Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

planetary gearing

So I an looking into how planetary gearing works, and i was hoping some of the experts could enlighten me...
this video explains it pretty well:

but, starting at 9:15 it describes a way to connect 2 inputs and get 1 output
I was wondering if this is an efficient way to connect 2 inputs together, or if there was a better way.
For example, as done in the video, lets say the output shaft is very difficult to turn like when going up a steep hill; wouldnt the ring gear or the sun gear in the video then be working against each other such that the one with the greater torque would turn the one with lesser torque?
how efficient is this system? i would have thought since all the gears are directly connected it would be as efficient as a manual transmission since there arent any actuators needing to be driven hydraulically and no torque converter, but if the 1 input force is constantly fighting against the other input force i wonder if its always losing power?

If instead we connect the engine and the motor together directly via sprocket or chain, wouldnt the limiting factor instead of the speed necessarily needing to be the same?

So either the speeds need to be equal, or the torques need to be equal? or am i misunderstanding it?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread