EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Plan for Summer (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/plan-summer-1968.html)

FX2.3 04-23-2008 02:07 PM

Plan for Summer

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f8...y/SnowySS3.jpg

I would like some input on my plan for this summer..

-Engine:
Re-tune SCT Xcal

-Exterior:
Paint rear bumper
Paint front valance
Paint or Remove Fender Flares
Extend front aero mod

-Suspension:
Remove Lift Spindles
Install Stock Spindles
Remove Rear Blocks
Lower 2/2 ROUSH 2” Coils = $69.05 @ Hillbank $54.98 on eBay
Flip Hangers:
New U-Bolts
3/8” Grade 8 Bolts, nuts, washers, and nylon lock nuts

-Wheels:
15x7 Weld Prostar w/3.5 bs
225/70r15 KUMHO Solus KR21

-Budget $1200 if all new.

Sell current Tires/Rims for $300 and lift kit for $200 on craigslist.

Current tire/rim weigh 244lbs for all 4
Planned tire/rim weigh 148lb for all 4
96lb of rotation mass eliminated:eek:

Goal: Semi-Old School look with bed still useable(no cover) and at least 25 mpg city & 30mpg hwy.

200 miles at $3.54 / week / year
18 mpg / $39.33 / $2045.33 - current avg all city
20 mpg / $35.40 / $1840.80 - current avg mix
25 mpg / $28.32 / $1472.64 - goal city / best current hwy
28 mpg / $25.29 / $1314.86 - goal mix
30 mpg / $23.60 / $1227.20 - goal hwy
35 mpg / $20.23 / $1051.96 - dream goal hwy

So if I can get my goal mix of 28mpg, the mods could pay for themselves in about 14 months( if I can get $500 for my old stuff and if buy all new stuff) though it could be sooner if gas goes up any more..:turtle:

Kbb puts my truck at $4400, so it is not worth it to trade in, plus I love my truck too much!

SVOboy 04-23-2008 02:08 PM

Sounds ambitious, I'm definitely looking forward to watching your progress, :)

FX2.3 04-23-2008 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 21154)
Sounds ambitious, I'm definitely looking forward to watching your progress, :)

Hopefully the numbers are realistic.. The 96lbs of rotational mass should be about the same as removing 288lbs of static weight(1:3) though ive heard as much as (1:8 which would be 768lbs) and as low as (1:2 which would be 192lbs).. est 3% improvement in mpg from tires and rims, less rolling resistance, plus a lower center of gravity, less frontal drag, less tire exposed to airflow, plus less drag underneath with some aero mods, and a spoiler for that 10 degree goal from cab to end of bed will hopefully equal a 7mpg mix gain..

Daox 04-23-2008 02:57 PM

If you really want to get those high numbers your going to need to look at changing your driving style (even more if you have already). Mods are one thing, but driving style can net you an easy 20% increase for free, and much more if your willing to try for it. I too am anxious to see what you can get out of the Ranger though.

FX2.3 04-23-2008 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 21161)
If you really want to get those high numbers your going to need to look at changing your driving style (even more if you have already). Mods are one thing, but driving style can net you an easy 20% increase for free, and much more if your willing to try for it. I too am anxious to see what you can get out of the Ranger though.

I either drive with windows up with A/C (I live in texas)

or

I drive with windows down, music up, and a/c off..

but I always cruise at or under 2k rpm, and keep accelerations under 3k..

any slower is unrealistic with the way people drive here..

Daox 04-23-2008 03:37 PM

I'm not just talking about driving slow. I'm talking about driving without brakes, smart braking, pluse and glide, driving with load, potential parking, face out parking, ridge riding. These are all techniques you can use to increase fuel economy. See post #12 here for a link to an explination of the techniques. Its not all about driving like a granny. :)

Lazarus 04-23-2008 04:23 PM

Just something to throw out on a $1200 budget. You could get a good beater and smoke 28mpg easily. You have to run the numbers but it would pay for it self pretty quick especially if you pulling high 30's to low 40's with it.:) Something that would be tough to do in the truck.

FX2.3 04-23-2008 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus (Post 21169)
Just something to throw out on a $1200 budget. You could get a good beater and smoke 28mpg easily. You have to run the numbers but it would pay for it self pretty quick especially if you pulling high 30's to low 40's with it.:) Something that would be tough to do in the truck.

True, but the added insurance(19 year old male) and maintenance of 2 vehicles would suck up any gains.. plus parking isses.. best bet would be to sell the truck, but that will never happen.. sentimental value:p

I always say it is better to make what you have what you want it to be, built not bought..

Lazarus 04-23-2008 04:36 PM

Ok. Might want to make the SG(Scan Gauge) number one on the list then.

FX2.3 04-23-2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus (Post 21171)
Ok. Might want to make the SG(Scan Gauge) number one on the list then.

naaa Ill just throw a piece of wood attached to rope out the window on the port side and calculate my knots:p

I am looking for one, but not finding any for $100 or less used:(

PaleMelanesian 04-23-2008 05:31 PM

If you're planning $1200 in mods, you should definitely consider the 150 for a Scangauge. It'll help you save as much gas as all the other plans combined.

Big Dave 04-23-2008 09:53 PM

If you don't cover the bed and aggressively deal with your gearing, you will have to drive like Wayne Gerdes to get close to your goals.

Aero, gearing and driving. Those are the MPG fundamentals.

LostCause 04-23-2008 10:12 PM

If saving money is your goal, customizing your truck is not the way to go. You'll save the most if you just accept a car as transportation. If not, that's perfectly cool, but it's not the best long-term investment.

The way other people drive shouldn't affect you. It doesn't make a difference if people drive 90mph, swerve like mad, or big rigs tailgate you going 70mph. Understand your legal right (50-65mph) and don't let people drive you. If you want to drive 55, drive 55. Peer pressure is easy to ignore.

To get that mileage (35mpg):

Change Driving Habits
Grille Block
Rear Wheel Skirts
Bed Aerocap
Wheel Splitters, Boattails, Side Skirts
Undertray
Low Viscosity Oil w/ Oil Analysis
High tire PSI

- LostCause

cfg83 04-24-2008 02:16 AM

PaleMelanesian -

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian (Post 21173)
If you're planning $1200 in mods, you should definitely consider the 150 for a Scangauge. It'll help you save as much gas as all the other plans combined.

Yes yes yes. The SG also gives you OBD II error code access, which can cost up to $80 as a separate (and less useful all-by-itself) gizmo. Since the SG is portable, you can use it to help your pals when they get SES lights in their cars. The eXtra gauge info is cool too.

CarloSW2

ericbecky 04-24-2008 07:30 AM

I've used the scangauge twice in the last week to diagnose and reset codes in my car and my father in laws truck. Definitely a good deal.

zjrog 04-24-2008 10:24 AM

If I can get decent gains from my Jeep with modifying my driving habits, your 4 banger truck should show significant gains. Really.

PaleMelanesian 04-24-2008 12:07 PM

I will say this, though. If you already have the parts to lower it, go ahead. It can only help. Also, a bed cover will help. Look at Chris D for inspiration.

FX2.3 04-24-2008 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostCause (Post 21221)
If saving money is your goal, customizing your truck is not the way to go. You'll save the most if you just accept a car as transportation. If not, that's perfectly cool, but it's not the best long-term investment.

The way other people drive shouldn't affect you. It doesn't make a difference if people drive 90mph, swerve like mad, or big rigs tailgate you going 70mph. Understand your legal right (50-65mph) and don't let people drive you. If you want to drive 55, drive 55. Peer pressure is easy to ignore.

To get that mileage (35mpg):

Change Driving Habits
Grille Block
Rear Wheel Skirts
Bed Aerocap
Wheel Splitters, Boattails, Side Skirts
Undertray
Low Viscosity Oil w/ Oil Analysis
High tire PSI

- LostCause

I am working on my driving habits.
I might do the grille block, but worried about the +100F summers..
I might do clear rear skirts.
I can not have a full bed cover, I use the bed at least once a week to haul random crap; that is another reason why I have a truck and not a more economical car.
I am working on modifying my current aero mod under the bumper to have wheel splitters. Boat tail on a truck? Will look at side skirts.
Working on placement of an undertray, but due to drive shaft movement it will have to wait till after lowering.
I am running 5w-20 synthetic blend, have heard bad stories of lower viscosity oils causing leaks.
Tires are at 37 psi, could be higher but I plan to sell them soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 21270)
PaleMelanesian -

Yes yes yes. The SG also gives you OBD II error code access, which can cost up to $80 as a separate (and less useful all-by-itself) gizmo. Since the SG is portable, you can use it to help your pals when they get SES lights in their cars. The eXtra gauge info is cool too.

CarloSW2

Autozone does error codes for free.

I am considering a SG and the $1200 is a rough budget estimate including painting and all new components. I have seen great deals on craigslist that would cut it down to $600.

Lowering is cheap. NEW Coils are only $55 shipped, install stock spindles(free), remove rear blocks(free), NEW U bolts($25), flipping rear hangers($20 in bolts),,, so maybe $75 with tax for all new parts to lower 2/2 from stock or 5/4 from how it currently sits.

The greatest cost of the estimate is the rims NEW at $150 each shipped, so if I can find them used, I could get all 4 for $300 and have seen it but for 15x8s not 15x7 which those tires fit.

cfg83 04-24-2008 08:06 PM

FX2.3 -

Quote:

Originally Posted by FX2.3 (Post 21385)

Autozone does error codes for free.

Ooops, that's right.

CarloSW2

FX2.3 05-09-2008 11:38 PM

They are 15x9s, so they're not pizza cutters, lol. But for $80, I couldn't resist.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f8...09-08_1925.jpg
Should help with fishtailing in bad weather.. the tires are trash..