EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Perry the Honda Civic's Build Thread (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/perry-honda-civics-build-thread-38841.html)

dayvon 11-30-2020 05:09 PM

Perry the Honda Civic's Build Thread

This thread is to document all modifications, improvements, projects/works, tests/trials, and major services done to or for my 1998 Civic EX Sedan: Perry. Below is the link to it:

https://ecomodder.com/forum/emgarage...ehicleid=10795

Perry was purchased November of 2020 from a caring owner that had to give him up because of a major move. I plan on driving him stock for some time while giving and paying for first services (which I will document here). Following this and a couple more tanks unmodified, I will then begin my first phase, to then very slowly and eventually move on to my second phase of improvements. These will be done to improve Perry in the following list of areas (in decreasing priority): fuel economy, longevity, utility and handling. My rule for this is: improving the car in any of these 4 areas must not be to the detriment of the other 3 (minor/inconsequential dis-benefits or dings notwithstanding).

Phase 1 add non-mechanical and "reasonably" *imo* unobtrusive and not-inconvenient changes/modifications to make using and driving Perry efficiently easier, more enjoyable, "better"

Phase 2 perform mechanical modifications and overhauls to refresh/improve engine, drivetrain, and chassis...and to increase final drive gearing.

Phase 3 Who knows?.....

• A reminder to myself for testing: for each modification I must/will spend
a) 6 gallons or half a tank with pre-mod twice under consistent conditions(as well as i can)
b) the same but with new mod
c)one last half tank, pre-mod under similar conditions again. AABBA

I claim Perry is already capable of reaching 38 mpg avg. This I assert can be done by driving minimum legal roadway speeds without much - if any - hypermiling techniques. My hopes are to eventually average 45+mpg regularly, with fluctuations of 35 - 55mpg year round without much fuss.

I welcome in supportive suggestions, cordial comments, and constructive criticisms that you may have as it relates to the goals I have for my 1 car that I have quickly fallen in love with. Have a sustainable day!

JulianEdgar 11-30-2020 06:29 PM

Can you give us a guide as to:

- what facilities you have to make modifications
- your background in car modification
- the amount you're happy to spend

Otherwise, it's easy to make suggestions that are of no help at all.

deluxx 11-30-2020 09:35 PM

Hello! welcome to the site! Glad to have ya, :turtle:
Lightweight wheels, "eco" tires, and safely learning how to engine off coast with a killswitch are the best 3 mods imo

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 12-01-2020 12:32 AM

So, is your car fitted with a manual or an automatic transmission? And how far would you keep comfortable to get rid of some original features or replacing components and sub-assemblies to get minor improvements to aerodynamics and weight reduction?

dayvon 12-01-2020 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulianEdgar (Post 637334)
Can you give us a guide as to:

- what facilities you have to make modifications
- your background in car modification
- the amount you're happy to spend

Otherwise, it's easy to make suggestions that are of no help at all.

- I dont have much at the moment besides basic tools for maintenance and enough space to work on the car freely
- I have no prior experience with car modification
- I wish to spend less than $600 to start. This is for both parts/material and tooling. I do plan on eventually engine overhauling/reboring (or swapping), and replacing the current 5 speed with that of an HX from the same generation. However I won't worry about that or its cost for a year if not more.

I will update the original post to include the link to the car once I have made the 5 post quota as a new member. The link roughly outlines the work I hope to do on it.

dayvon 12-01-2020 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 637356)
So, is your car fitted with a manual or an automatic transmission? And how far would you keep comfortable to get rid of some original features or replacing components and sub-assemblies to get minor improvements to aerodynamics and weight reduction?

Sorry, long answer:
Its a manual. I intend on using it for trips I cant make on my bike due to distance, load/capacity, time constraints, or passenger needs. For me this means it must perform like the econo-commuter that it is. So unfortunately I wont be nearly as worried about weight as auxiliary/parasitic losses, and aerodynamics. I plan on dumping the power steering because it's completely unnecessary for this car, and supplementing/augmenting battery charging. I am also willing to consider (given time) replacing the stock shocks and springs with lighter and adjustable coil-overs, swapping for alloy wheels, and using lighter cv shafts. These and other modifications im okay with given they dont permanently augment the frame/shell and drivetrain, such that I could then take the car back to stock. Hopefully this helps provide insight if it doesn't directly answer your questions

dayvon 12-01-2020 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deluxx (Post 637346)
Hello! welcome to the site! Glad to have ya, :turtle:
Lightweight wheels, "eco" tires, and safely learning how to engine off coast with a killswitch are the best 3 mods imo

Thanks! These will definitely be in my headspace as I ruminate on this cars future. The "eco" tires im thinking to use upon replacing the ones on my car now.

Side question, could you tell me anything about how you added the front bumper lip to your "ol-green"? You seem to have done precisely one of the things ive pictured doing to Perry

JulianEdgar 12-01-2020 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dayvon (Post 637373)
- I dont have much at the moment besides basic tools for maintenance and enough space to work on the car freely
- I have no prior experience with car modification
- I wish to spend less than $600 to start. This is for both parts/material and tooling. I do plan on eventually engine overhauling/reboring (or swapping), and replacing the current 5 speed with that of an HX from the same generation. However I won't worry about that or its cost for a year if not more.

I will update the original post to include the link to the car once I have made the 5 post quota as a new member. The link roughly outlines the work I hope to do on it.

Since you're in the aerodynamics section of the forum, I'd suggest as large an undertray as you can fit to the car.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 12-02-2020 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dayvon (Post 637374)
So unfortunately I wont be nearly as worried about weight as auxiliary/parasitic losses, and aerodynamics. I plan on dumping the power steering because it's completely unnecessary for this car, and supplementing/augmenting battery charging.

What do you plan for supplementing/augmenting battery charging?

deluxx 12-03-2020 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dayvon (Post 637375)
Side question, could you tell me anything about how you added the front bumper lip to your "ol-green"? You seem to have done precisely one of the things ive pictured doing to Perry

https://i.imgrpost.com/imgr/2020/06/...4630745.md.jpg

some L brackets into the bottom of the plastic bumper cover and cheap (weak) zip ties to "lace" the lawn edging to that. My theory is the zipties are the weakest link and when I hit speedbump or low driveway they will come apart not taking the full bumper with it.
I was planning on buying a front lip on ebay one day after testing if an airdam would actually work. You can get a Frontlip + Uppergrill for 50 bucks
Some other nice civics,
https://i.imgrpost.com/imgr/2020/12/03/8794694.jpg
https://i.imgrpost.com/imgr/2020/12/03/hqdefault.jpg
https://i.imgrpost.com/imgr/2020/12/03/9005014.webp