EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Odd new member to the forum (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/odd-new-member-forum-34725.html)

crux 01-04-2017 01:02 PM

Odd new member to the forum

1 Attachment(s)
Why odd?

Well I have a lifted Toyota Tacoma with heavy duty off road bumpers and roof top tent.

Last highway trip it averaged 17mpg which for the truck is not to bad as is. However why settle when I know it could do better.

Besides the obvious, I'm interested in keeping it a dual purpose vehicle able to tackle off road terrain while increasing its fuel efficiency.

Thus far I'm considering the following:
- grill block on the 3 of the 4 lower holes out of aluminum (Need one open for a winch)
- Fabricate partial grill blocks in the upper section (retain cooling capacity while reducing drag)
- Foam weather stripping around headlamps reducing gaps
- Removing the back tent and cage (weight reduction & drag reduction)
- Install canvas topper (drag reduction)

Any one else have any suggestions?

I'd really like to get it up to 20mpg on the highway if possible. Know it will never be as efficient as any vehicle here, but if it can be improved upon ...

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...7&d=1483552019

skyking 01-04-2017 01:23 PM

Consider a flexible airdam that can take a beating and still help out with aerodynamics. That is what I am putting on my 3500 Dodge 4x4.

t vago 01-04-2017 02:27 PM

You might want to also consider a warm air intake, an electrohydraulic power steering pump conversion, and an aerocap for your bed. These things helped get my Dodge Dakota Quad Cab up to better than 19 MPG per tank.

ThermionicScott 01-04-2017 02:55 PM

Welcome to the group! If you don't have a ScanGauge/UltraGauge/MPGuino yet, consider getting one soon. The real-time data is well worth the cost, especially when considering grille blocks. :thumbup:

oil pan 4 01-04-2017 03:24 PM

If it's possible maybe do a portable winch?
I didn't like the idea of my warn winch being left out in the elements or where it could possibly be stolen so mine hooks into a Reese hitch, front or back.

skyking 01-04-2017 04:42 PM

I like those portables and need to invest in one too.

crux 01-04-2017 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 531208)
If it's possible maybe do a portable winch?
I didn't like the idea of my warn winch being left out in the elements or where it could possibly be stolen so mine hooks into a Reese hitch, front or back.

I would if the winch did not mount behind the bumper. I do like the idea of being able to mount it on the hitch when needed though.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone

oil pan 4 01-04-2017 06:16 PM

Oh and if you don't have a snatch block with chain or cable long enough to loop around a tree you should keep at least one handy.

elhigh 01-05-2017 08:31 AM

Hi,

Nice rig. Yours isn't the worst mileage ride on these pages, not by a long way. There's one guy trying to wrestle a 1980s RV into the middle teens, for instance. But that's immaterial - it's not about the numbers the other guy has, it's about the numbers you have, and what you can achieve.

The tent looks like it would be a pain to remove/reinstall all the time. Perhaps consider an A-B-A test to determine whether there's any advantage to be had by closing in the sides? Or testing whether it would be good to keep the tent sitting directly atop the bed most of the time, and only elevate it for use.

That big bumper looks pretty darned sturdy...almost like you could bolt things to it if you wanted to, like a winch...or an air dam? Maybe you could consider fabbing up a fascia that was super easy to remove, like the Cherokee guys do. Air control when you're on the road, clearance when you're going to go wheeling.

Luisa Considine 02-15-2017 05:49 AM

good story)))