EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Other Drivers' Minds (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/other-drivers-minds-20368.html)

Ladogaboy 02-02-2012 02:14 AM

Other Drivers' Minds

Today, as I was coasting down my favorite hill after work, a thought suddenly occurred to me. This was inspired by the fact that I was being tailgated by a guy in a mid-90s family sedan. Now, I should start by saying I'm used to this behavior given the car I drive (every late teen to early 20s kid in a Civic tries to race me... well... whenever). This guy was no different, but my only concern was, if I needed to stop quickly, I'd have to hire someone to extract him from my tail pipe.

Now I know that I'm assuming that he was trying to "race" me, but I'm pretty sure I'm right about what was going on in his mind. The thing I'm curious about is whether he was aware of a few things:

First, we were on a 35 mph posted road that is frequented by pedestrians and bicyclists. Again, I was driving within a speed that I could stop if I needed to, but I'm convinced that he could not.

Second, even though they were curvy, windy roads, I only touched my brakes once.

Third, for the entire two-mile stretch, I never once touched the gas pedal.

I just wonder, sometimes, what is going through other drivers' heads. :confused: I'm guessing they are equally puzzled by other hypermiling techniques.

JediSpam 02-02-2012 07:07 AM

I wonder the same thing a lot of times. Especially when they yank around me very quickly to stop at the stop light with me....

jakobnev 02-02-2012 08:24 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANEJrbzwqSk

Peter7307 02-02-2012 06:07 PM

Given the lack of quality shown by some of the drivers I have encountered driving around here my answer to your question "what is going through some drivers heads?" is:

Probably not much.
(evoke mental picture of lone tumbleweed blowing over a desert landscape)

Peter.

user removed 02-02-2012 07:48 PM

If you saw what I have seen working on cars for a good part of my lifetime, you wouldn't worry so much about the drivers as the cars they are driving, especially now that they average 11 years old.

Rear brakes, no pads, with the caliper piston rubbing on the brake rotor. Front cross member completely separated on one side due to rust. Engine and transmission ready to fall out on the ground along with the steering rack. Pickup in front of you jackknifes when the front u joint lets go. A Subaru tire bouncing 40 feet in the air when it hits a car in front of you after falling off a car in oncoming traffic. A Rambler station wagon driving down the road with only 3 wheels.

These days when I have a tailgater and the left lane is clear I just toss it in neutral and see how slow they will drive before they get the idea. Seen them not pass until I got to 25 in a 45 zone.

The worst I ever heard of was a friends father who was so blind he couldn't see a red light. He could only see the brakes lights on the car in front of him so he kept driving depending on the car in front to let him know when to stop. I guess he didn't need street signs!

regards
Mech

user removed 02-02-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter7307 (Post 284200)
Given the lack of quality shown by some of the drivers I have encountered driving around here my answer to your question "what is going through some drivers heads?" is:

Probably not much.
(evoke mental picture of lone tumbleweed blowing over a desert landscape)

Peter.

What's going on in their heads?
A perfect vacuum.

regards
Mech

jsatter 02-02-2012 08:44 PM

I've used slow down when someone is tailgating me technique before. It's certainly pissed off more than a few people.

When I was learning to drive, my dad hammered defensive driving and anticipating things ahead. I'm convinced the vast majority of drivers don't plan any further than the hood of their car.

Ladogaboy 02-02-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 284213)
If you saw what I have seen working on cars for a good part of my lifetime, you wouldn't worry so much about the drivers as the cars they are driving, especially now that they average 11 years old.

It's funny that you mention that because a similar incident happened to me again today, but this time it was young driver in a newer Toyota RAV4. While I still think he was being a bit unsafe (I was probably driving that way too when I was also 17-19 years old), but at least ALL four of his tires kept contact with the pavement. It's amazing what 10+ years will do to a car (the other guy was in a '97 Honda Accord).

Blacktree 02-02-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy (Post 284065)
I just wonder, sometimes, what is going through other drivers' heads. :confused:

Probably something like this: " I wanna get to [insert destination here] RIGHT NOW, and some jackass is in my way!" :rolleyes:

I have to deal with that mentality quite a lot. What's ironic is that I sometimes drive through the "historic downtown" part of my town. Speed bumps with 15 MPH speed limits were installed, after some jackwagon speeding through the historic downtown section ran over and killed a shopkeeper.

The "speed humps" are pretty substantial, and spaced less than 100 yards apart... about 4 or 5 of them in a row. Yet every time I drive through there, I see people try to drag race from speed hump to speed hump, while the pedestrians nervously await a break in traffic to cross the street.

One of those jackwagons KILLED somebody while driving like that. But do the rest of them take notice, and adjust their behavior? Nope! But they're more than willing to complain about the speed humps.

niky 02-02-2012 10:50 PM

What's funny is the ones that will stay on your tail while you slow down, even if you drift towards the right to clue them in that, yes, you would like them to pass you, please.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 284215)
What's going on in their heads?
A perfect vacuum.

regards
Mech

Nature abhors a vacuum.

Especially a perfect one.