EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   This place is great! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/place-great-26869.html)

RdRnr 09-06-2013 03:55 PM

This place is great!

I've got a '98 F-150, 4.2L V6, 5-sp. I typically see 22-23 MPG doing my long commute. Found this place last week. I was down to about 3/4 tank, but I thought I'd try some of the driving techniques to see if there would be an improvement. Filled up this morning, got 24.8 MPG! Can't wait to see what I get on a full tank of careful driving.

I've always thought about doing what is being done here, just never really tried. I bought a vacuum gauge a long time ago; it should be somewhere in the garage. I'll have to dig it out and install.

Lots of questions, got to keep reading all the good info here . . .

Daox 09-06-2013 04:05 PM

Welcome to the site RdRnr.

Low to mid 20s is pretty respectable in that truck. Nicely done already. Can't wait to see how you do on a full tank. :)

UltArc 09-06-2013 04:37 PM

Welcome! We are all glad to help with questions, but make sure you check the search function, first. No harm in bringing back an old thread for new questions :)

mikeyjd 09-06-2013 05:02 PM

Welcome. And be sure to check these out:

65+ Vehicle modifications for better fuel economy - EcoModder.com
100+ Hypermiling / ecodriving tips & tactics for better mpg - EcoModder.com

mcrews 09-06-2013 10:08 PM

Welcome
Try increasing the psi in the tires to 40+psi

HydroJim 09-06-2013 10:47 PM

welcome! air dam and grille block are quick and simple!

RdRnr 09-08-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyjd (Post 389172)
Welcome. And be sure to check these out:

65+ Vehicle modifications for better fuel economy - EcoModder.com
100+ Hypermiling / ecodriving tips & tactics for better mpg - EcoModder.com

Thanks, been doing lots of reading.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 389222)
Welcome
Try increasing the psi in the tires to 40+psi

Thanks. I usually run them at high 30s cuz I like a firmer ride. Max pressure is 44, I'll try 42.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HydroJim (Post 389229)
welcome! air dam and grille block are quick and simple!

How exactly do these help? I'm guessing it's better to smoothly guide air around the car than let it flow under where the aerodynamics are really bad?

I should mention that we'll be replacing the truck before the end of the year so I won't be doing any major mods to it. I have made a few mods (Flowmaster muffler, open airbox, underdrive pulley. electric radiator fan) and did see some improvement, but I'll save everything I've learned here for our next vehicle (I want a Viper, wife wants me to get another, smaller, truck).

Flakbadger 09-08-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RdRnr (Post 389393)
Thanks. I usually run them at high 30s cuz I like a firmer ride. Max pressure is 44, I'll try 42.

More PSI is better for MPG, but too much can be an uncomfortable ride--I run my Ecopia tires at sidewall max, but found with my previous crappy tires that low 40s was still way-y-y too rough. I did it anyway 'cause I'm insane. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RdRnr (Post 389393)
How exactly do these help? I'm guessing it's better to smoothly guide air around the car than let it flow under where the aerodynamics are really bad?

Bingo. The grille block also keeps excess air from going through the torture chamber known as your engine compartment.

Welcome to the forums, by the way.
~Matt

UltArc 09-08-2013 01:38 PM

New or old Viper? That would be quite impressive to see ecomodded!

RdRnr 09-08-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flakbadger (Post 389398)
More PSI is better for MPG, but too much can be an uncomfortable ride--I run my Ecopia tires at sidewall max, but found with my previous crappy tires that low 40s was still way-y-y too rough. I did it anyway 'cause I'm insane. :)

Bingo. The grille block also keeps excess air from going through the torture chamber known as your engine compartment.

Welcome to the forums, by the way.
~Matt

OK, I'm now at 42 psi. I'm guessing I'll have to check more often being at a higher pressure?

Aerodynamic torture chamber? I'm looking at my F-150 grill. I'm also looking at a roll of 2" clear packing tape. It would be really easy to tape off some sections. Maybe when it starts to cool off . . .