EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   P&G - Post your results! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/p-g-post-your-results-23921.html)

ps2fixer 11-06-2012 01:29 PM

P&G - Post your results!

Ok, so the whole P&G thing clicked with me, and for my car, it has the ability to get amazing mileage if my route/traffic allowed. So I want to start a post to compare results with other users here!

First thing I'll state... I'm not the best numbers keeper, so forgive my results not being very creditable, I'm hoping repeated results should show a trend, and get an idea on how much better P&G can be compaired to *normal* ecomodder driving.

So here is the trick I used.

Fully warmed up engine
Starting at a dead stop reset the current trip on the scan gauge
Start engine and take off @ 80% load (via scangauge... NOT TPS at 80!)
When you reach 50mph, EOC as far as you can

Here are my results...

Normal mpg lately... ~45
Best steady speed mpg... ~55mpg @ 45mph
EOC result.... 72mpg and I was still coasting at around 10mph

I know.. I only did the test once, but even so, large room for error, and have repeatedly been finding P&G with EOC has boosted my trip's average a LOT for this tank.. in fact I'm at ~200 miles and on 3/4 tank yet, around 250 before would be 1/2 tank.

I plan to repeat the same test with a COLD engine except at a lower peak speed (35-40mpg) since my first turn is 1/2 mile.

Fat Charlie 11-07-2012 11:58 AM

My last non- hypermiling tank- 22.8 mpg.
My first partial tank of using p&g- 27.5 mpg.
My first full tank using p&g- 28.8 mpg.
Working EOC into it brings it up to 32-34 mpg.

These are for whole tankfuls, not individual runs. Those can be all over the place.

maczo 11-07-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ps2fixer (Post 338318)
Normal mpg lately... ~45
Best steady speed mpg... ~55mpg @ 45mph
EOC result.... 72mpg and I was still coasting at around 10mph

Wait, so you're directly comparing driving with avg. speed of 45mph to driving with avg. speed of... what... 25-30mph? I don't think that's fair to the steady speed mpg.

My experience:
- no P&G: around 31 mpg (US)
- with P&G (engine-on): around 36 mpg (US)
And I'm quite convinced my average speeds are lower.

ps2fixer 11-07-2012 01:37 PM

32mpg for a wagon, not bad ^.^, you must have really short pauses.

I'm wondering what kind of % gains these will be. I got 50mpg on the way home today with a lot more P&G and a lot of too fast stops :(. Should be able to get 50-55 tank averages soon I hope!

If I did my math correctly... your at a 28.7% gain

For my own figures for this time of year w/o P&G i get around 40-42 tops. No tank averages yet, but i'm at 300 miles for 1/2 tank (around 5-6 gal), should be at 45mpg average + with trips at 46-55mpg. Going with the low figures...

42 -> 50mpg = 16% gain

Best case (for trips) is 40 -> 55mpg = 27% gain

For that single coast down.. just for giggles 42 -> 72mpg = 41.6% gain (I can dream right?! That is... with out even a boat tail or full belly pan! Of course that number was from a 100% warm engine too... :()

ps2fixer 11-07-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maczo (Post 338551)
Wait, so you're directly comparing driving with avg. speed of 45mph to driving with avg. speed of... what... 25-30mph? I don't think that's fair to the steady speed mpg.

My experience:
- no P&G: around 31 mpg (US)
- with P&G (engine-on): around 36 mpg (US)
And I'm quite convinced my average speeds are lower.

I get ~50-55mpg readings at 25-30mph, my engine is just as efficient running at 45mph.

I wish I head a record for the pulse to 70mph I did when I was running late a couple nights ago, coasted for ~1-1.25 miles (no real numbers were watched, just I know I couldn't see the stop sign lol.

I should say I'm comparing what the best most efficient you can get via steady speed (flat ground would be ideal) vs pulse and glide (I really don't know the best way to target a speed to compare results, the best steady speed mpgs per car are so far apart..