EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   DIY / How-to (https://ecomodder.com/forum/diy-how.html)
-   -   partial belly cover benefits? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/partial-belly-cover-benefits-37287.html)

gone9 02-22-2019 01:34 PM

partial belly cover benefits?

So with the winter/snow an air dam wont work currently (summer is coming though) Anyone with pickups have you tried running coroplast with some light bracking from say the bottom of front bumper to diy backets on front axel.

Any benefit?

I attached a paint png file. Just curious if it was even worth trying out from other pickup users?

Currently loving tonneau cover and excited to find a spare front bumper to build an air dam similar to a user on here. (takes 5 minutes to swap front bumpers on superduty) and keeps my powdercoated current one looking nice without drilling holes. the only drawback it would probably be hourglass shaped to accommodate turns with the insides of the tires to prevent rubbing.

Ps sorry mods I didn't put it in the aerodynamics section if possible please move it.

ncs 02-22-2019 06:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Seems like it might help, but I've got no numbers to back it up. There's so much turbulence under a truck it might not make a noticeable difference. The Jeep Cherokee XJ had a skidplate sort of like your drawing. I didn't keep track of mileage when I had mine.

With a live axle like the XJ, it would have to drop down really far to direct air under the axle cleanly, with the differential being quit low and bouncing around. IFS setups have more clearance and are easier to build something like that for.

gone9 02-26-2019 12:55 PM

I would take some measurements of axel drop and try to find a sweet middle ground in slack. Its a little over 8,000lb so It doesn't get taken down nasty offroad trails where it would flex a lot. There is enough factory holes in the frame I could probably fab a small bracket on each side and keep the mini air dam just in front of the dif to keep it from hitting but mostly curious if anyone has tried it with any success so far?

Piotrsko 03-08-2019 11:09 AM

Since I have one also, 1st: you are a couple of inches taller than me, and it is body lift & taller tires. 2: the exhaust side will probably melt any nearby coroplast if the engine is doing any serious work. 3: I'm at 7886 # with my fat butt in the front seat and I go off road (gently since it is 2wd) all the time. I don't watch the bed or cab flex, it is way too scary. When you can see 2 inches of cab high camper shell in the side mirrors, the frame has to be flexing.

That said, I get anything from 18.5 to 22 mpg depending on fuel mix and how annoying commute traffic is. Back in the days of real diesel, I got 25. As I see it, aerodynamic drag is my biggest problem, under vehicle drag is probably 1/4 of total.

freebeard 03-08-2019 11:36 PM

Coroplast is not fit for purpose. Buy a second-hand shower stall and cut the back wall out of it.

And use lots of fasteners:
https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-f...hlf3lbyhtg.jpg

gone9 03-13-2019 06:34 PM

Some good input and thank you. Does anyone know another pickup owner that experiments with this tiny angled version of an air dam before? I have been messing with the wording on google searches and its just above my abilities so far lol.

Too add insult to injury im adding mudflaps :(. Towing with gravel roads and slightly oversized tires just isn\'t working out the best and the tires throw rocks like ticked off protesters. I don\'t feel it will hinder a ton in my scenario but not being afraid to hang my arm out the window or worry about rocks smacking the mirror will be nice.

PS the tonneau cover is holding up great after two years of sun/snow/de ice fluid and what not. I rinse it off and put the conditioner sprayon once a year but its held up fantastically and a solid 1-1.5mpg on highway trips. its paid it self off three times in two years with some road trips already.

freebeard 03-13-2019 09:00 PM

1. The novel aspect is bridging between the sprung and unsprung parts
  2. An angle plane will result in lift, the opposite of dive planes
Have you added the mudflaps yet?

This design is for a spat forward of the wheel but would work behind the wheel too. Best would be to do both.
https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-f...42-mudflap.jpg

It's a U-shaped metal strap and a piece of conveyor belt material cut in a trapezoid. The open slot allows it to flex on ground strikes so they can be lower, but would also allow most road debris to self-clear. Snow, not so much.

gone9 03-13-2019 09:04 PM

I like it. The mudflaps are duraflap brand, pricey but second to none quality.

Piotrsko 03-14-2019 10:56 AM

I noticed in your signature you have an "improved" turbo wheel. Data please, since I am not aware there is such an animal.

Afaik, there is the "wicked wheel" which is a copy of the pre bump nose 6.9 turbo, but that only affects turbo stall and does not increase boost over the 7.3 I have.

The best item I have seen is to get a 215 degree thermostat because they prefer to run hot which improves efficiency.

gone9 03-14-2019 03:10 PM

It’s a wicked wheel 2 from riffraff diesel performance.

After the install I saw 2-3more psi boost under full load.100ish degrees in reduced egts towing and empty, little quicker spool time. It may not help a ton but it helps a little in terms of fuel economy. There are a couple different variations from other companies but kcturbo and riffraff got the design down pat and it’s a great addition.

It’s no longer just an anti surge mod for the 99-03 7.3ls