EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Open Source high power DC-DC converter (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/open-source-high-power-dc-dc-converter-12279.html)

MPaulHolmes 02-12-2010 12:31 PM

Open Source high power DC-DC converter

Go Williamson Go! Williamson is making an open source DC-DC converter. 14v out, 90amp. That should run just about everything! He's going to post his progress here.

MetroMPG 02-12-2010 01:36 PM

Holy moly! :D

I'll be watching...

NiHaoMike 02-12-2010 04:50 PM

What topology does it use? Dual switch forward? Full bridge? Something else?

I think 90A is a bit overkill for a well-designed EV, unless you're going to run something like the A/C. Even then, it's better to design it to directly run those from the main pack.

I'm working on a power supply that converts 340v DC (voltage doubled 120v AC) to 12-15v DC at up to 35A for IT use. I'm planning for a minimum of 80% efficiency at half load. The standby power usage is currently only 1/8w and I'm planning for less than 1w idle power usage. It will have a control interface that will allow a BMS/PMS (Battery/Power Management System) to control its output voltage and current limit as well as turn it on and off and monitor temperature and output current. (It will default to outputting about 14.4v at maximum current limit if the control connector is disconnected.)

It could be used in an EV if the nominal pack voltage is 240-288v. By changing the transformer turn ratio and using different primary inverter components, it can be redesigned for just about any practical input voltage.

adamj12b 02-12-2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiHaoMike (Post 160870)
I'm working on a power supply that converts 340v DC (voltage doubled 120v AC) to 12-15v DC at up to 35A for IT use. I'm planning for a minimum of 80% efficiency at half load. The standby power usage is currently only 1/8w and I'm planning for less than 1w idle power usage. It will have a control interface that will allow a BMS/PMS (Battery/Power Management System) to control its output voltage and current limit as well as turn it on and off and monitor temperature and output current. (It will default to outputting about 14.4v at maximum current limit if the control connector is disconnected.)

It could be used in an EV if the nominal pack voltage is 240-288v. By changing the transformer turn ratio and using different primary inverter components, it can be redesigned for just about any practical input voltage.

This sounds perfect for my corvette conversion. I am planing on running a sealed lead acid battery that I can tuck away and keep charged with a DC-DC converter.

I am planing on running 90 TS 100ah cells for a nominal voltage of 3.2V x 90 = 288VDC. This will rise to 3.8V per cell when charging, this will be 342VDC. Will this cause a problem for the converter??

I look forward to seeing some plans!!

-Adam

jackbauer 02-13-2010 07:00 AM

A forward converter would be a good simple option as its unlikely ever to need to exceed the max 50% duty limitation of that design.

iwyze 06-06-2010 04:02 AM

Looking forward to seeing the OpenSource DC-DC become available and integrated into the open BMS, charger, display and controller. Great work to all those involved.

iwyze 06-06-2010 04:12 AM

Has anyone considered running the display for all things EV on a android device?