Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2013, 06:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
How do you help others get better MPG? (On the road, while driving)

The majority of the topics on Ecomodder are aimed at increasing personal fuel economy, and rightly so. After all, your own actions are the easiest to influence. However, there are small ways to increase the fuel economy of other drivers sharing the road, and sometimes the small things can make big differences.

Here are some of the things I do that may help increase the fuel economy for others:
  • When stopped at a red light, I will move to the far left of the lane to allow others to sneak by and make a right turn.
  • While stopped at a red light, I will quickly accelerate immediately after a light turns green if I see someone approaching, preventing them from also coming to a stop.
  • In stop and go traffic, I attempt to drive at the average speed, allowing a gap to develop in front of me when traffic is moving, and closing the gap as traffic comes to a stop. This not only reduces my acceleration/brake events, but also those of everyone following behind.
  • While approaching a bend in the road that most people would brake for, I gradually reduce speed, eliminating the need to brake, and hopefully reducing the need to brake for those following behind.
  • Timing lights to preserve momentum. The momentum of the cars following behind is also preserved (This may annoy drivers, regardless of the fact they are getting better economy without sacrificing time.

What are some other ways we can influence the fuel economy of other drivers?

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (10-07-2013), jeff88 (10-06-2013), MetroMPG (10-06-2013), user removed (10-06-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

sizematters - '08 smart 4-2 passion cabrio
90 day: 51.99 mpg (US)

escape - '06 Ford Escape xlt
90 day: 26.78 mpg (US)

Buick - '04 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 27.26 mpg (US)
I just answer questions and explain the obvious mods on my car to people who notice them.Chumly

Old 10-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Good topic. I use some of those same techniques. The only one that people seem to have problems with is point number four.

Quote:
While approaching a bend in the road that most people would brake for, I gradually reduce speed, eliminating the need to brake, and hopefully reducing the need to brake for those following behind.
Even when I am above the listed speed limit I am invariably passed by following vehicles on more than a two lane road. Example: Going into a posted 35mph curve I might be coasting down and still be doing 40+mph. The vehicle behind me accelerates to pass and often is back up to 50+ by the time it actually gets to the curve. It's not that the curve can't handle the 50mph speed, it's just that the posted limit is 35 for safety reasons. Everybody's in a hurry. Oh well.
JJ

JJ
Old 10-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Black sheep 2013 - '11 Volkswagen Jetta S
90 day: 29.01 mpg (US)

black sheep 2014 - '11 volkswagen jetta trendline plus
90 day: 29.78 mpg (US)

Black sheep 2015 - '11 Vw Jetta mk6
90 day: 22.42 mpg (US)
tell them how much money im saving,
Old 10-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Black sheep 2013 - '11 Volkswagen Jetta S
90 day: 29.01 mpg (US)

black sheep 2014 - '11 volkswagen jetta trendline plus
90 day: 29.78 mpg (US)

Black sheep 2015 - '11 Vw Jetta mk6
90 day: 22.42 mpg (US)
If someone is burning up behind me i get out of the way quick so they dont have to slow down and waste energy.

Last edited by dmafanp; 10-06-2013 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: ****ed up
Old 10-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sweetie - '11 Hyundai Sonata GLS
90 day: 39.35 mpg (US)

My Miles - '03 Combo GLS/KLX/Ninja
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)

Sipper' - '04 Kawasaki Ninja 250
90 day: 74.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmafanp View Post
tell them how much money im saving,
That's the main point I use to encourage others to at least give it a go before blowing it off. Had a guy ask the other day how much it was REALLY saving me and when I told him for starters that in less than 3 years I have made 4 car payments @$337 for FREE (based on savings over the EPA est.), not to mention less tire wear, brake wear, car wear in general. At that point he was speechless.

Then I told him the number could have been much greater if I could have learned everything all at once instead of over a 3 year span.
Made sure he knew a good tutor would help immensely and the reason for that is my savings have been far greater in the last 1.5 yrs than the first 1.5 yrs.

Another guy asked about my baseline mpg and I told him my lifetime baseline with this car keeps going up, indicating that even after 3 years I am still learning, like most of us I guess.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
When stopped at a red light, I will move to the far left of the lane to allow others to sneak by and make a right turn.
OMG, this is one of my biggest driving pet peeves! On a similar note, when stopped at a red light, I move up so that I only about 5 or 6 feet away from the car in front of me (not 1 or 2 car lengths). That way people can get into the left turn lane, since the turn light usually goes first, they won't have to sit through another round of lights.

Another thing to remember is that the more you allow people to drive (like the two scenarios above), the less likely they are to speed around the town, which is more eco friendly and safer (which is more eco friendly).

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff88 For This Useful Post:
101Volts (10-07-2013)
Old 10-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackstone View Post
Good topic. I use some of those same techniques. The only one that people seem to have problems with is point number four.

Even when I am above the listed speed limit I am invariably passed by following vehicles on more than a two lane road. Example: Going into a posted 35mph curve I might be coasting down and still be doing 40+mph. The vehicle behind me accelerates to pass and often is back up to 50+ by the time it actually gets to the curve. It's not that the curve can't handle the 50mph speed, it's just that the posted limit is 35 for safety reasons. Everybody's in a hurry. Oh well.
JJ
Unless the sign actually says "speed limit" the posting of a recommended speed is merely cautionary, not a speed limit. Such signs are usually yellow and are usually found in places like exit ramps. Official "speed limit" signs are always white.
The Following User Says Thank You to XYZ For This Useful Post:
101Volts (10-07-2013)
Old 10-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
The majority of the topics on Ecomodder are aimed at increasing personal fuel economy, and rightly so. After all, your own actions are the easiest to influence. However, there are small ways to increase the fuel economy of other drivers sharing the road, and sometimes the small things can make big differences.
You suggestions are all commendable and are part of being a considerate and alert driver. Unfortunately many drivers on the road are neither.

Some more negative ones might be added, such as blowing the horn to awaken someone at the head of a left turn lane who won't go when the green arrow turns green. Such inconsiderate (comatose?) drivers usually make it through the light while it is still green, but others behind them often can't. Green lights don't get any greener and they don't stay green for very long. Wake up and drive. Sleep at home, not at a green light.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XYZ For This Useful Post:
101Volts (10-07-2013), chumly (10-06-2013)
Old 10-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
If I can keep moving, so can everybody behind me ...

By passing them again in the curves on a highway exchange, probably @ double their mpg, I show them being fast on the straights isn't what gets you ahead

Eco tyres have come a pretty long way.
Dunlop's BluResponse actually handle quite well.

Reply  Post New Thread