EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Poll: Civic HX wheels or 14" steelies with smoothie covers??? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/poll-civic-hx-wheels-14-steelies-smoothie-covers-32591.html)

MF Baker 08-18-2015 11:34 AM

Poll: Civic HX wheels or 14" steelies with smoothie covers???

I recently bought a set of ultimate civic vx wheels, but sadly my car cannot fit a 13" rim. So i am back to the 14" debate:

Should i go with 14" Civic HX wheels or stay with the oem 14" steelies and add full moon covers???

The hx wheels weigh in at 11.6 pounds each, not bad, but when i look up these steelies they jabe a shipping weight of 12 pounds, so untimately the HX wheels wont be saving me but a few oz at most, but they are availably localy and easily, not sure if its worth the cost, or if ultimately the aero of a fullmoon cover on steelies would be more beneficial than the coupl of oz saved not using steelies.

Please vote, HX, or steelie???

California98Civic 08-18-2015 12:10 PM

Don't believe the shipping weight you are being quoted. It must be more than 16lbs, I think, and I often see 14" steelies from the 1990s at 20lbs. Plus, the HX weight seems slihtly high. I think the number at wheelweights.net is closer to 11.0 ... the HX wheels are among the lightest 14" wheels ever fielded as OEM.

So ask yourself: is it mostly for freeway steady cruise driving? Then the steelies with covers might still be best. But the more stop and go or pulse and glide you plan to need or choose, the more the HX wheels will help you (much less rotational mass). To figure rotational mass double the wheel weight.

MF Baker 08-18-2015 01:28 PM

The wheelweights pdf says 11.75 for the hx wheels, i was mistaken and the site i had used said 11.8, not 11.6.

As for the steel wheel, i have a set of yaris steel wheels also, 15", those are listed on wheelweights at #18, ive found others saying only 16 pounds on forums, and the 14" ive found weights from 12 to 24 lol! I habe both so i am going to try and figure out a way to weigh them, but it seems as though the hx may be the way to go, there is a set for sale locally with new tires for 380, but they are 195/60s, which increases my footprint so thats not ideal either, but is slightly smaller diamer than stock size 185/65.

MF Baker 08-18-2015 01:50 PM

And good point on the driving, i am currently in the bay area so its never consistant highway mpg, but i am about to go on a long road trip and am moving basically, not sure where yet though haha! So still a tough choice.

MF Baker 08-18-2015 03:09 PM

Another option ive just turned up useing the wheel weight guide is a mazda miata semi hollow spoke wheel, 14x6 comes in at 10.9 pounds!!! And i can get a set of them locally.

deejaaa 08-18-2015 03:25 PM

so much to consider with wheels.
initial cost. if you spend 200.00 on a set of wheels, but already have a set that's paid for, figure how long it will take to pay off the new set vs keeping the old.
weight. as stated, weight will matter mostly in stop n go traffic.
ROI. if you get a set of moons, keep in mind they like to fly off when they feel like it, esp the knock-offs. I've lost 2 already. haven't noticed any increase in mpg so I think it was a waste.
if you buy a set of rims, tires and there is no increase in mpg, that will be a waste also.
to me, considering how old my car is, the cheapest way to increase mpg is the way I will go from now on. I don't care about looks either. but, if it doesn't work, it comes off.

MF Baker 08-18-2015 08:16 PM

Well, i am going to have to shut this one down, i just want and tried on some HX wheels and those dont fit either!!! Arg, those civics have the smallest brakes ever lol! So just gonna stick with steelies for now, no cool kid wheels for me :/

California98Civic 08-18-2015 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MF Baker (Post 490446)
Well, i am going to have to shut this one down, i just want and tried on some HX wheels and those dont fit either!!! Arg, those civics have the smallest brakes ever lol! So just gonna stick with steelies for now, no cool kid wheels for me :/

When I was contemplating a wheel change, I researched a bunch of options. In the end I stuck with the 13" VX wheels I bought. But here are the 15" and up sizes that seemed to fit my civic, so perhaps they'll solve your brake caliper troubles...

15" Mini Cooper R81 Imola 7-hole (12.1 lbs)
15" Mini Cooper R86 star-spoke (15 lbs)
15" Mini Cooper R96 7-spoke (13.8 lbs)
15" Enkei Classic J-speed (14.1 lbs)
15" Enkei RP-F1 (9.5 lb)*
15" Kosei K4R (10.7 lb)*
15" Konig Helium (11.2 lb) 40mm offset, hub bore 73.1mm

GotToyota 08-18-2015 09:54 PM

HX wheels for the win.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...ic%20Hatch.jpg

Baltothewolf 08-19-2015 12:00 AM

I love my HX rims with a passion. They look SO NICE when all cleaned up. If I ever sell my insight I will definitely keep the HX rims and buy a set of steelies to put on it.