Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2011, 12:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

New to Scooters?

I don't claim in any way to be an expert in scooters, but I've owned quite a few motorcycles; and most of them have been on the smaller size. If you don't mind an old fart trying to help; I've known several people who are disapointed and hurt after they spend big bucks to buy a new scooter for mpg; just to see it basically "burned up" in a year or so like an old toy! I know that most don't have full manual transmission, so especially w a small eng., its rather gutless! If you constantly have to keep it wound up most of the time to get anywhere; its like shooting yourself in the foot. If your life is very urban, and nothing over 30mph, anything will work. If normal life also includes 35-45mph., you're going to need a bigger eng. than a 50cc, or you can kiss it goodbye! I have some experience w older motorcycles(some that are tired to where it would be nice to rebuild, but $$$$$$$) that I gradually just lower the upper cruising speed I'm willing to go, to prolong its life. The "one thing" that has helped me the very most, is generally I don't use more than half my revs to redline ever! Most of my bikes live in the 2,000- 4,000 rpm range. You want your shifts at a point high enough not to lug the eng., and enough at least once in a while to keep carbon buildup away by keeping its throat cleared so to speak. Most of you want great mpg, or you wouldn't be on here. Remember, most cars are cheaper to repair than motorcycles. So if you can gain self-control; your 2 wheeler WILL last and last!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread