EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   People ticketed for parking in their own driveway. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/people-ticketed-parking-their-own-driveway-8803.html)

rjacob 06-16-2009 02:22 PM

People ticketed for parking in their own driveway.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

I wonder if they could get away with putting down four small patches of concrete just big enough for their tires to fit on....

superchow 06-16-2009 03:40 PM

It may well be the law in Toledo - and people shouldn't break it then. However! Where did the good citizen find the ticket: on the windshield of his truck... which is parked on his driveway... on his property! I.e. was the law enforcement trespassing? There obviously was a gated fence to the property. Can someone clarify?

FastPlastic 06-16-2009 08:51 PM

Last Easter of all days, My brother got a ticket for parking in my parents driveway. The back bumper was hanging out 2 feet over the sidewalk. It was far enough that you had to walk down towards the end of the drive to get around, but not out on the street. Seemed kind of an extreme use of the rule seeing as you didn't even have to walk on the street to get around. The parking guy was rather sneaky about it as well, there were 8 of us sitting in the dining room by the window facing the driveway.
None of us noticed him.

UfoTofU 06-16-2009 09:04 PM

"Unpaved ground?" Petty

Ryland 06-16-2009 09:51 PM

our city requires that it be an improved serfice, this includes gravel, my co-home-owners school buss is parked on a short row of bricks to fill this requirement, the rest of our driveway and parking area is gravel, as it should be.

dcb 06-16-2009 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastPlastic (Post 110328)
Last Easter of all days, My brother got a ticket for parking in my parents driveway.

People should not block the sidewalk, one of my peeves. Folks on strollers/wheelchairs/walkers and little kids on bikes getting forced off the sidewalk (and falling down some of the time) for some a-hole parking job. It can take a pleasant trip around the block downhill real fast. Good keyjob candidate too as well as tickets.

zjrog 06-16-2009 10:32 PM

I'm waiting to see if I get a warning. We frequently park on the area between the sidewalk and curb, but it is covered with paver bricks. The Neon is a perfect fit, the Explorer is almost too big.

Most communities do have ordinances about parking on improved surfaces. Depending on where you live, it could be as simple as spreading and compacting gravel. Others require concrete or asphalt.

I personally have plenty of parking space with a very large RV pad beside the house. But when my kids are both home, parking does get a bit tight, hence the curbside parking of the Neon... I will add, I live on a cul-de-sac with practically zero foot traffic. During the winter, the local code enforcement officer writes tickets if we don't clear our sidewalks. We don't park on the sidewalks...

wagonman76 06-17-2009 08:05 AM

Quote:

Most communities do have ordinances about parking on improved surfaces. Depending on where you live, it could be as simple as spreading and compacting gravel. Others require concrete or asphalt.
Wow, never heard of such a thing. Then again in Michigan, the roads connecting the driveways are not even very good.

Doofus McFancypants 06-17-2009 08:24 AM

just another of those hidden laws that no remembers passing - and not that local governments are hurting for $$ they are pulling out the rules and seeing what they can get.

I do not blame them - this IS a law on there books...

Would rather see them issue some sort of statement of ..
"Starting next monday - we will be begin enforcement of the following ordances..."

all this "Suprise Fees / Charges" tick me off... we KNOW they need the $$ but do not screw me for it I am not that kind of guy.

Just wait until the credit card companies start charging intrest from the DATE OF CHARGE instead of providing the grace period of billing cycle ( mentioned on Clark Howard radio show - last week) that way they can still get Interest from people who pay off there bill every month.

LeanBurninating 06-17-2009 12:16 PM

This is why you need a james bond car that electrocutes people when they touch it.