Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Electric Car High School Class?

For some time, I have been thinking that it would be great to have a high-school class in electric car construction.

When I was in high school, algebra and other requirements were not my favorite thing. It seemed like most of my classes weren't things that would be useful in life. Certainly they were not anything to get excited about in the morning.

What I did enjoy were art classes and the few shop classes that I got to take. Here was some real actually DOING something instead of memorizing dates or conjugating verbs.

Now imagine high school students today. They may not have any classes they get excited about either. Drop-outs are far too frequent. Manufacturing jobs are all now overseas, but we are told that the "Green Economy" is going to provide the jobs of the future.

What if there was a class in electric car construction? Students would learn by doing. Those who excel with the mechanical would enjoy the "hands-on" aspect. Those who love theory and electronics would be needed as well. The artistic could do the paint job. Of course schools don't have budgets for projects like this, so maybe the more social students could do fund-raising bake sales and car washes.

When done, every student in that class would have a project that would make them proud. That would keep them in school. That would be amazing on any job application or resume.

Imagine a high school sophomore who helps build an electric car, and the first car he ever gets to drive IN HIS LIFE is electric!

How do we set up a class like this? I have no idea. I am not a teacher, not an administrator, and no part of the school system. I am clueless as to how to start something like this. But maybe you know how. Perhaps you at least have some advice or ideas. If you do, please comment below.

One path, similar to my idea is the ELECTRATHON. Electrathon is a high school extra-curricular competition where students design, build, and compete electric go-carts. The competition includes an endurance race and competitive, creative presentations of the vehicles to a panel of judges.

Last summer, I was able to help out an Electrathon team, by loaning them an ammeter from my Electro-Metro. Theirs broke shortly before the big race and needed one for last-minute testing. The students were bright and had a variety of skills for working on the vehicles. While having a well-equiped machine shop at the school helped, it's really the students attitude and creativity that can make projects like this happen.

So how about it? A few of us tinkers work in our garages on eco-friendly vehicles, but how can we get students excited about school and train them in skills that could be useful in the future?

Let me know, your input is very important.

Thanks,
Ben

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
I think it's a great idea

I can think of potential dangers that the parents/teachers may use to not let this get off the ground (welding, electric hazards, etc.). Also, where do find a teacher who not only knows how to build an electric, but also how to motivate the kids? (there's a guy in my town who drives an electro-metro...)
I think the first step should be an extra-curricular course, only for those really interested in it.
If it gets popular enough, then maybe turn it into an elective?

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 04-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
I like it! You can probably get some pointers from the West Philly High School -- they have built several EV/hybrids, and they may be (still?) in the X-Prize?

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 04-07-2010, 05:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
1974 Citicar, an Electric Car
Old 07-24-2010, 12:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

High School Electric Vehicle

Our High School built an electric vehicle for the SMARTTchallenge.com and have taken it to the competition in NC the last 3 years. We have discussed that it would be nice to start a competition here in the midwest. You can checkout our car at mvevcar.com.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Auto shop sometimes caters to eco-friendly. EVs aren't necessarily more ecofriendly than any other car, mind you.

Reply  Post New Thread