Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2009, 04:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
north wind and ecomod

Pondering contrast of several thoughts lately. One was computing, and realizing, I do not need to upgrade, after a certain chipset came out in 2004...

that is great news. The first in history to possibly go for a decade or more, and not sit there like a 386 multiplying single digit numbers ...

The other is of course the automobile and rigs.

There is a certain wind that starts in late november, sometimes earlier. It gets everything, indoors and out. It can make a brick building creak and moan...it can pop a mosfet off a mobo, it can do alot of things to what marketing deems strong.

I quickly remember, as if the wind slammed my brain...

no thoughts on aero. No thoughts on intricate sensors, dangling duct tapes, inferior wheels, tires, exhaust and even safe-lite replacement glass.... I ponder 1/8th inch thick urethane where it matters...

I ponder 2 gallons extra, each and every start for all fuel injected automobiles. Big goofy pulsing gas drop dangling slops buzzing away to whatever crystal is on the motherboard....and even that can't warm up ...

Ever heat a diesel fuel tank ...with diesel fuel burning underneath it? Those days are gone, unless a wilderness trucker, and even then, enough battery gets to an invertor....

Something to think about, the next time you get in a very non-american cultured 12 inch wheeled 3 cylinder vehicle....and call it economical..

I have found a champion, in just about everything...and it is not marketed.

A few gallons each and every cold start from here to may or june....

I'd rather yell at an old carbed sube in the cold..."warm up you stubborn bi**ch!".. and know, I saved enough for coffee and munchkins and dunkin donuts.

I mention this, because it is getting worse. When is the dainty gonna leave ...
solid states please. Solid as Gods weathers.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-29-2009, 02:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
For sure!

Except no, EFI doesn't pissaway a coupla gallons every cold start. It just ain't. No way bucko. Nuh uh. Where did you come up with that?

I've heated diesel tanks with shallow pans filled with hot coals from the woodstove. Oh yeah, good times! not.

ANd I too need to copy XP or Vista or 7 or ? onto my old tower which just might have enough brains to handle it. ME and 98 are just too obsolete and they do sit there crunching numbers dumb.

Pondering urethane... weigh or estimate the weight of you soobyglass then weigh or estimate the weight of the plastic replacement... I've done it... weight savings weren't fantastic and fe impact for all practical purposes nil although if you're going after every last pound then OK... better dump before every trip!!! but realize you will no longer be able to scrape your windows when they frost up. That was one factor that kept me from doing it. Oh and the weight savings will NOT be enough to counteract all your welding and painting, I gurantee it!

Old 11-29-2009, 02:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
You'd be better off saving weight by cutting large sections of body panels out and replacing them with fiberglass sheets... and really, you're still no better off than when you started.

I might suggest Windows 2000 Pro if you can't run XP reliably. Of course, there are also the various Linux distros, most of which seem to run themselves lately... no user interface required, other than learning that C:/ isn't a drive, it's an image of your computer's expression while running Windows software. Linux looks more like =)

Old 11-29-2009, 12:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgd73 View Post
Something to think about, the next time you get in a very non-american cultured 12 inch wheeled 3 cylinder vehicle....and call it economical..
(Sigh) You might want to look at a map of the US, and think about the fact that a good bit of the country - and even more of the people - is south of Maine, and therefore a good bit warmer. Heck, there are places where people haven't ever SEEN snow. So why should they drive around in Maine (or Alaska) capable vehicles? That just raises the price of fuel for everyone.
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
Christ (11-29-2009)
Old 11-29-2009, 04:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
There's that, then there's also the fact that some of the more capable drivers can get around just fine with FWD vehicles, even during the winter. AWD isn't any safer than FWD, in fact, I often believe that it gives a false sense of safety to most drivers, who believe that just because they can go, they can also stop.

That and the people that think that if they can go this fast, they must be able to go faster just as safely.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
AWD isn't any safer than FWD, in fact, I often believe that it gives a false sense of safety to most drivers, who believe that just because they can go, they can also stop.
Hopefully not venturing too far, uhm, north of the topic, but I can't quite agree. AWD and FWD are relatively equal safety-wise, when all-season tires are in use. But AWD + 4 winter tires is a whole 'nother matter.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
I'm with Christ on this. 15 years in snow country, and the best combination is a light FWD and studded tires all around. My wife and I both preferred the ~2000 lb. RWD econocar to the 4500 lb. 4X4 (both with studded tires at all four corners, because the 4X4 took forever to stop on slick roads. Too much inertia. It's simple physics. The 4X4 was nice for packing down the snow before the plows got to our street, but once it was packed, all of us in my neighborhood got along just fine with our econoboxes, and my 5 mpg 4X4 stayed parked.

When we got FWD econoboxes, life was even better.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Old 11-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
I agree with Frank on EFI v. carbs. You simply don't see EFI cars going down the road spewing out black unburned gas smoke, like you used to see with carburated cars.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Old 11-30-2009, 12:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
15 years in snow country, and the best combination is a light FWD and studded tires all around.
How about a light AWD?
Old 11-30-2009, 12:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
If I can get around northern MN with a lowered Tempo fwd on half-bald tires... how much traction do you need?

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
Christ (11-30-2009)
Reply  Post New Thread