EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Oil Change Contraption (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/oil-change-contraption-4142.html)

Arminius 07-29-2008 05:09 AM

Oil Change Contraption

Hopefully one day I'll be able to sit around the table with my grandkids and talk about the day when cars had containers of oil in them that had to be changed regularly,........and they won't believe me!

Anyhow, what do you guys think about the contraption in the link below? I suspect few will think it does a good enough job, but I just wanted to see.

SkyMall - Oil Extractor

Arminius 07-29-2008 05:11 AM

Oh yeah,....don't miss this quote at the bottom of the page:

Quote:

If you're skeptical about extracting oil through the dipstick tube, consider the fact that this is how Mercedes-Benz factory technicians are trained to change oil.

atomicradish 07-29-2008 05:50 AM

You still have to get under the car to change the oil filter...

Arminius 07-29-2008 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicradish (Post 48682)

Yep.

Tony Raine 07-29-2008 09:07 AM

yeah, still have to get under to change the filter. i would worry about not getting all the old oil out. sure, it wont really hurt anything, but if i'm taking the time to change my oil, i want it done 100% right, not 95%.

this was a much better investment for me
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46...s/IMG_0335.jpg

very low collapsed height (for my wife's car) and hi- lift (for my truck). plus its aluminum, so its very light weight. when i change her oil, i lift it up and put it on ramps (i don't like to drive up them), and throw some jackstands under it too. probably $250 investment (jack, ramps, and stands), and has many other uses.

MetroMPG 07-29-2008 01:25 PM

And Tony, if you have any questions about how to use the jack, just ask the cat. Looks like he has thoroughly studied the instructions on the box.

Noel 07-29-2008 03:05 PM

That's how it's done on most I/O boats.

I would call it less than Ideal... The plug is the EASY part... it's the filter that is the pain.

My Geo is easy... My wife used to have a Cavalier, THAT dern thing took 3 elbows to reach around behind the engine, next to firewall to remove the filter.

MazdaMatt 07-29-2008 03:26 PM

In conjuction with an oil filter relocation kit, it would definately make changing oil a breeze, and a clean breeze at that!

My prot5 filter also requires extra elbows to get at.

Tony Raine 07-29-2008 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 48784)
And Tony, if you have any questions about how to use the jack, just ask the cat. Looks like he has thoroughly studied the instructions on the box.

yup, he taught me how to change the oil too :thumbup: :D

cfg83 07-29-2008 06:14 PM

MetroMPG -

Quote:

Wait, I'm confused. I thought the investment *was* the cat. Everyone knows that cats are masters at changing oil. My Siamese could change my car's oil in 20 minutes flat. Not bad for an 11 lb cat.

Am I missing something?

CarloSW2

dremd 07-29-2008 09:19 PM

The TDI guys swear by the Pella.

I think the effectiveness depends on the design; some engines will work better than others.

I fI was going to spend $65 + shipping then I'd just splurge for a bypass filter and quit Changing oil. <- Guess what's on my TDI :-)

wikityler 07-29-2008 09:49 PM

So for $65 you get a bucket and a length of vinyl tube?

wagonman76 07-29-2008 10:50 PM

Ive never thought too highly about sucking the oil out the dipstick tube. Use the drain plug, then any gunk in the oil will flush out with it.

My cars have always been too low for ramps, so rather than jack it up and screw with stands, sometimes I just drive it up onto a couple 2x6s and that gives enough clearance to get under it to change the oil.

thebrad 07-29-2008 11:27 PM

They're primarily for marine applications, I bought one and used it on my car when I overfilled the engine with oil (compensating for a leak), then fixed the leak.

In hindsight, I guess I could have just pulled the drain plug and collected the fresh oil into something and then poured the proper amount back in but for whatever reason this device seemed easier when I ordered it. :p

As far as sediment or whatever in the bottom of the oil pan, if you have to worry about that I think you probably need a better filtration device.

If someone wants to buy one for half off, let me know. ;)

TheDon 07-29-2008 11:39 PM

Yes, new Mercedes Benz autos require a vacuum evacutator due to all of the skid plates under neath, its dreadful. I use one for my 1985 300D Turbodiesel. I can get the oil plug out from the bottom without jacks but I like staying clean and I spend enough time under the car already.

To top it all off most Mercedes Benz engines use a drop in type of filter element.
http://fatfranz.files.wordpress.com/...m617-0612b.jpg

its to the right, the canister looking dealy. All I do is unbolt it, grab a plastic bag and flip it into the bag, no mess at all. Then I pump the mity vac liqui vac and let it sit for 20 minutes while it sucks all of the oil out. then use the factory oil funnel aka the oil filter housing and fill it with 8 quarts of heavy duty truck and bus oil then drop in the filter and bolt it up. No fuss or mess.

dremd 07-30-2008 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wikityler (Post 48959)
So for $65 you get a bucket and a length of vinyl tube?

And a Vacuum pump

Arminius 07-30-2008 01:29 AM

Quote:

At least he's changing the oil in the comfort of his livingroom. Why didn't I think of that? :confused:

ChrstphrR 07-30-2008 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicradish (Post 48682)

On my car (VW Jetta), the filter's up top. I've seen these sort of extractors talked about on TDIclub's forums - the main brand bandied about is a Pella Oil Extractor.

Up here in Canada, I've seen the same sort of device at Princess Auto... I've been thinking about getting one, since a few of us at my workplace will occasionally do minor car work (like oil changes) after hours on our vehicles.

wikityler 07-30-2008 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dremd (Post 49043)
And a Vacuum pump

Vacuum pump is not needed, just let the tube siphon out the oil.

justpassntime 07-30-2008 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 48878)
MetroMPG -

Wait, I'm confused. I thought the investment *was* the cat. Everyone knows that cats are masters at changing oil. My Siamese could change my car's oil in 20 minutes flat. Not bad for an 11 lb cat.

Am I missing something?

CarloSW2

You are missing something. You need a few more cats and open a business, Purfect Oil Changes.

I just hope you have all the right papers for your cat or he might get deported and you fined. Remember what happened to Kathy Lee Gifford and the sweat shop?

tasdrouille 07-30-2008 03:09 PM

When I'll get a house built, I'll do exactly like my father in law did with his current house. He extended the basement under the garage floor and had a 4X6 hole made in the garage floor. You get the same functionality as a pit, but it's legal (at least here) since there is a safety exit, unlike a real pit.

MazdaMatt 07-30-2008 03:13 PM

You're missing something: the car lift so you can park a couple cars in the basement :)

Tony Raine 07-30-2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 48878)
MetroMPG -

Am I missing something?

CarloSW2

my cats fat and lazy. he's a 21 pound supervisor.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46...s/100_1063.jpg

justpassntime 07-31-2008 04:46 AM

I think you can buy something similar to this from any boating accessory store. They use them instead of dumping the oil into the bilge and having to wash the bilge out. They are much cheaper also.