Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009, 01:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Bug - '69 Volkswagen Bug Base
Northwestern Hallo!

I greet you all from the hilly land of WA! I come from Preludepower.com - Powered by vBulletin and was brought here by Hackaday. I live up 600', commute to sea level, and somehow managed to get a rough estimate of 47mpg in a car that is supposed to get 18mpg city, with few mods. I want to get a degree in alternative energy at OIT, and experience with automotive at WyoTech or something. I love solar stuff, just not the whole.. really expensive part. But yeah. I'll probably post either stupid, or odd ideas/suggestions.

And yes, I'm aware the Honda Prelude is considered a ''Sports Car''. Well, this one gets better MPG than my dad's 01' Civic (Standard tranny, 41mpg [He cant and wont hypermile]), and a lot better mpg than a friend's 95' Accord that gets 18mpg. So yeah.

Be prepared for.. stuff! And seemingly stupid questions! Like this!
Fuel Injector On/Off Switch: Damage? - Preludepower.com

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-24-2009, 09:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Welcome to the site and congrats on the good mileage. What kind of mods have you done to the Prelude?
Old 02-24-2009, 06:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

So far I've done a fuel cutoff switch, stock spoiler delete, and I've switched to 5W-30 oil. I have to redo the fuel cutoff switch though, because I didn't pay enough attention to the firing order, and so it's firing twice in a row, then missing, instead of hit miss hit miss. I might also have to switch to 10W oil because I found out not too long ago my valve cover was leaking.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Welcome aboard, sir!
Old 02-24-2009, 07:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
I wouldn't bother switching oils. Just go grab yourself a new gasket or take the current one off, clean it up, and run a small bead of permatex gasket maker over it and slap it back on.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Wow, nice ride! 4WS is a rare find...

The trick to heavy Hondas is monitoring the fuel economy constantly. They tend to like to run a bit warmer than normal (intake temps and coolant). Plus, engine-off coasting or throttle-cut on deceleration (DFCO) will help out.

Regarding the valve cover gasket, it probably was going bad anyway. I run the required oil and had a small oozing problem after 10-years and 130K miles. A simple replacement of the gasket fixed the problem. This particular vehicle has had very few replacement issues: gasket, radiator, and and rear brake caliper. That's it.

Seriously, enjoy your unique car. The 4-wheel steering is indeed a rare animal (by the way, have you tested it with the engine off?)

RH77

_
_
Old 02-25-2009, 01:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I'll probably get a new gasket, and seal it up as well. As far as I know, it's original, and the car has 186k on it. I tried sealing up the old one, but I don't think that worked well. I have to was my engine bay where the leak was at to find out if what's on there is residual or current leak oil. My poor car just needs a full tune-up. Hasn't had one in years.

Yeah, the four wheel steering works when the car is off. It's the only kind in the world (Wikipedia!) that is all mechanical. I love it. I accelerate on corners when people have to brake, it's actually the only reason I don't have a VW Bug right now. I wish I had a manual though. But I don't think 47mpg is bad on an auto transmission. I forgot to mention that since my muffler was shot (no pipe leading up to it, and the bottom of it had been ground/scraped horribly), I replaced it with a cherry bomb. I know that's probably blasphemy on here, but it's all I can afford. Still got the catalytic converter though, and I wont remove that.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
gtkid2002 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtkid2002 View Post
So far I've done a fuel cutoff switch, stock spoiler delete, and I've switched to 5W-30 oil. I have to redo the fuel cutoff switch though, because I didn't pay enough attention to the firing order, and so it's firing twice in a row, then missing, instead of hit miss hit miss. I might also have to switch to 10W oil because I found out not too long ago my valve cover was leaking.
Welcome to EM! You're already ahead of me, the fuel cutoff is on my todo list for this year. Rumor has it I can just disable the fuel injectors at the fuse with a momentary switch, so I may have an easier time of it.

I think the late 1980's/early 1990's was an MPG heyday for Honda, so your Prelude is just *waiting* to save more fuel.

Like RH77 says, 4WS is very rare. I wish I kept the brochure for those.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Reply  Post New Thread