EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   One more TDI...with a twist (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/one-more-tdi-twist-689.html)

tasdrouille 01-17-2008 09:23 AM

One more TDI...with a twist

Hi there,

I just got interested in ecomodding and it has nothing to do with my TDI.

With the kid now, saying the wife's hatchback Aveo was small is an euphemism. So we just bought a 2008 Hyundai Elantra to replace her car.

Being used to my ecomodless TDI which gets 50 mpg on the highway just by setting the cruise at 70 mph, I had to do something about the Elantra's economy which EPA rating is 33 mpg on the highway.

So here's what I plan to do:

Front grill block
Smooth out the under-car
Lower the suspension
LRR tires
Potentially add removable rear wheel well covers (I really don't like the look but I will probably want them for long highway trips)
I'd really like to experiment with VGs too.
Some sensor tweaks affecting fueling, for now I can think of IAT and MAF electrical mods (I have quite a lot of experience with sensor mods on the TDI).
Maybe a fuel economy oriented turbo setup eventually

Well, that's pretty much it. You guys look like a fun bunch to hang out with.

Have a nice day,

Martin

SVOboy 01-17-2008 09:34 AM

Welcome to the site! It sounds like you have some pretty good ideas already, so keep us updated with questions and progess.

:turtle:

metroschultz 01-17-2008 11:48 AM

Greetings and Salutations.
Good to have you.
Give us more info on you sensor tweaking. I am not an electronic genius and could use all the help I can get. I am sure others would like the info too.
Start a thread on you build-up of the Hyundai.
S.

tasdrouille 01-17-2008 03:49 PM

The first step is to figure out how sensor inputs are interpreted by the ECU for fueling purposes. Some ECU will give more importance to the air charge temperature in regards to injected fuel quantity than others. Tweaking the MAF sensor is usually straight forward as it is one of the main inputs normally used by ECUs to determine the IQ. One of the reason IAT mods used alone do not have much impact on FE is that most ECUs will retard timing for emission reduction pourposes when the air charge temp is too high. So you need to use this mod in conjunction with a timing mod. So by managing the outputs of those sensors using most of the time resistors and capacitors, we are able to control how lean we want to be running.

The cool part about sensor tweaks is that you are always in total control of your mods if you have some switches mounted on the dash.

Who 01-17-2008 04:12 PM

Salut, Martin.

The beauty of wheel fairings is that they may not save enough to pay for themselves so if you really don't like them, you're easily excused - but it does scream hardcore! ;)

MetroMPG 01-22-2008 02:33 PM

Martin - bonjour!

I've been to Quebec City several times (my most recent stays were inside the Bassin Louise aboard a schooner). What a charming and beautiful place.

Looking forward to watching the progress on your guzzler.

Bienvenue a Ecomodder!

Darin