EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Alternative Transportation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/alternative-transportation.html)
-   -   Not Totally Green (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/not-totally-green-7210.html)

dremd 02-22-2009 10:37 PM

Not Totally Green

But Greenish + Totally cool.

My dad has been wanting a classic motorized bike forever, I tried to do an Electric for him, but he didn't like it. So I got him one of these 80CC MOTOR BICYCLE ENGINE KIT MOTORIZED BIKE GAS MOPEd - eBay (item 190286734460 end time Feb-22-09 21:07:44 PST) for his 56 Hawthorn.

I just got it up and running yesterday; I need to modify the chain guard to clear the motor, install the second chain guard (paint it first) and install the front disc brake I got off of the bike that became my electric bike, find some nice period pedals, a nice period Seat, and most importantly build a more attractive fuel tank.

It has killer torque, feels stupid fast, will spin the rear tire in the grass, has an effective top speed of 26 mph (Iphone GPS), sounds "cool" and most importantly is FUN FUN FUN to ride. I'd love to see what MPG it gets, but there is (and will be) no instrumentation on board.

Anyways Here's a pic
http://gallery.me.com/dremd/100063/photo/web.jpg

Lazarus 02-22-2009 11:10 PM

Nice job. Do you need the pedals hooked to the chain? Won't they be spinning crazy fast or is that freewheeling hub?

Wilden 02-23-2009 04:28 AM

I would really hope that that's a freewheeling hub, would be bloody dangerous otherwise.

dcb 02-23-2009 07:21 AM

Did they tell you what the EPA certification number was?

dremd 02-23-2009 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus (Post 89078)
Nice job. Do you need the pedals hooked to the chain? Won't they be spinning crazy fast or is that freewheeling hub?

There are actually 2 chains on the bike now. 1 Un-interrupted Factory chain with pedals and another with a sprocket clamped to the opposite side of the rear wheel (Which works surprisingly well.).

dremd 02-23-2009 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilden (Post 89096)
I would really hope that that's a freewheeling hub, would be bloody dangerous otherwise.

The Factory free wheel (pedal) stays put.

The motor does not free-wheel, but it has a hand operated clutch.

dremd 02-23-2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcb (Post 89099)
Did they tell you what the EPA certification number was?

No; If I had to guess I'd say that it doesn't actually pass smog.

blueflame 02-23-2009 09:04 AM

By moving the fuel line to a clear plastic bottle with marked levels, and the iphone GPS you could easily see how much fuel this bad boy guzzles.

I'd bet using a smaller rear sprocket will increase FE.

Check your spark plug after a run to see if you can lean it up with an adjustment or main jet.

I'm used to 80cc 2 strokes that do 80mph so this is a very detuned setup....

dremd 02-23-2009 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueflame (Post 89119)
By moving the fuel line to a clear plastic bottle with marked levels, and the iphone GPS you could easily see how much fuel this bad boy guzzles.

That could definitely work.

[QUOTE=blueflame;89119
I'd bet using a smaller rear sprocket will increase FE.
[/QUOTE]
Probably, but at the speeds my dad will use it at, probably not much, he's entirely content at 10 mph.

Quote:

Check your spark plug after a run to see if you can lean it up with an adjustment or main jet.

Unfortunately the frame gets in the way of plug removal and the motor has to come loose, then adjust chain . .. .. But definitely a good idea

Quote:

I'm used to 80cc 2 strokes that do 80mph so this is a very detuned setup....

Do those have transmissions?
I actually tweaked the mixture screw while running at wot with the iphone out to get top speed up from 19 (out of the box) to 26

blueflame 02-24-2009 04:45 AM

6 speed gearboxs and large expansion chambers.

Avoid ethanol fuels with a 2 stroke! They can suffer badly