EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   The Penny Hoarder Article... You guys see this yet? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/penny-hoarder-article-you-guys-see-yet-33410.html)

whatmaycome14 01-25-2016 01:50 PM

The Penny Hoarder Article... You guys see this yet?

Hypermiling: Get Better Gas Mileage With These Super Weird Tricks

elhigh 01-25-2016 02:23 PM

That's just what we need. Buzzfeed wannabes putting the most outlandish practices up front and Darin's common sense advice in the bottom of the "article."

I've read some of the stuff the Penny Hoarder puts out. It's pretty poor stuff. It's great Darin and EM are getting press, but does it have to be that press?

Vman455 01-25-2016 03:35 PM

Yeah, that seems about par for the course for Penny Hoarder; I see their articles advertised on Facebook all the time with titles like, "Ten Crazy Ways to save $700 a Year!" But, when you open the article, the suggestions turn out to be for company credits, not cash, and take an inordinate amount of time or effort to get the return they advertised in the headline. This article seems better in that regard--it isn't promising a specific monetary amount, at least. But it still holds up examples of "crazy" or "dangerous" hypermilers as if that's the norm.

That said, the second half of the article is pretty good.

MetroMPG 01-25-2016 04:29 PM

Quote:

That said, the second half of the article is pretty good.
This is true.

I had to laugh -- in a disappointed kind of way -- when I read the headline:

Quote:

The Crazy (and Kind of Dangerous) Way This Guy Gets 59 mpg in His Honda Accord

Poor Wayne is portrayed as the crazy person, in contrast with the voice of calm and reason. :D

The "danger" angle is so counter-productive, and the bloggers and press LOVE to latch on to it.

MetroMPG 01-25-2016 04:34 PM

Unicorns & rainbows chaser!

Contrast that piece with this one, which I think is really good:

Debunking the myths of hypermiling | Driving

elhigh 01-26-2016 08:50 AM

The whole thing about hypermiling is that while a few of the practices may be slightly less safe, the required level of attention from the driver is MUCH higher than the average Joe simply moseying on to work, sipping his coffee, fiddling with the radio.

A typical commuter is focused on the bumper ahead of him. A hypermiler is watching brakelights a quarter-mile down the road! And looking at the stop lights two lights out, and seeing what kind of congestion is at that intersection, etc. How often do hypermilers cause crashes?

I might have the radio on, but I don't really hear the music much.

markweatherill 01-26-2016 09:58 AM

The words 'weird tricks' should ring alarm bells!

As in 'lose belly fat with this weird trick' and 'whiten teeth with this weird old trick' and 'how buyers are snapping up iPads for £20 with this weird trick'

MetroMPG 01-26-2016 11:02 AM

Create more effective clickbait with this one weird trick!

Fat Charlie 01-26-2016 12:59 PM

Drivers are shocked to learn!

Hersbird 01-26-2016 03:55 PM

Drivers in your area are saving $100s with this simple trick.