EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Paper on engine efficiency (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/paper-engine-efficiency-11765.html)

Ernie Rogers 01-08-2010 12:56 AM

Paper on engine efficiency

I am giving a (theoretical) paper next week on engine efficiency, to be published in a journal some time soon. The journal might be upset if I post it here.

On the other hand, sharing a pre-publication copy with a friend should be okay. Send me an email if you would like a copy of the paper.

Ernie Rogers
arcologic@aol.com

MetroMPG 01-08-2010 08:12 AM

Hi Ernie -

Could you post an abstract? That might whet more appetites.

Christ 01-08-2010 09:48 AM

It's a decent read, Darin. You might like it.

I was asked to abstain from posting any part of it online, but I suppose commenting on it isn't taboo, as long as the comment isn't specific.

pgfpro 01-08-2010 10:16 AM

Nice work!!!

Ernie Rogers 01-08-2010 12:29 PM

Abstract of paper

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 152862)
Hi Ernie -

Could you post an abstract? That might whet more appetites.

I think that should be okay. Here it is--

AN INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE FOR THE FUTURE

Ernest Rogers

The essence of life is an orderly consumption of energy. As earth's energy supplies dwindle, life is placed in jeopardy, therefore energy must be used with ever-increasing care and efficiency. One key to improved energy efficiency is to obtain more work from less heat energy input—that is, use of heat engines with greater thermodynamic efficiency. Heat engines, such as internal combustion engines, are used commonly to produce electric power and to drive machines of every kind, including virtually all forms of transportation.

Research was begun to identify a kind of internal combustion power plant that is more efficient, smaller, and cleaner in the environment. Three elements of engine design were emphasized to maximize efficiency—(1) a cycle with high intrinsic thermodynamic efficiency, (2) a two-stroke cycle to minimize parasitic losses, and
(3) an Atkinson ratio > 1.

The two-stroke Atkinson-Diesel cycle contains these three elements. It combines the constant-pressure Diesel cycle with the Atkinson cycle property. A formula was derived that represents this ideal cycle.Engine Efficiency--theory of a new efficient cycle

A simplified engine model was used to evaluate a compact design for the Atkinson-Diesel engine. It shows that 60% brake efficiency is achievable. Conversion to the new engine could change a 35 mpg car into a 70 mpg car and save 17 million barrels of oil per day world-wide (20% of world oil consumption). The Atkinson-Diesel engine is adaptable to many kinds of clean-burning and renewable fuels. By fuel selection and control of air-fuel ratio and percentage of exhaust scavenging, the new engine can have exceptionally low emissions.

Allch Chcar 01-08-2010 02:06 PM

2 stroke! This would have to be a Direct Injection 2-stroke to be emissions worthy and fuel efficient. On another note Direct Injection has really rekindled 2 stroke engines. I think the last time 2-strokes were considered was in the '90s when Direct Injection was being introduced. With Atkinson cycle and 2 stroke the output would be almost the same as a similar sized 4-stroke Otto or should I say a 4 stroke Diesel, correct? With all of this ICE development going one I wonder what this could mean for Battery Electric Vehicles?

So this means output isn't changing per liter but efficiency is. Sounds great:D!
Atkinson cycle usually requires a higher compression ratio to be effective so with Direct injection we're talking even higher compression:thumbup:.

user removed 01-08-2010 05:15 PM

My design used the 2 stroke and direct injection, with variable compression diesel cycle.
Compression ratios could be as high as 50 to 1 (not a misprint).

Also considered high pressure injection into a heat exchanger to better atomize the mixture for HCCI, using other fuels.

Possibly multi fuel capable with variable compression, or even multiple fuel capable simultaneously.

I think one of the govt research labs is doing research on an engine with the goal of 60%efficiency. I think my integrated engine-flywheel design has the capability to reach that level of efficiency.

regards
Mech

Ernie Rogers 01-09-2010 01:39 AM

Good job, Mech

Good job, Mech,

It appears that you and I are snooping down the same path. Sandia-Livermore has had a project involving opposed pistons and magnetic coupling to reach the compression levels we are talking about.

Ernie Rogers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 152986)
My design used the 2 stroke and direct injection, with variable compression diesel cycle.
Compression ratios could be as high as 50 to 1 (not a misprint).

Also considered high pressure injection into a heat exchanger to better atomize the mixture for HCCI, using other fuels.

Possibly multi fuel capable with variable compression, or even multiple fuel capable simultaneously.

I think one of the govt research labs is doing research on an engine with the goal of 60%efficiency. I think my integrated engine-flywheel design has the capability to reach that level of efficiency.

regards
Mech

user removed 01-09-2010 07:57 AM

AS long as pistons reciprocate in cylinders, you will probably never reach 60%. The free piston engines were supposed to be capable of 58%. OPOC is advocated by many as the next engine. Opposed piston engines are an ancient design. Lear tried to win Indianapolis in the mid 60s with a steam engine that used the opposed piston configuration.

In 1913 at the Rheims air race in France, and event occurred that deserves a lot of attention today. The fastest airplane in the world was barely capable of 45 MPH in 1912.
At the 1913 race Armand Deperdussin entered his airplane design, a clipped wing monoplane powered by a 160 HP (weighed 350 pounds) rotary engine.

The crowds gasped in amazement as the little plane roared around the course at 120 MPH. It was believed that people simple could not stand the forces involved in travelling at those speeds in the air, almost 3 times what had been expected to win the race.

Armand was a clothing magnate in France, who like Lear 50 years later understood the true limitations of IC reciprocating engine designs. A few years later after loosing his fortune he committed suicide. Lear spent a lot of his fortune amassed by building the first practical private business jet on his dreams of winning Indy with a steam powered vehicle.

The rotary engine went on to become the premier fighter plane power plant of WW1, but the [production costs were exorbitant, and its power capabilities limited. Its was delegated to the scrap heap soon after the war.

The Germans did build a motorcycle with a rotary engine inside the front wheel in the 1920s, called the Megola.

Before Henry Ford ever built a working vehicle Stephen Marius Balzar built a rotary engine powered vehicle in 1893 that was donated to the Smithsonian Institute in 1899. You can still read his patent documents today.

I think (with significant redesign of the originals) the rotary engine still has a place in history yet to be made.

This is because it is the only piston in cylinder design that does not have a reciprocating component essential to its operation. By making the stroke adjustable on the fly, you have a flywheel for short term storage, and the mass of the engine itself as a portion of the work the engine must perform to create power. This means with no vehicle load you can still stay in the sweet spot by accelerating the engines mass and going flywheel-stroke less.

A functioning compressor-pump version of the design, that does not have adjustable stroke can be viewed on YouTube, with a link posted on this forum under my efficient engine design thread, which is now on page 3 I think.

regards
Mech

ASV 01-09-2010 04:49 PM

Hydraulic hybrids hitch a ride in Beamer
I found this