EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   P&G and U-Joints in RWD rigs? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/p-g-u-joints-rwd-rigs-4314.html)

TrikeKid 08-03-2008 02:43 AM

P&G and U-Joints in RWD rigs?
 
I did a couple p&g's on my way home where it was feasible to do so tonight. Both were pretty smooth, but I noticed my driveline vibes a little more than normal when I got back onto the highway. It has always vibrated, combination of worn t-case and a questionable u-joint. I've got a new trans and case ready to go into the truck, so I'm going to put new joints in both ends of the drive shaft when I install that (wasn't going to put new joints in at $20 a piece to have the sloppy case output beat them to death). I'm wondering if anyone here that's P&G'd in a RWD/4WD vehicle has noticed increased wear on the joints? There are a number of places here where a P&G wouldn't even really slow you down if you time the hills right so I'd like to get into it a little more.

Red 08-03-2008 03:10 AM

If your u-joints are in good shape it shouldn't matter. All you are doing is accelerating/decelerating. Provided that there isn't any excessive slop in the drive train, it should be fine.

TrikeKid 08-03-2008 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red (Post 50474)
If your u-joints are in good shape it shouldn't matter. All you are doing is accelerating/decelerating. Provided that there isn't any excessive slop in the drive train, it should be fine.

That's kinda what I figured, thanks. :thumbup:

wagonman76 08-04-2008 12:16 PM

Id think typical city drivers are worse on a driveshaft than you doing P&G.

TrikeKid 08-13-2008 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wagonman76 (Post 50763)
Id think typical city drivers are worse on a driveshaft than you doing P&G.

I was worried about the bump starting mostly, most of the time I'm pretty smooth about it, but every once in a while it'll jump pretty hard.

Red 08-13-2008 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrikeKid (Post 52925)
I was worried about the bump starting mostly, most of the time I'm pretty smooth about it, but every once in a while it'll jump pretty hard.

Yeah shock loading is bad....

Depending on your hardware, might not hurt a thing, but its not the path to long part life either


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com