EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   DIY / How-to (https://ecomodder.com/forum/diy-how.html)
-   -   PCV Catch Can on Metro? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/pcv-catch-can-metro-2634.html)

SirKeats 05-29-2008 11:29 AM

PCV Catch Can on Metro?

Anyone ever rig up a PCV Catch Can on their Metro?

Have any pics? I started to play around with setting one up last night but had trouble getting it to fit. Just not enough space to run the tubes. Would love to see if anyone else has had better luck.

I'd assume that a catch can would aid in efficiency since it's removing pollutants from the fuel stream.

Thanks!

SirKeats 05-30-2008 05:47 PM

no one???

COMP 05-31-2008 09:24 PM

do you have that much blow-by ???

SirKeats 05-31-2008 10:47 PM

not that i'm aware of... i just not this to be a fairly common performance mod (for speed daemon folks) that i assumed would also transfer over to ecomodding well as it removes pollutants from combustion which should, i would think, increase efficiency.

COMP 05-31-2008 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirKeats (Post 30081)
not that i'm aware of... i just not this to be a fairly common performance mod (for speed daemon folks) that i assumed would also transfer over to ecomodding well as it removes pollutants from combustion which should, i would think, increase efficiency.

your stock system should be fine if its working correctly

SirKeats 06-01-2008 08:24 AM

lol... yes. i realize it should be fine. as should all the other stuff we change on our cars before we change it assuming it's working properly before we change it.

we're all here though because we enjoy tweaking our cars for max efficiency. thus the question.

nickblair 06-05-2008 06:22 PM

I did it for a mazda mx6 once, not a metro...

it helps the "speed demons" accelerate faster by decreasing the chance of having the O2 sensors tripped leading to a strangled fuel injection

I'd save a little time and busy work and just skip it, but that's just me

getnpsi 06-10-2008 02:32 PM

Extra oil in the combustion chamber lowers the effective octane of your fuel. So for example if you are trying to bump your timing to the ragged edge for mileage and power gains and are pinging, removing the blowby oil may help before you back the timing down or choose the next higher grade of fuel. Out in California the best gas we get is 91 octane so I put a catch can on my turbo'ed car.

SirKeats 06-10-2008 07:00 PM

ya... i'm having a hell of a time figuring out how to best route the hoses and such. things are just so tight down there. wish someone else had done this before on a metro so i could just copy their setup. LOL. guess i'll just have to go it alone!! hehehe

whatthe 06-29-2008 09:35 PM

Just slap the catch can inline and use it as an oil separator.

Don't vent PCV to atmosphere as it will longer pull a vacuum. The purpose is to increase pressure differential accross rings and help rings seal, reduce blow by, etc.. Autozone/Partsource or what have you sold those crappy PCV filters and everybody used them... they would have decreased performance compared to factory or a proper system.