EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   POLL: why don't you have a garage entry / fuel log? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/poll-why-dont-you-have-garage-entry-fuel-8790.html)

MetroMPG 06-15-2009 11:01 AM

POLL: why don't you have a garage entry / fuel log?

I have had this conversation with several moderators/EM members: there are more than a couple of active members who post regularly on EcoModder, but don't have a garage entry for their vehicle(s) and/or don't keep a fuel log.

Why not?

If that applies to you, please vote!

(Of course everyone is welcome to discuss).

MetroMPG 06-15-2009 11:14 AM

I think one reason the topic has come up repeatedly is that some members view a fuel log as a kind of stand-in for "reputation". (Usually the topic comes up if they disagree strongly with someone who doesn't have a garage entry or log!)

I can see the point.

But there are also more than a couple of EM members with no garage/fuel logs whose contributions and expertise I value a lot.

doviatt 06-15-2009 11:20 AM

I post my log so....I'll discuss.
I feel that it adds credibility to position and statements made. I always check someones fuel log to see if they are even close to acting like they present themselves. If I don't see one It usually diminishes the weight I place on their information. Sometimes the lack of a log does in fact clearly prove their position. I never judge the type of vehicle just the results and improvements posted. I like to see those doing the best with what they have.

I also appreciate those willing to experiment and show failures in their logs. All data is good data. Bad results or performance gives you something to improve upon. Especially if it is for an explained cause or allows you to find out that something unexpected went wrong.

Edit: I agree with this statement.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 110035)
Quote But there are also more than a couple of EM members with no garage/fuel logs whose contributions and expertise I value a lot.

bikin' Ed 06-15-2009 11:33 AM

No option

My reason for not posting isn't listed. I never get to drive a full tank unless I'm on a trip--and posting just hwy. isn't quite right.

I really try to ride my bike when I can, therefore the truck is there for another family member to use--and they do. With 3-4 drivers over the course of a tank the results would never be consistant.

I do zero the computer and check my mileage, which I can tell you is a pretty consistant 20.5 mpg around town for the Dakota.

wagonman76 06-15-2009 12:35 PM

I enter the vehicles that I mainly drive and am able to at least try to save fuel. I didn't enter my van because the wife usually drives it and she doesn't try to save fuel. And when I drive it, it is for utility purposes like hauling things or mainly towing, which is not typical use either. Once in a blue moon I have driven it to work and have gotten 28 mpg, I am sure I could get 30 mpg downstate. I expect my fuel log to be for others to read and should consist of typical use for a vehicle.

tasdrouille 06-15-2009 12:52 PM

Having no fuel log is only an issue when you are involved in an argumentation based on personal opinion, which always sucks even if you have the best looking fuel log out there. When you participate and contribute it doesn't really matter.

Personally, I think that if you are to take the time to participate and contribute, maintaining a fuel log is really not much effort and can only do you good.

jamesqf 06-15-2009 01:08 PM

"I keep the info elsewhere" comes closest to my situation. I drive a Honda Insight, which automatically keeps track of the lifetime (reset shortly after I bought it), tank and trip mpg.

MetroMPG 06-15-2009 01:38 PM

Bikin' Ed & Wagonman: That's an interesting reason - sharing a vehicle with other people who pollute your results!

PaleMelanesian 06-15-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wagonman76 (Post 110053)
I enter the vehicles that I mainly drive and am able to at least try to save fuel. I didn't enter my van because the wife usually drives it and she doesn't try to save fuel.

Exactly why I don't log the 2004 Odyssey. I only drive it on weekends and family trips. I log its mileage in a spreadsheet for my own records. ~21 mpg average. I've had it over 30 for several highway trips and for some in-town trips, so you can see the difference the driver makes.

I don't think a log for a good-but-normal driver in a stock vehicle contributes anything to this site.

Piwoslaw 06-15-2009 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 110072)
Bikin' Ed & Wagonman: That's an interesting reason - sharing a vehicle with other people who pollute your results!

I enter my car's data, even though Dad-in-law borrows it every few weeks, and he loves high rpm's, going over the speed limit, no coasting or engine braking, and everything my diesel just hates. His is the other car in the house (or the only car in the house, since mine sleeps outside), and I don't even dare ask him to keep a log.
Soon the Wife will have her licence, so my share of each tank will drop even further. But at least there is a chance that my ecodriving will have an influence on her :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian (Post 110079)
I don't think a log for a good-but-normal driver in a stock vehicle contributes anything to this site.

It would be nice to see how close, or how far, the EPA ratings are to the typical, good-but-normal driver.

PaleMelanesian 06-15-2009 03:28 PM

You do have a point. Old epa is 18/25, 21 combined for this van.

Average is 21 mpg. Highway trips are usually 28+, with a highest of 35 mpg.

New epa is a joke.

vtec-e 06-15-2009 06:28 PM

Sheer laziness on my behalf. Up until recently when someone mentioned i should do one. So i did! Without the tutorial i wouldn't have had a hope. I have no clue how all this internet programming works. So thanks for the tutorial. It's a pity i cant put in litres as the fuel amount. Well, maybe there is a way but i didn't find it.....

ollie

UfoTofU 06-15-2009 07:47 PM

I don't track my fuel consumption

Christ 06-15-2009 08:18 PM

I've been slacking lately, and haven't entered my last few tanks in my log... I didn't have internet and fuel receipts at the same time, so I just couldn't manage it really..

I don't place a lot of stock in fuel logs anyway, because the average fuel log still contains way too many variables to be considered concrete information. I keep it for my personal use, but if someone else wants to view them, and take hints from my information, so be it.

I don't judge people by actions I can't confirm... If your information/opinions are normally correct/useful, you gain my respect. I don't think that a person's lack of perogative to record their mileage or other details necessarily means they shouldn't speak about ways to improve their mileage, etc...

Just because someone else isn't necessarily a light-foot, doesn't mean they can't suggest it to someone else asking how to manage their fuel more effectively, in other words. Not everything in life requires "practice what you preach" mentality.

metroschultz 06-16-2009 10:33 AM

I'm a leech

I picked;
"Armchair Quarterback"
No one else had, so I had to.
I've been carpooling to work for months,
My Metro is apart and time won't let me get her back together,
I share the Avalon with my wife and I seldom know when she fills up.
I CAN NOT get my daughter to give me info on the Jetta.
I kept the log on the Metro till I started carpooling and then my fill ups were few and far between, (really, I believe I have only filled up 3 or 4 times this year) Then I had an oil leak to fix which turned into a pile of doodoo. So I'm rebuilding the whole motor and trying to work three jobs at the same time so the fuel log is not high on the priority list.
----------------------BUT-----------------------
Soon I will have my
SuperElasticBubblePlastic
running again and I will only be working two jobs,
-----------------------------SO-------------------------
I will be more diligent about maintaining my log.
Please don't ban me,
I feel at home with you guys, as you understand my need for anti-speed.
Life the Universe and Everything else just got in the way.
So long and thanx for all the fish,
Schultz

SVOboy 06-16-2009 09:27 PM

I like bringing down darin's spirits

MetroMPG 06-16-2009 11:01 PM

Ban metroschultz? Not a chance! 3 jobs, and a torn down Metro. There's a full plate.

Christ, good point: a fuel log is only as good as your level of trust in the person who maintains it. I've never suspected anyone of fudging...

Christ 06-16-2009 11:13 PM

I don't suspect it either, and I don't maintain that anyone isn't doing it. I maintain that if your perogative is to waste your time fudging a fuel log to impress people you don't really know, and probably will never meet, then I guess that's on you (figuratively, not personally). I'll do me, you do you.

I just don't really see the spread of knowledge being a "practice what you preach" scenario. What with all the "fact checking" that goes on around here, those who would normally spread false information are typically silenced quickly by the correct information, accompanied by several sources from which to verify said information, and as such, I don't personally feel that something so subjective should be used as further evidence of someone's honesty/integrity.

IOW - some people really don't care about fuel economy, as it were, but are more interested in spreading/supplying knowledge to those who wish to pursue it. Are they to be ignored for not having kept accurate fuel logs? For not striving to get the most out of every drop of fuel they burn? For aiding others with their pursuit of fuel economy/efficiency, but not practicing the same?

I say nay.

/dismount "highHorse.exe"

captainslug 06-20-2009 10:26 PM

Option #7: Because I haven't used any fuel, and I got tired of converting units