EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Placed my Bet on the Insight (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/placed-my-bet-insight-20950.html)

Steaming 03-12-2012 06:13 PM

Placed my Bet on the Insight

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...iv/WESPICS.jpg

2006 Honda Insight, 5 speed 125,000 miles. I gave 7,999 for it.

Picked this up friday. I was surprised at how dirty the air filter was--but it shouldn't be too hard to swap out. I'll probably go ahead and change the oil and give it a new filter.

Think I should go ahead and put in new sparkplugs as well?

At anyrate, It sure beats driving a v8 truck around as a daily driver:D

BuckarooBanzai 03-12-2012 07:12 PM

she's a beaut, nice find.

CigaR007 03-12-2012 07:23 PM

Congrats !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steaming (Post 292988)
Think I should go ahead and put in new sparkplugs as well?

Depends on what the car's manual recommends. If they do need replacement, make sure you buy the OEM ones and have them installed the proper way; as they are indexed.

MetroMPG 03-12-2012 08:27 PM

Congrats - you'll have fun with the car. They're capable of incredible numbers, as you know.

What's your commute like? City? Freeway?

When you're on the open road, the name of the game is to keep it in lean burn!

MetroMPG 03-12-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

At anyrate, It sure beats driving a v8 truck around as a daily driver:D

Is that really why you got it? Did you do the math on payback, or was that a factor in the purchase?

Cd 03-12-2012 08:55 PM

Love the color !
It seems 98% are silver.

Is that a repaint or factory color ? It looks almost like a metallic midnight blue.

Any chances on more pictures ?

larrybuck 03-12-2012 10:11 PM

Nice buy! Look forward to many reports of progress from you.

I like these earlier Insights much better than any Toyota.

I really admire the CD figures for your body. Admittedly , when they first came out, I thought they were geeky looking, but now its purity of aero lights me up!

jamesqf 03-13-2012 12:03 AM

Quote:

[IMG]Think I should go ahead and put in new sparkplugs as well?

Depends on whether you know if it's likely to have been serviced according to Honda's service dates. The recommended replacement interval is 105K miles IIRC, so unless you've a good idea that they've been replaced already, it'd be a good idea. As mentioned, they are indexed, and come in A, B, C, and D sizes. The proper size should be stamped on the cylinder head next to the plug hole.

It's also time to check & adjust valve clearance.

Another item to check/replace is the cabin air filter. You have to remove the glove box to get at it, but it's not hard.

JediSpam 03-14-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 293074)
Depends on whether you know if it's likely to have been serviced according to Honda's service dates. The recommended replacement interval is 105K miles IIRC, so unless you've a good idea that they've been replaced already, it'd be a good idea. As mentioned, they are indexed, and come in A, B, C, and D sizes. The proper size should be stamped on the cylinder head next to the plug hole.

It's also time to check & adjust valve clearance.

Another item to check/replace is the cabin air filter. You have to remove the glove box to get at it, but it's not hard.

same thing as performing a valve adjustment?

Steaming 03-14-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 293021)
Is that really why you got it? Did you do the math on payback, or was that a factor in the purchase?

I did some math. If I drive 15,000 miles a year I save around $179/month in fuel (assuming $3.69/gal. and 18 mpg in the truck and 60mpg in the Insight.)

I understand I could have great savings and a quicker payoff if I were driving a 30-40 mpg cash car. But now I can have fun trying to hit 100 mpg and enjoying the hybrid technology.

I suspect the first generation Honda Insights may hold their value and even become more valuable collectables in my lifetime. I figure it's a good investment either way :)