EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Other Drivers' Minds (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/other-drivers-minds-20368.html)

Ladogaboy 02-02-2012 02:14 AM

Other Drivers' Minds

Today, as I was coasting down my favorite hill after work, a thought suddenly occurred to me. This was inspired by the fact that I was being tailgated by a guy in a mid-90s family sedan. Now, I should start by saying I'm used to this behavior given the car I drive (every late teen to early 20s kid in a Civic tries to race me... well... whenever). This guy was no different, but my only concern was, if I needed to stop quickly, I'd have to hire someone to extract him from my tail pipe.

Now I know that I'm assuming that he was trying to "race" me, but I'm pretty sure I'm right about what was going on in his mind. The thing I'm curious about is whether he was aware of a few things:

First, we were on a 35 mph posted road that is frequented by pedestrians and bicyclists. Again, I was driving within a speed that I could stop if I needed to, but I'm convinced that he could not.

Second, even though they were curvy, windy roads, I only touched my brakes once.

Third, for the entire two-mile stretch, I never once touched the gas pedal.

I just wonder, sometimes, what is going through other drivers' heads. :confused: I'm guessing they are equally puzzled by other hypermiling techniques.

JediSpam 02-02-2012 07:07 AM

I wonder the same thing a lot of times. Especially when they yank around me very quickly to stop at the stop light with me....

jakobnev 02-02-2012 08:24 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANEJrbzwqSk

Peter7307 02-02-2012 06:07 PM

Given the lack of quality shown by some of the drivers I have encountered driving around here my answer to your question "what is going through some drivers heads?" is:

Probably not much.
(evoke mental picture of lone tumbleweed blowing over a desert landscape)

Peter.

user removed 02-02-2012 07:48 PM

If you saw what I have seen working on cars for a good part of my lifetime, you wouldn't worry so much about the drivers as the cars they are driving, especially now that they average 11 years old.

Rear brakes, no pads, with the caliper piston rubbing on the brake rotor. Front cross member completely separated on one side due to rust. Engine and transmission ready to fall out on the ground along with the steering rack. Pickup in front of you jackknifes when the front u joint lets go. A Subaru tire bouncing 40 feet in the air when it hits a car in front of you after falling off a car in oncoming traffic. A Rambler station wagon driving down the road with only 3 wheels.

These days when I have a tailgater and the left lane is clear I just toss it in neutral and see how slow they will drive before they get the idea. Seen them not pass until I got to 25 in a 45 zone.

The worst I ever heard of was a friends father who was so blind he couldn't see a red light. He could only see the brakes lights on the car in front of him so he kept driving depending on the car in front to let him know when to stop. I guess he didn't need street signs!

regards
Mech

user removed 02-02-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter7307 (Post 284200)
Given the lack of quality shown by some of the drivers I have encountered driving around here my answer to your question "what is going through some drivers heads?" is:

Probably not much.
(evoke mental picture of lone tumbleweed blowing over a desert landscape)

Peter.

What's going on in their heads?
A perfect vacuum.

regards
Mech

jsatter 02-02-2012 08:44 PM

I've used slow down when someone is tailgating me technique before. It's certainly pissed off more than a few people.

When I was learning to drive, my dad hammered defensive driving and anticipating things ahead. I'm convinced the vast majority of drivers don't plan any further than the hood of their car.

Ladogaboy 02-02-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 284213)
If you saw what I have seen working on cars for a good part of my lifetime, you wouldn't worry so much about the drivers as the cars they are driving, especially now that they average 11 years old.

It's funny that you mention that because a similar incident happened to me again today, but this time it was young driver in a newer Toyota RAV4. While I still think he was being a bit unsafe (I was probably driving that way too when I was also 17-19 years old), but at least ALL four of his tires kept contact with the pavement. It's amazing what 10+ years will do to a car (the other guy was in a '97 Honda Accord).

Blacktree 02-02-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy (Post 284065)
I just wonder, sometimes, what is going through other drivers' heads. :confused:

Probably something like this: " I wanna get to [insert destination here] RIGHT NOW, and some jackass is in my way!" :rolleyes:

I have to deal with that mentality quite a lot. What's ironic is that I sometimes drive through the "historic downtown" part of my town. Speed bumps with 15 MPH speed limits were installed, after some jackwagon speeding through the historic downtown section ran over and killed a shopkeeper.

The "speed humps" are pretty substantial, and spaced less than 100 yards apart... about 4 or 5 of them in a row. Yet every time I drive through there, I see people try to drag race from speed hump to speed hump, while the pedestrians nervously await a break in traffic to cross the street.

One of those jackwagons KILLED somebody while driving like that. But do the rest of them take notice, and adjust their behavior? Nope! But they're more than willing to complain about the speed humps.

niky 02-02-2012 10:50 PM

What's funny is the ones that will stay on your tail while you slow down, even if you drift towards the right to clue them in that, yes, you would like them to pass you, please.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 284215)
What's going on in their heads?
A perfect vacuum.

regards
Mech

Nature abhors a vacuum.

Especially a perfect one.

Frank Lee 02-02-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Nature abhors a vacuum.

Especially a perfect one.
You'd sure think so, but the dumber they are, the more they reproduce. Doesn't bode well...

larrybuck 02-03-2012 12:25 AM

Today was exiting a gas station desiring to turn left onto 2 lane road.

In front of me were the people going to the right all backed up due to a red light
at a 5junction intersection. Sitting there can be long.

Legally; people are not supposed to block driveways, and business entrances.

I looked carefully to my right to make sure no one was coming, and pulled straight
out into a gap between 2 vehicles way too small for my CRX, but ok for my 250
dual sport I was on.

As I approached, the behind veh. started to creep forward like they didn't want
me doing that .

I was pretty much committed at that point.

The veh. stopped smoothly. As I passed the front of their vehicle, I raised my left
glove in a wave of thanks for not cutting off the HOLE!

Then I actually LOOKED at the people in there!

An older couple w the woman as driver. Both of them eyes bulging, shaking their
finger (the one next to their thumbs) at me like: You shouldn't be doing your
terrible act, you ought to get a ticket! was the face message.

They literally were looking at me as if I were a mass murderer, that had just did
in their dog or something!

A cop could have ticketed THEM for blocking the entrance!!!!

I had my green glow vest on; didn't look too Harley like to me!

But what a look of hate, and condemnation!!!!!!!

Gasoline Fumes 02-03-2012 08:19 AM

I'm trying to figure out the people who pull out in front of me so I have to brake, only to turn off the road 300 feet later, making me brake again. I can understand this in heavy traffic, but it's pretty annoying when there are no other cars in sight. You couldn't wait 10 seconds?

user removed 02-03-2012 08:37 AM

Houston Texas 1983, driving south on I 10 in bumper to bumper traffic, absolutely no place to go but your lane, can't remember but at least 4 lanes, moving along fairly well.
Guy behind me is all over my arse flashing his lights. No place to go, what's your problem buddy?

Finally I moved over just to satisfy the idiot, also gave him the "you're number one salute". He gets by and I pull over behind him. Three grade school students in the back seat all returning my "number 1 salute".

They teach them young in Houston!

Same road, moving along at 65 MPG, I look in my rear view mirror, and notice a Corvette closing at at least 100 MPH. The Corvette passes me sliding sideways and comes to a stop with it's nose pointing towards the oncoming traffic in the narrow strip of pavement between the jersey wall and the fast lane.

A co worker was hit in the rear end in her full sized Chevy pickup, on the same stretch of I 10 by a Corvette. The Vette hit her so hard his front bumper was touching the back of her front wheel.

I wonder if it was the same clown. He told the cops it was no big deal, his daddy would just buy him a new car.

Same stretch of road, opposite direction, my brother is driving this time. I am half asleep.
Bro yells wake up, LOOK! I watch a big rig jackknifing in front of me. Trailer swings out to the right, covering all lanes, then it flies left, finally with the left rear trailer wheels jumping the jersey wall before it comae to a stop. This time it was at night, but still, every one of these incidents was withing a 5 miles stretch of I 10, just south of the Houston beltway.

Almost 30 years ago, but I can still see those incidents clearly in my mind. Saw the cap fly off an oxygen bottle on a truck and smash 7 windshields before it finally rolled to the edge of the road. How would you like to have that nail you on a bike, in some of the worst traffic in the country.

Also remember two clowns got into a fight over some traffic incident on the beltway. One of them grabbed his 7 iron out of the trunk and beat the other to death.

Pop taught me well, combining his situational awareness from his experience as a pilot, with his driving skills. He has not had a ticket since 1955. He told me I was the only person who made him feel comfortable enough to fall asleep when riding in a car with me driving. One time he flew out of Andrews AFB (Wash DC) on a courier flight to the Florida Keys. He was so nervous, the pilot invited him to come up into the cockpit and actually let him fly the plane, after Pop told him about flying a B17 in WW2. That is what it took for him to relax a little in a plane.

regards
Mech

user removed 02-03-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes (Post 284298)
I'm trying to figure out the people who pull out in front of me so I have to brake, only to turn off the road 300 feet later, making me brake again. I can understand this in heavy traffic, but it's pretty annoying when there are no other cars in sight. You couldn't wait 10 seconds?

Heck, around here they will race you to 90 so they can pull over in front of you and slam on the brakes and turn right. Or just tailgate you 3 feet behind you so you get out of the way so they can do it to someone else. Interstate cloverleafs here are a challenge for the Morons, who will speed up to 80 so they can block the left lane to keep you from pulling over to let merging traffic on thee road, OR they blast by you then change from the left lane to the exit lane to exit. I have seen a car go across 6 lanes of heavy traffic moving at 60 MPH at a 60 degree angle to get to an exit they were too stupid to plan to exit properly. Or the line of traffic at a lane restricted construction area, where they think courtesy is not required of them. I have seen big rigs pull into their lanes to block them from their stupidity, and I have done the same myself.

regards
Mech

Frank Lee 02-03-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

He told me I was the only person who made him feel comfortable enough to fall asleep when riding in a car with me driving.
Heh heh, my passengers inevitably fall asleep too! I like to think it's because of the comfy seats my car has, coupled with my super-smooth limo-driver driving.

... but maybe it's my company??? :confused:

user removed 02-03-2012 08:17 PM

Nah Frank, they fall asleep because your car never goes anywhere~:D

regards
Mech

Frank Lee 02-03-2012 08:23 PM

I should have used past-tense! D'oh!

Thymeclock 02-03-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Today, as I was coasting down my favorite hill after work, a thought suddenly occurred to me. This was inspired by the fact that I was being tailgated by a guy in a mid-90s family sedan. Now, I should start by saying I'm used to this behavior given the car I drive (every late teen to early 20s kid in a Civic tries to race me... well... whenever). This guy was no different, but my only concern was, if I needed to stop quickly, I'd have to hire someone to extract him from my tail pipe.

Now I know that I'm assuming that he was trying to "race" me, but I'm pretty sure I'm right about what was going on in his mind.

Since he is behind you (assuming he cannot pass you legally) how can he possibly "race" you?

How can you be sure of anything that is "going on in his mind"?

Just as it takes two to argue, it takes two to create a race. By your admission it seems that scenario is what was on your mind, but not necessarily on the other driver's...

And besides, why do you care about what other people think?

Ladogaboy 02-04-2012 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thymeclock (Post 284515)
Since he is behind you (assuming he cannot pass you legally) how can he possibly "race" you?

How can you be sure of anything that is "going on in his mind"?

Just as it takes two to argue, it takes two to create a race. By your admission it seems that scenario is what was on your mind, but not necessarily on the other driver's...

And besides, why do you care about what other people think?

You obviously missed some of my concerns. I get used to other people trying to race me (anyone who buys my car goes in knowing that that is an eventuality; close to 10 years stateside has proven it). In this case, I'm not sure of anything other than this guy was creating a dangerous situation for me, for any possible pedestrians/bicyclists, and especially himself. The fact that he was driving less than two car lengths behind a vehicle that can out handle and out brake his own car while he was barely able to keep his car on the road begs the question: What was going through his mind?

UFO 02-04-2012 02:18 AM

I bet they are just wondering why you are moving slower than "normal". They pass and rush to the light to be ahead of you as they assume you will be leaving the intersection slowly too. At least that used to be my state of mind before I gained more awareness of efficient driving techniques.

Arragonis 02-04-2012 11:45 AM

There seem to be a lot of drivers who assume that hanging off the bumper of the car in front is a universal convention which will make it go faster. If you can swing about on the offside of the rear bumper or sway side to side as well that is meant to add emphasis.

It doesn't seem to be part of any driving education anywhere though.

Frank Lee 02-04-2012 05:10 PM

Sometimes I will mock the anxiety-plagued weavers behind me by doing some weaving of my own... or riding the centerline for a while just like they do. It's good for a chuckle but perhaps most of the time they are too stupid to catch on.

Thymeclock 02-04-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy (Post 284529)
The fact that he was driving less than two car lengths behind a vehicle that can out handle and out brake his own car while he was barely able to keep his car on the road begs the question: What was going through his mind?

How fast were you going? (It's relevant here.)

HydroJim 02-04-2012 05:58 PM

I live in an apartment complex where there is a long road connecting all the parking lots of the towers. There is probably about 20 speed bumps from end to end and it's about 1/8th of a mile. Ontop of that, there is a lot of repair asphalt that is raised off the pavement that doesn't make the ride too comfortable. The speed limit is 10 and that is what I go through there. There are always kids playing, and lots of cars backing in and out of spaces. Yet, people insist on going 20 mph or more through there. I don't get why. Not only does it hurt their suspension, but why risk hitting something or someone. I just don't get it. If you're in that much of a rush to get to work, leave earlier and I'll never understand why anyone would be in a rush to get home. Since I started driving in December(just got my temps), whenever someone tailgates me excessively through there, I'll keep my speed under 5 mph. They can't pass because there is a center divider and it brings me so much satisfaction that I made their useless life so much worse.

I've seen the middle finger a lot, but I refuse to give it back because I will not play into the ignorance of the average american. One time, two people people were tailgating my sister and I while she was driving the speed limit to our apartment. After we parked, the fat couple pulled up behind us in their big SUV and stared at me as I got out of the passenger seat. I had just gotten out of baseball practice and had 2 bats with me. When the kept staring, I got one out and started walking toward the car(I'd say I'm pretty intimidating at 5' 11" and 185 pounds). As I got closer to the car, they drove away, so I never got to confront those obese idiots about what they were thinking. Someday, I'm going to get out of my car at a red light and ask the person behind me what their problem is. Then I'll tell you guys what is on "other drivers' minds"

Frank Lee 02-04-2012 06:06 PM

When you get the bird, smile and wave- that messes them up more than getting angry.

HydroJim 02-04-2012 06:19 PM

I do something similar at school when kids try to insult me. For being better than them? Whatever it is, I say thank you and shake their hand. :D They don't know what to do.

It's hard to get a long with kids when as a freshman you scored in the 99th percentile of juniors on the ACT, You pitch at 85mph as a sophomore, and you did all that without having rich parents to give you everything you wanted. I can't afford to fit in, so I do it with intelligence, talent, and hard work, and some kids can't respect it. I might be a little conceited also ;)

Most kids at my school are very stupid and get everything they want. Including brand new cars as their own. I had to buy my own car and I'm going to have to pay for everything when I start driving.

I just don't get Americans. Seems like it would have been a lot better to grow up when my parents or grandparents did. When people did things for themselves. i bet only about 50% of kids I go to school with could ever figure out how to open their hood or put air in the tires.

Arragonis 02-04-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HydroJim (Post 284670)
...When the kept staring, I got one out and started walking toward the car(I'd say I'm pretty intimidating at 5' 11" and 185 pounds). As I got closer to the car, they drove away, so I never got to confront those obese idiots about what they were thinking. Someday, I'm going to get out of my car at a red light and ask the person behind me what their problem is. Then I'll tell you guys what is on "other drivers' minds"

I have the build of an obese Dilbert but I find the spheres to merely get out when required usually results in the other party running away.

Arragonis 02-04-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thymeclock (Post 284668)

Quote:

...First, we were on a 35 mph posted road that is frequented by pedestrians and bicyclists. Again, I was driving within a speed that I could stop if I needed to, but I'm convinced that he could.

Its not a direct answer but in a 35 limit, why ride on someone's tail ?

35 limt says to me "wooo, something might happen - be alert Arra... kids, dogs, cattle, sheep, rabbits, falling rocks, skateboarding Jesus / Buddah"

not

"lets ride as close as possible to the car in front so they go the limit, because of course everyone should go to the limit always...".

It's a limit not a target. I know I'm being annoying or worse before you say it. :thumbup: Just tappin.

HydroJim 02-04-2012 07:10 PM

I don't mind people that are overweight. Some people just have the genetics for it or aren't able to exercise for medical reasons, but here in america, 1/3 of people are obese and most have no excuse to be.

Sorry for hijacking this thread about other issues

Ladogaboy 02-04-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thymeclock (Post 284668)

I go 35-40 mph according to my speedometer (it reads a little high though), and I downshift to slow to about 25-30 around two corners (mostly due to lack of vision). After exiting the first of those two corners, I noticed this individual to be about 10 car lengths back after having been on my bumper. The second corner is where he was on three tires and drifting out of his lane (at most, two car lengths back).

user removed 02-04-2012 08:52 PM

Happens to me when I exit the Interstate. I go to neutral and coast down from 60 to about 45 to get off on the exit ramp. Invariably I have someone close to my rear end as I enter the cloverleaf. I never touch the brakes and very few of them are close behind me when I merge onto the road at the top of the overpass, at the speed limit.

It's really funny if they are driving a truck or SUV. My old Maxima will easily go around the cloverleaf at 50. My 59 Corvette would do it at 70. Top heavy vehicles have no chance.

regards
Mech

Thymeclock 02-05-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HydroJim (Post 284670)
Since I started driving in December(just got my temps), whenever someone tailgates me excessively through there, I'll keep my speed under 5 mph. They can't pass because there is a center divider and it brings me so much satisfaction that I made their useless life so much worse.

Who appointed you to be the speed police?

You are deliberately driving extra slowly for the specific purpose of punishing other drivers.

Quote:

I've seen the middle finger a lot, but I refuse to give it back because I will not play into the ignorance of the average american.
It's no wonder you are getting the finger a lot. You deserve it.

Quote:

One time, two people people were tailgating my sister and I while she was driving the speed limit to our apartment. After we parked, the fat couple pulled up behind us in their big SUV and stared at me as I got out of the passenger seat. I had just gotten out of baseball practice and had 2 bats with me. When the kept staring, I got one out and started walking toward the car(I'd say I'm pretty intimidating at 5' 11" and 185 pounds). As I got closer to the car, they drove away, so I never got to confront those obese idiots about what they were thinking. Someday, I'm going to get out of my car at a red light and ask the person behind me what their problem is. Then I'll tell you guys what is on "other drivers' minds"
You are looking for trouble and someday you will find it. In my state (which is actually a very Liberal one) approaching someone in a threatening way with a potential weapon (read: baseball bat) is justifiable grounds for initiating self defense under the law.

Your described situations show a passive-aggressive attitude. Unless you change your ways, you can expect more troublesome incidents in the future..

Thymeclock 02-05-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy (Post 284705)
I go 35-40 mph according to my speedometer (it reads a little high though),

If you were actually going 30-35 and the other car was two car lengths back (which is what you initially said), that's hardly extreme tailgaiting.

Quote:

and I downshift to slow to about 25-30 around two corners (mostly due to lack of vision). After exiting the first of those two corners, I noticed this individual to be about 10 car lengths back after having been on my bumper. The second corner is where he was on three tires and drifting out of his lane (at most, two car lengths back).
Without him being able to see your brake lights (because you downshifted instead of braking) you are not completely blameless here. Apparently he had to brake hard to slow the same speed as you did (but that's entirely his problem, to be in control of his vehicle).

At least he gave you more than ample room after that. I'm not defending tailgaiting, but at least he corrected himself after realizing that you might not have had working brake lights.

Ladogaboy 02-05-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thymeclock (Post 284845)
If you were actually going 30-35 and the other car was two car lengths back (which is what you initially said), that's hardly extreme tailgaiting.

Sorry, you are wrong. Two car lengths is not a safe stopping distance, even at 30 mph.

Stopping Distances for Cars

Also, you must have misread. He gave me LESS distance on the second slow down.

Thymeclock 02-05-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy (Post 284875)
Sorry, you are wrong. Two car lengths is not a safe stopping distance, even at 30 mph.

I said:
Quote:

As I recall the recommended safe distance is supposedly one car length for every 10 MPH of speed. Two car lengths for 30 mph is not extreme tailgaiting, It may not be optimal, but it's not extreme, either.

Quote:

Also, you must have misread. He gave me LESS distance on the second slow down.
Less meaning two car lengths as opposed to originally ten. Again, it is his problem, not yours. (BTW, I've never seen a car "on three tires" - unless you are speaking metaphorically.) If your car was showing no brake lights you are contributing to a potentially unsafe situation.

Ladogaboy 02-05-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thymeclock (Post 284889)
Less meaning two car lengths as opposed to originally ten. Again, it is his problem, not yours. (BTW, I've never seen a car "on three tires" - unless you are speaking metaphorically.) If your car was showing no brake lights you are contributing to a potentially unsafe situation.

I think you're confusing entering the corner versus leaving the corner. He was on my bumper (at most, a car length back) going into each corner. My guess is, because the first corner was slightly more extreme, he had a harder time maintaining speed. He seemed to try to force the issue on the second corner.

And the fact that you've never seen a car on three tires just means that you have never seen a car pushed to the limits of its suspension (usually not a good idea on public roads).

Frank Lee 02-05-2012 05:21 PM

Just about every action shot of a VW GTi ever taken shows them on three tires.

user removed 02-05-2012 06:19 PM

My NX 2000 with the Gleason Torsen limited slip differential spent most of it's time on an autocross with the inside rear tire up in the air. I have seen a couple of unintentional 3 wheeled cars driving down the road. Dodged the oncoming wheel of a Subaru once.

regards
Mech

Ladogaboy 02-05-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 284916)
Dodged the oncoming wheel of a Subaru once.

regards
Mech

Wait, did it come lose completely? Subaru's have a bad tendency to shear off lugs when driving under harsh conditions.