Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Classifieds > For Sale
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2009, 05:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

3-stage VTEC engine for Civic

My buddy Jerry got in yet another japanese market 3-stage VTEC engine. In short they produced this engine for the 96-98 Civic's in Japan/Europe. It's similar to the VTEC-E but with yet another set of cam lobes and 2nd VTEC solenoid which offers 130HP on the high cam while maintaining the VTEC-E economy. Some members here claim 50mpg with this engine swapped into a Civic.
The motor is located in Bellingham, WA and is priced at
$550.00
The engine is a complete longblock with auto tranny as removed from a car, you may witness a compression test if you like.
It does not have an ECU, so you will need to source one or use a chipped/tuned ECU for proper operation. The engine will run fine on the normal ECU's but only in 12valve mode.
2020imports@gmail.com is his e-mail address.
A majority of his customers are hot rodders so these generally don't sell in that croud, but it's a pretty rare engine that needs a home. No affiliation or kickbacks come my way, just looking to connect someone with a need to someone who has...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
So tempting, but I just rebuilt a D15Z1 and threw it in my VX over the summer. Plus, getting the correct ECU for that motor is a little tough, but can be done.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

That would be the P2J ecu. They are availiable.
With access to my local tuner only minutes away were going to make mine work with a chipped 92-95 ECU.
The integra GSR computer has two points of load/rpm activation-fuel maps- for the intake butterflies and the other obviously the VTEC engagement.
He's confident we can use the "butterfly" signal to engage the 1st stage of VTEC along with the regular signal to kick in the high cam.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
The integra GSR computer has two points of load/rpm activation-fuel maps- for the intake butterflies and the other obviously the VTEC engagement.
He's confident we can use the "butterfly" signal to engage the 1st stage of VTEC along with the regular signal to kick in the high cam.
Good thinking, I never thought of using that ECU.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have this engine running on a obd1 p72 ecu with a hondat s300 ecu, iab is controlled only by rpm with a chipped ecu, with the hondata s300 it can be set by rpm/load/tps just like vtec with fuel/timing adjustment
Old 05-25-2010, 10:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

vtec sends 12volts at 1amp for the solenoid, as where iab is a simple ground in the ecu, so the iab wire should be connected to a relay, the relay has key on 12v to it and the ecu will ground the relay turning it on and thus connecting the needed 12v to the 12-16valve solenoid. I achieve 42mpg on a good tank with ac, 9psi boost to redline here and there, plus 65-75 mph on highway.

Reply  Post New Thread