EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   A Petrolhead take on the BMW i3.. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/petrolhead-take-bmw-i3-27288.html)

320touring 10-18-2013 08:10 AM

A Petrolhead take on the BMW i3..

Went on to my preferred "POOOOWWWWWEEEEEERRRRR" forum this morning and was greeted by this article:

BMW i3: Review - PistonHeads

alarmingly balanced and shows the car in a fair light- could this be the start of acceptance for elec cars within the general populace?

Reading the comments section is enlightening- still a fair few "dino til I die" out there..

What are your thoughts?

MetroMPG 10-18-2013 09:08 AM

It's quite the conclusion:

Quote:

Similarly to the Tesla Model S, buyers will want one because it's a covetable object, not solely because it's electric. It was a notable triumph for Tesla in the luxury saloon market; to do it for the price of Prius + is quite a feat indeed.

Flakbadger 10-18-2013 10:12 AM

Thank you for the article 320touring. It's a really neat vehicle and it sounds like the reviewer was quite enamored with it---but I just have to say, its sides are a total disaster.
http://images.pistonheads.com/nimg/2...i3_PH_07-L.jpg
And isn't a black roof the exact opposite of the trend on EM?

:P

It is really neat to see electric vehicles gain larger acceptance. I think a large part of that has to do with electric vehicle manufacturers making their cars "cool." BMW, being well known for "cool" cars already, already had a bit of an advantage in that department.

NachtRitter 10-18-2013 11:48 AM

Wow! 155/70 19s... Wonder if the wheels come in the 5x100 bolt pattern...

Also am amused by the phrase
Quote:

... the full sweaty eco-warrior feel
:)

euromodder 10-18-2013 01:01 PM

But ugly IMO.
Inside and out.

I'll have the Tesla , thank you :cool:

jeff88 10-18-2013 01:46 PM

Why do high efficiency cars have to look so ugly? I don't think the i3 would be so bad, but with the weird window lines, it throws everything off. I think one of the reasons why the Tesla has done so well, is not because it's electric or covetable, but because it looks like a normal car.

I tried to do an aero-template, but the software doesn't work on my phone (I can't slide the pic or template on the screen). It seemed to match up fairly well. The rear roofline has a nice, not overly aggressive slope to it.

320touring 10-18-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 395936)
It's quite the conclusion:

Indeed- essentially seems to suggest that the format and approach is such that the i3 is almost considered NORMAL- the comparison with the Prius + is telling..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flakbadger (Post 395939)
Thank you for the article 320touring. It's a really neat vehicle and it sounds like the reviewer was quite enamored with it---but I just have to say, its sides are a total disaster.
http://images.pistonheads.com/nimg/2...i3_PH_07-L.jpg
And isn't a black roof the exact opposite of the trend on EM
:P
It is really neat to see electric vehicles gain larger acceptance. I think a large part of that has to do with electric vehicle manufacturers making their cars "cool." BMW, being well known for "cool" cars already, already had a bit of an advantage in that department.

Sides and roof are ok- currently in Europe there's a big following for "softroaders" like the Nissan Quashqi/Ford Kuga etc. So I think they're trying to tap that market too.

The black roof to attract heat would be handy in Scotland:thumbup:

re the cool cars- alas no!
BMW have "halo" models like the m3/5 etc, but the main brand is poor- dull as ditchwater and prone to understeer + full of Niche bull**** like the 5GT 3GT etc.
They outsell ford over here in the company car market by some margin, and their current diesel engines have quite the reputation for timing chain failures/dpf/thermostat/turbo and egr issues.
Gone are the days of "engineered to a spec"- we live in a "build down to a budget" reality. Driven by the new company car every 3 years approach:mad:

Quote:

Originally Posted by NachtRitter (Post 395946)
Wow! 155/70 19s... Wonder if the wheels come in the 5x100 bolt pattern...
Also am amused by the phrase :)

Most BMW's are 5x 120 now:D and the 155/70/19s are almost like a throwback to the 175/70/14s of yesteryear

Quote:

Originally Posted by euromodder (Post 395954)
But ugly IMO.
Inside and out.
I'll have the Tesla , thank you :cool:

Form over function? Poor show:-P

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff88 (Post 395960)
Why do high efficiency cars have to look so ugly? I don't think the i3 would be so bad, but with the weird window lines, it throws everything off. I think one of the reasons why the Tesla has done so well, is not because it's electric or covetable, but because it looks like a normal car.
I tried to do an aero-template, but the software doesn't work on my phone (I can't slide the pic or template on the screen). It seemed to match up fairly well. The rear roofline has a nice, not overly aggressive slope to it.

you make a good point re acceptability, but I reckon if it provides an effective solution, it'll be accepted- just like the prius, and 4cyl diesel BMWs!

I imagine the roof slope wont be too far off- minimum effort to move= best range

spacemanspif 10-18-2013 06:56 PM

Ugly in and ugly out. There is no need to make that thing look so terrible. I'm sure BMW says "this is the best design for getting people around a city but there are better looking boxes out there to cram people into.

155 tires?!?! How is that safe?? Don't dare make a sharp turn. I didn't feel safe running my Monte with 165s so I bought wider front rims to fit 225s and have a pair of 15x4s collecting dust.

The Tesla is beautiful and a good performer, the EV/no gas is just an added benefit and that is why Tesla is doing well. If the Prius and insights didn't look so goofy more people would have accepted them. People are leery of novel technology because of the unknown reliability; I don't think Tesla would be doing as well if they released their car before the insight and prius came out.

I a not going start an off-topic rant on BMW's (lack of) reliability. I've never been a fan of the brand and will never own one. People around here that own then get rid of them within 5 years for a new one and I almost never see old ones (5+years old) running around. So I'd never trust them with "new" and "unique" powertrains.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 10-19-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff88 (Post 395960)
Why do high efficiency cars have to look so ugly?

It's all because of the eco-posers who didn't care about anything but suddently wanna get noticed and then feel entitled to brag about how "greenier" they are than their average neighbor.

Quote:

I don't think the i3 would be so bad, but with the weird window lines, it throws everything off. I think one of the reasons why the Tesla has done so well, is not because it's electric or covetable, but because it looks like a normal car.
Altough I wouldn't buy a Tesla not just because I'm not into electric cars (and I also don't share some of Elon Musk's political views), I gotta admit that I like the design of the Model X. Regarding the i3, its design seems to be more shocking for BMW enthusiasts and customers than the original A-Class (which was initially developed to be an all-electric vehicle) was for Mercedes-Benz enthusiasts and customers.

UltArc 10-19-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 396128)
It's all because of the eco-posers who didn't care about anything but suddently wanna get noticed and then feel entitled to brag about how "greenier" they are than their average neighbor.

Altough I wouldn't buy a Tesla not just because I'm not into electric cars (and I also don't share some of Elon Musk's political views), I gotta admit that I like the design of the Model X. Regarding the i3, its design seems to be more shocking for BMW enthusiasts and customers than the original A-Class (which was initially developed to be an all-electric vehicle) was for Mercedes-Benz enthusiasts and customers.

Elon Musks political views? I was interested to learn about it, and read these three:
Musk
Elon Musk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Elon Musk Dares To Have A Political Opinion On Twitter | TechCrunch

It doesn't seem like anything bad- is there something I am not seeing?

For the Beamer...I don't think it looks bad, it reminds me of a futuristic Smart Car. It does seem pretty evident that it was specifically built to look futuristic/special. I hope it performs to the hype the vehicle portrays.