Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Recreation Engineer

Black Stallion - '02 Toyota Tundra 4WD xCab

Half Pint - '06 Yamaha XT225
Hyundai Accent 3dr

It's time for another vehicle in my garage. I'm seriously considering a Hyundai Accent. Seems like good bang for the buck all things considered. Low price, long warranty, good MPGs. The hatchback sports a decent looking wing.

It occurred to me that members here might drive this car. It would be helpful to know what real world MPGs you got from a stock vehicle. What mods you've done would be interesting too.

We'd get MT and it'd my wife's daily mixed-city/hiway driver. She doesn't race but doesn't hypermile either. I would hypermile it on road trips when/where I could.

Thanks in advance, and Holiday Cheers!
KB

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-24-2010, 07:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Welcome, KB. It's not directly applicable, but I drove a rental Kia Rio with the same 1.6 L engine that's in the Accent, for 3600 miles with 3 adults and our luggage last Spring. This was an automatic transmission Rio, driven from southern NM to the corner of MN/IA/SD, and back to MT & ID.

I averaged 43.4 mpg, and if allowed to discard the two outlier tanks where we were fighting >40 mph crosswinds, I would have averaged 45 mpg. My last two tanks on that trip were >49 mpg. Not bad for an AT in the Rockies. We visited Mt. Rushmore, Rocky Mt. NP, Wind Cave NP, Jewel Cave NM, Yelllowstone & Grand Teton NPs, I'm sure with a manual transmission, I could have been pushing a 50 mpg average with that engine.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Old 12-24-2010, 11:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Recreation Engineer

Black Stallion - '02 Toyota Tundra 4WD xCab

Half Pint - '06 Yamaha XT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
Welcome, KB. It's not directly applicable, but I drove a rental Kia Rio with the same 1.6 L engine that's in the Accent, for 3600 miles with 3 adults and our luggage last Spring. This was an automatic transmission Rio, driven from southern NM to the corner of MN/IA/SD, and back to MT & ID.

I averaged 43.4 mpg, and if allowed to discard the two outlier tanks where we were fighting >40 mph crosswinds, I would have averaged 45 mpg. My last two tanks on that trip were >49 mpg. Not bad for an AT in the Rockies. We visited Mt. Rushmore, Rocky Mt. NP, Wind Cave NP, Jewel Cave NM, Yelllowstone & Grand Teton NPs, I'm sure with a manual transmission, I could have been pushing a 50 mpg average with that engine.
Thanks, Darrell. I suspect those two cars are cousins so the data point seems fair.

KB

Reply  Post New Thread