Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 37.45 mpg (US)

22 Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XL
90 day: 41.9 mpg (US)
45 minutes for 2 miles in Oshkosh, WI

On the way to EAA air show in Oshkosh Friday, I spent about 45 minutes to cover 2 miles. Traffic was crawling slowly, some stop and go, only one horn honker. The horn honker was a semi about 4 vehicles behind me. I could see that traffic was not moving for at least 1/4 mile ahead, and he could see farther. He was also racing his engine. At one point, he tried to go onto the shoulder, but the 1/2 ton truck behind me did the same to block him.

I was mostly able to move about 100 yards at a time by waiting for a gap, and doing a short accel, followed by EOC. Got 29.5 MPG for that 70 mile trip.

Important question: Should I have mooned him?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
The PRC.

Yes.

If you had passengers they should have too.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
A co-worker of mine is there. He was raving about the EAA. He said that even someone who hates airplanes could spend weeks there and not see everything worth seeing. Lots of good information for people interested in various fabriction techniques. Plus, it's always good to spend time around vehicles as aerodynamic as aircraft are. Let us know how you enjoy the show.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hmmm!! That truck driver could have easily been one of those MEAN Chicago drivers I have made reference to!!

The moon may be the opposite of the sun; but I have a feeling that he still wouldn't see the light!
Old 08-01-2011, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

They had several electric airplanes there. Sonex Aircraft is developing a modular electric drive system - motor, controller, battery pack.

A person could spend all week there and still not see everything. They had as many as 19 separate symposiums going on at one time.

Don't ask me for details - I just wandered around and made no attempt to take notes.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

plus there is all the road construction there. did not make it this year, had to go with son to cub scout camp, but on sunday we did get to take a ride in a 1942 c-47 (military version of dc-3) it's a troup transport and paratrouper plane... awesome. they have a few planes at the outagamie county airport for giving rides.

last year we went in a 1929 ford trimotor and year before a old bell helicoptor, the bubble canapy ones like MASH
Old 08-01-2011, 10:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I was there on Tues. Traffic was much better then, but it still backed up at 8 heading into the parking lots.

It was good to see some uncommon Warbirds. In addition to the large group of P-51Ds, there were a couple of the early P-51A/Bs, a couple P-38s, a Hellcat, a Bearcat, and a FW190.

We spent some time at the Helicopter area, and saw a pretty neat 2-stroke light heli, along with a small turbine powered one.

Just walking around we saw and heard people from S. Africa, Zimbabwe, Australia, France, and Germany. Saw a bunch of unusual Rutan-design aircraft as well as Burt himself standing by the Beechcraft Starship.

Tons of amazing aircraft and a real interesting and friendly crowd.

Jay
Old 08-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Calibration Engineer

Subie - '00 Subaru Impreza STi JDM
90 day: 22.49 mpg (US)
I was just thinking if everyone hypermiled to an airshow they still wouldn't save the amount of fuel a Lancaster with it's 4 merlin engines burns in an hour! I'd like to say it's somewhere around 290ga/h!!!

Old 08-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackish View Post
I was just thinking if everyone hypermiled to an airshow they still wouldn't save the amount of fuel a Lancaster with it's 4 merlin engines burns in an hour! I'd like to say it's somewhere around 290ga/h!!!
Should I name you as a stalker, maybe after my AV posting ?

TBH the Practical History lesson of a Lancaster (or indeed a B-17 or a Spitfire or a Mustang) booming overhead to people who would otherwise think nothing of the sacrifices and efforts others made to keep us from evil are worth the fuel.

Someone towing a jet ski behind an SUV isn't.

All of this is IMHO of course.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

There's only a few dozen Lancasters, B17s, Spitfires, and Mustangs still flying in the entire world. Their total fuel consumption is effectively zero when compared to total world fuel consumption.

For obvious reasons, Englishmen would be expected to feel a little more strongly on the subject than many Americans.

FWIW, my father spent much of WW2 in the South Pacific keeping PBYs flying.

Reply  Post New Thread