EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Poorly swaped VTEC-E (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/poorly-swaped-vtec-e-17091.html)

GreenGoer 04-28-2011 07:20 PM

Poorly swaped VTEC-E

Hi, so when the original D15Z1 engine in my 1992 Civic VX was done at around 540 000 km my local parts guys said they could get me the same engine from japan way cheaper than fixing my original engine. This was months ago, before I really knew anything about my car. All I knew was that I get 600km on my 38L tank at the worst of times. I expressed to the guys that this was the only reason to keep this car and if they could get the same engine then I'm in. $850 later I drove away with a VTEC-E and now I'm getting about 400km to a tank, that's like 35mpg.

My original D15Z1 went to scrap and I'm told its likely melted down. My research has taught me that there were some parts from the original that I (or maybe they) should have kept. My question is has anyone done this swap? I'm told the JDM intake is part of the problem, is there any other parts that are essential to get me back to my 55mpg. I came across one post somewhere that outlined this swap, this was before I knew what I was reading and I can't for the life of me find it now that I might understand what it said.
Any info would be helpful, I made a half assed attempt to find an intake then thought I might as well get the whole plan before I start stabbing in the dark. Thank you to those who responded to my plea for a VX intake, I'm hit and miss these days.

Cheers

Ryland 04-29-2011 03:48 AM

Any way that you could post photos of your new engine? intake, exhaust, take the valve cover off and a photo of the head, also check the engine number on the front of the block under the distributor.

GreenGoer 04-29-2011 10:44 AM

Pics

3 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple pics, I wont get a chance to pull the valve cover until sunday.
Notice the original intake fits inside the oversized trottle body...?
The engine is indeed stamped D15B.

Mpgian 04-29-2011 03:00 PM

The D15B IS the D15z1! As long as it has the correct head, and oil cooler/heater on the back. In japan they called 3 or 4 motors the D15b but as long as it has vtec-E on the cover and it looks to me to be a legit d15z1...

I had the same "OH-S!!!" moment when I read that on my "d15b" (d15z1) motor!

I belive (dont quote me) that you are right! the intake is a little different... the only thing different is the USDM vx intake had 2 vac ports so you could run a purge solenoid to a charcoal canister. you can tap of the 1 you have, or drill and tap a new hole, and run a barbed nipple. (do this with the intake off the car, and clean the shavings out before you put it back on!!!)

It kindof looks like you drove your car under salt water for a few years, then in a few dirt fields with no bumper/ hood on for 10000 miles.... and the motor matches...