EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Opinions on Wet Okole Seat Covers? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/opinions-wet-okole-seat-covers-9600.html)

SVOboy 08-10-2009 03:44 PM

Opinions on Wet Okole Seat Covers?

Thinking about picking some up for the CRX since my passenger seat is pretty much falling apart. I've sat on them once in Doc Willie's Prius, but I was wondering if anyone could chime in with a more long term opinion on them?

Basically, are they worth the $235 or is there a cheaper option with the same (or better) quality?

Thanks! :turtle:

alohaspirit 08-10-2009 06:35 PM

Wet Okole (Okole is Hawaiian for "behind", pronounced O-CO-LAY)
is a pretty good brand and still very popular
From what Ive seen, they hold up very well

personally I buy the cheap seat covers because well... im cheap

but if I did have to buy I would check CL or ebay.

plus for $200-300
you could just get yourself better seats

http://www.qualitycustomparts.com/im...%20Leather.jpg

SVOboy 08-10-2009 06:39 PM

I was thinking about better seats, do you have any recommendations?

alohaspirit 08-10-2009 06:40 PM

blue racing seats

EDIT: not really, just dont have much experience with seats

Christ 08-10-2009 07:05 PM

APC = crap. Recaro = Expensive.

Seat quality is pretty much proportional to price, but you can get decent seats from SummitRacing.com

BOMZ are not good quality seats, no matter what the ricer tells you. Just get something that's comfortable to you, and is adjustable. You'll want adjustable - trust me.

Don't forget that you'll either have to make brackets for the sliders, or get them from the company that makes your seat so they'll fit your car, which could cost you another $60 to $200.

Check craigslist before you go buying retail, though. You won't get ripped as bad. They're still "hot ticket" items in retail sector.

FWIW - The Sparco "Torino" is a fairly comfortable seat, albeit rather expensive at $700+/pair.

This is a good compromise from SCAT/Procar International...

SVOboy 08-10-2009 07:15 PM

Yeah, I figured seats were probably out of my price range, hence the desire for decent seat covers.

Christ 08-10-2009 07:20 PM

That link has them for $160/ea, $320/PR, and shipping.

Estimated Total $342.95 shipped to my house.

SVOboy 08-10-2009 07:36 PM

Wouldn't I need custom rails or something to that effect to use those seats?

alohaspirit 08-10-2009 08:26 PM

did you check that link i provided?

$250/pair

SVOboy 08-10-2009 08:30 PM

Yep, saw. They have the same problem, unfortunately. I would have to figure out how to mount the seats in my car, somehow. I've been busy editing a pulse and glide video for ecomodder, so I haven't been able to check out how exactly one swaps aftermarket seats into a CRX though. I'll check it out tonight, because if it is easy new (used) seats might be the ticket.

alohaspirit 08-10-2009 08:49 PM

whos to say they wont bolt in

im sure that topics been brought up tons before

probably a quick google search away

SVOboy 08-10-2009 09:31 PM

I'd have to buy seat rails, as well: Scat/Procar 81966 - Scat Seat Adapter Brackets – SummitRacing.com

Which ups the price about equal to the cost of the wet okole seat covers

alohaspirit 08-10-2009 10:06 PM

or you can wait for a deal

ive seen pairs of seats for as low as $100 sometimes

check ebay, theres a few deals (some even come with rails)

cfg83 08-10-2009 10:29 PM

SVOboy -

Maybe this would help?!?!? :

Used Auto Parts and Used Car Parts from Junk Yard Dog

At one time I was researching the price of my wife's comfy 2003 Civic front bucket seat to put into my Saturn, and I priced one used seat under $150. That price doesn't solve the remounting problem.

CarloSW2

Christ 08-10-2009 10:45 PM

To mount racing seats, you just need two "straps" of metal. You mount the "straps" to the seat, leave the rails from your old seat bolted to the floor, then set the seat in position where you'd like it, and tack weld a few spots where the "straps" cross the rails. Bang - custom seat sliders.

Warning about buying used racing/sport seats - make DAMN sure that you can sit in it comfortably before you buy it. Long drives were a pain in the ass - literally - in my Civic.

RobertSmalls 08-10-2009 11:17 PM

You want Insight seats. $100 on car-part.com. They are breathable, and they might bolt right up. I can't tell you if they're comfortable. I sit on bicycle saddles and on concrete benches just fine. I owned my Legacy for four years before I learned that my seats are supposedly very much sub-par.

Christ 08-10-2009 11:35 PM

I can tell you right now they won't bolt in without modifying the seats, the rails, or the floor pan in the CRX. You never do the latter until you're satisfied with the seats and never plan on changing them, since you're effectively changing a support structure for the chassis. (The seats DO NOT bolt through the floor. They bolt into bolsters in the floor which are equipped with welded thread bungs. The front two are identically placed, but are angled ~30* from vertical plane toward the rear of the car. The rear bolt holes in 1st series 2nd gen CRX's are flat and identically placed, while the 2nd series 2nd Gens are offset from each other - one is closer to the rear of the car. The two rear holes in the 2nd series 2nd gens create a triangulation point that centers at or near the seat belt buckles. If that was a design feature or not, I don't know.)

SVOboy 08-16-2009 01:57 AM

Since time is of the essence and the stock crx seats are already very light and comfy, I spent the money on the covers, will let you all know how they are once they show up :)