EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   On Oprah Today... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/oprah-today-8157.html)

Matt Herring 04-29-2009 03:58 PM

On Oprah Today...

Not that I watch Oprah often...if ever...but...

Today Ed Begley Jr. is on the show detailing his "green" eco-friendly So Cal home...thought it might be a good watch for here...

And...if Ed Begley's house doesn't grab your attention...

The Bunny Ranch Brothel is also being highlighted on today's show...enjoy!

SVOboy 04-29-2009 04:37 PM

Is Oprah twittering in all caps again?

Matt Herring 04-29-2009 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 101329)
Is Oprah twittering in all caps again?

Thankfully I do not know the answer to your question...I only follow Mark Cuban, Shaq, Paul Pierce and Lance Armstrong on twitter.

I had to run out of the house so I dvr'd the Ed Begley segment...will watch in a bit it and see what he's up to.

Matt Herring 04-30-2009 11:35 AM

Synopsis of Ed Begley Jr. on Oprah...

His SoCal home nearly has the entire roof covered with solar panels. Currently, he stated he's only paying about $100 a YEAR for electric (and that includes charging his EV car) and that he's 90% off the grid right now. He is adding solar panels to the roof of his garage right now and will be 100% off the electric grid at that point.

I didn't follow him too much on this but he also stated he's about 60% off the natural gas pipeline as well.

There was video of him driving his Rav 4 EV to the Oscars all dressed up with his wife...classic!

He has his own gardens where he states he grows all of his own vegetables and fruit...uses rain water barrels to saturate the garden. He also has a gray water recapture system in his home.

Pretty cool feature on him during the show...he started with what he called "the cheap and easy" mods to his house back in the 1970's and when he was able to afford more costly endeavors he kept upgrading to the point he's at now.

UfoTofU 04-30-2009 12:53 PM

Green is the new black

SVOboy 04-30-2009 01:09 PM

I've always wanted to do rainwater capture for watering things. Maybe one of these days I will get around to it. :)

Matt Herring 04-30-2009 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 101561)
I've always wanted to do rainwater capture for watering things. Maybe one of these days I will get around to it. :)

Check with your local town government about getting a rain water recapture barrel. Around here, some towns have contracts with a rain water barrel company and there are deep discounts for the first so many sold in the town. After the initial discount there is still a discount through the town to get one.

Last week there was a "businesses booming in a struggling economy article" in the paper and one of them was a rain water recapture barrel producer...timely!

Matt Herring 04-30-2009 01:18 PM

Here's a few articles on how the barrel system works...good quick reads...

Success against backdrop of recession - SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

Residents can buy rain barrels at a discounted price - SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

Capturing rainwater reduces floods, protects water sources - SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

UfoTofU 04-30-2009 01:22 PM

My parents do that

SVOboy 04-30-2009 01:27 PM

I think there's a pepsicola place down the road where I can get 55 gallon syrup drums for 5 bucks or so :)