Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModder Blog Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2009, 04:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Honda Working on Variable Compression Ratio Engines

It’s been years since Honda brought us VTEC and frankly, some of us have been wondering when the company was going to give the internal combustion engine another developmental kick in the pants. This may be it. This year at the SAE World Congress Honda let loose a paper on their development of a variable compression [...] Related posts:
  1. New Rav4 Engines to be Ultra-Low Friction
  2. Honda UK Asks Customers to Eco-Test Drive the New Honda Insight
  3. New Honda Insight Already Beating Expectations

More...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-24-2009, 07:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ZeroFuel 1,2,3 - '96 Geo Metro
Honda. Lotus, Scuderi & others are developing the ICE. Honda does not fell EV is a viable option at this time.

Honda/GS Yuasa JV starts construction of lithium battery plant
Old 04-25-2009, 06:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Saab Variable compression engine

I am very pleased to hear that Honda are working on a variable compression engine. I believe this could be a technological leap of efficiency for petrol engines. Saab manufactured many examples of these in the early 2000's, and demonstrated them at motorshows around the world. I recall seeing the specs, which seemed fantastic. from memory, the 1.6 could produce 240bhp using high turbocharger pressure and low compression, and conversely at high compression and lower turbocharger pressure performed as a 1.6 with high compression should, namely efficiently and miserly. It ran flawlessly too, the electronics controlling throttle openings ,with compression ratio, fueling, and boost pressure, were fully sorted, thus throttle response suffered less from turbolag than conventional turbocharged engines. Sadly GM cancelled the programme. I wouldnt want to suggest any conspiracy on GM's part, market reluctance for efficient smaller engines has always been a hard sell. It just appeared to me at the time, that a manufacturer that would be willing to cancel an engineering project with tangible benefits, couldnt claim to be engineering led. Good luck to Honda, a company that always innovates, and looks to exploit concepts, making them work mechanically. If not always financially.

Reply  Post New Thread