EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   OT? Help me get my bonehead town to allow electric NEV's (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ot-help-me-get-my-bonehead-town-allow-5489.html)

rmay635703 10-10-2008 08:26 PM

OT? Help me get my bonehead town to allow electric NEV's

My bonehead town does not want to allow NEV's on the roads.

They have put up a web poll to see if there is any interest in allowing the vehicles on the road

Sadly the web poll is biased by asking if people want the speed limit reduced so electrics can drive on roads. Problem is the roads are already 35mph and would not need to be reduced in speed for NEV's. Also in this state all roads under 55mph and many 2 laners that are 55mph are considered uncontrolled and legally have no minimum speed limit meaning you can find mopeds on 45mph streets going 25mph. Why is a NEV any different than a moped?

Please vote yes on the following poll until the yes's outweigh the no's (it isn't binding or even a real vote)

News & Events:Pollcenter

Note that if there is sufficient interest a public hearing on the matter "may" be held to allow NEV's.

DO NOT VOTE IF THERE ARE MORE YES VOTES THAN NO.

I do not want to see 50000 votes yes in a town with 30000 people of which under 100 probably even look.

Thanx
Ryan

trebuchet03 10-10-2008 08:56 PM

Results don't seem to be changing....

Either updates slow or rigged or elsehwhat?

MetroMPG 10-10-2008 10:40 PM

That's a discouraging situation. Reminds me of the provincial situation here - still no allowance for NEV's.

Tango Charlie 10-10-2008 11:24 PM

I voted.

Twice.

:p

Christopher Jordan 10-10-2008 11:38 PM

People are really really strange. Sort of like the HOA here voting my EV to sit and die. A meeting will be held soon, but now is the very worst time to move due to financial turmoil in CA. wrong season for real estate. If they say "no"; I am just plain moving a few blocks to one of the many foreclosures around here. Boneheaded people are sometimes stuck in the past and only think of themselves. Best of luck!

SuperTrooper 10-11-2008 09:55 AM

Are NEVs specifically prohibited locally at this time? I don't know your state laws, but it would seem to me that if the state issued you plates you would be able to drive on any road except limited access highways.

Joe_Bloe 10-11-2008 10:33 AM

voted yes! it's at 28 votes for, 66 votes against at this time.

trikkonceptz 10-11-2008 02:00 PM

I voted Yes, you're up to 31 ...

SuperTrooper 10-11-2008 02:07 PM

I just looked it up and towns have to authorize their use.

The text of Act 329 says that, "the governing body of any city, town or village may by ordinance allow the use of a neighborhood electric vehicle on a roadway that has a speed limit of 35 mph or less and over which the governing body has jurisdiction."

It's time to talk to your state representative.

MetroMPG 10-11-2008 02:19 PM

Of course, if they check their web server logs, they'll find a referring link from this thread to the poll, and you'll be BUSTED! :)

I assume you put the word out on other more EV oriented forums?

gascort 10-11-2008 11:16 PM

voted.

SVOboy 10-12-2008 11:36 AM

Voted, seems like we're losing handily, :(

bbjsw10 10-12-2008 12:48 PM

Voted, 41 yes 67 no.

rmay635703 10-12-2008 05:35 PM

Well we're getting there, maybe they will hold a hearing even if there isn't a winning vote of interest.

The key with the law here is the word "may"

I am curious I thought federal law said all federally approved NEVS (not go karts and retroed golf carts) are to be allowed on streets uner 35mph. I am curious why doesn't federal law trump locals on this matter?

TestDrive 10-12-2008 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 66783)
I am curious I thought federal law said all federally approved NEVS (not go karts and retroed golf carts) are to be allowed on streets uner 35mph. I am curious why doesn't federal law trump locals on this matter?

Don't know which federal law you're referring to, but if federal funds were used to build/maintain the roads in question, federal law probably would trump local regulation.

SVOboy 10-12-2008 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 66783)
Well we're getting there, maybe they will hold a hearing even if there isn't a winning vote of interest.

The key with the law here is the word "may"

Will there be a town hall meeting on the subject? Go and fight the power (and videotape it!)

rmay635703 10-14-2008 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 66793)
Will there be a town hall meeting on the subject? Go and fight the power (and videotape it!)

Wait and see, the votes are about even. I don't know if the board is willing or not. If they do I will have to take off work to go.

My father said he is going to go in to ***** during business hours this week because of the flaws in the poll and bring up that a moped can drive in those areas, why is a moped safer than our 2500lb steel van?

TomEV 10-14-2008 01:01 AM

While you may already have this info, here it a link to the WIS DOT page regarding NEVs - (looks a bit outdated...)
http://on.dot.wi.gov/wisdotresearch/...lecvehicle.pdf

Here it the text from another page regarding registration of NEVs -

When operated on public roads, an NEV must be:

* titled and registered through the Department of Transportation (WisDOT), Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
* operated by a licensed driver, and
* operated only on local roads specifically approved for NEV operation by local ordinance

Operation on local roads

NEVs may be operated on local roads that have a speed limit of 35 miles per hour or less, provided the municipality that has maintains the road has passed an ordinance allowing NEV operation on those specific routes. Contact your local government for additional information on routes.

Bizarre. I suppose by this logic they could outlaw any vehicle... Could a road be 'specifically disapproved' for other vehicle types (heavy vehicles just cause too much road damage, some people might be scared by a motorcycle, Explorers might roll over on a 35 mph curve, etc.) Maybe you could get them on the typo "... the municipality that has maintains the road has passed..."

Tango Charlie 10-14-2008 11:24 AM

74 to 70!
We're ahead!

Doofus McFancypants 10-15-2008 06:30 AM

YES is up to 78 !!!

rmay635703 10-15-2008 05:01 PM

Well now time to stop and wait for the board.

Who knows how long before they look and start caring?

Since our state doesn't appear to require an NEV to have huge NEV electric vehicle lables everywhere I think I will pull them off so it looks like a normal van and ignore the law.

Cheers
Ryan

Clev 10-16-2008 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 67392)
Well now time to stop and wait for the board.

Who knows how long before they look and start caring?

Since our state doesn't appear to require an NEV to have huge NEV electric vehicle lables everywhere I think I will pull them off so it looks like a normal van and ignore the law.

Cheers
Ryan

I would. I believe that at the time the Citicars were built, they were titled and licensed as regular cars, so I wouldn't let them try to tell you otherwise. As long as you know your minimum speed laws well enough (and maybe have them printed and handy in case your local fare enforcement officer pulls you over), you should be good.

bennelson 10-16-2008 09:30 AM

Hey Ryan,

There's a number of us in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin also pushing for allowing NEVs.

We are fortunate enough to have a public power utility, and the utility director is a pretty open minded guy.

We've been promoting having the local government be the first to use NEVs in our town. That way they will just take care of the ordinances automatically for us!

The utility is planning on getting an NEV for all the running around they do between the utility building and city hall, which are a mile or two apart.

We just had a good article in our local newspaper this morning. It's pretty positive, yet still points out the challenges we have with our own state DOT.

Read it here:
Electric cars could hit streets soon - Eco-friendly vehicle needs new ordinance first