EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Popular Science Archive free online - very cool (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/popular-science-archive-free-online-very-cool-12512.html)

Russ 03-04-2010 07:06 PM

Popular Science Archive free online - very cool

Popular Science has made their entire archive available online and searchable.
I've already read a few articles about electric cars from 1940.

Popular Science Puts Entire Scanned Archive Online, Free | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Search the PopSci Archives | Popular Science

My apologies if it's already been posted elsewhere.

-Russ

rmay635703 03-04-2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 164351)
Popular Science has made their entire archive available online and searchable.

Search the PopSci Archives | Popular Science

My apologies if it's already been posted elsewhere.

-Russ

Interesting, too bad the search function doesn't work for me.

I am looking for this article on the lead cobalt powered Voltaire

http://www.electricauto.com/images/prev_model04.jpg

Cheers
Ryan

Russ 03-05-2010 12:06 AM

I didn't have any trouble finding it.
Not sure this link will work for you, but try it.

Archive Viewer | Popular Science

Also it's voltair with no 'e'.

rmay635703 03-10-2010 07:21 PM

Now I get a screen with the message about using the magnifying lense but everything else is blank,

Ah well thats the trouble with slowmo internet.

Piwoslaw 03-11-2010 04:46 AM

Just last week I found a stash of my old PopSci issues from the mid-90's. Now I can older issues, too:)

Russ 03-12-2010 07:20 PM

Ahhh

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 165421)
Now I get a screen with the message about using the magnifying lense but everything else is blank,

Ah well thats the trouble with slowmo internet.

That probably explains it, a lot of data there. I don't see a way to save right off. Maybe it's here somewhere.

http://www.google.com/search?q=save+...ient=firefox-a

Here's another path to the same data thru google books:

Popular Science - Google Books

good luck. I'm not sure how bad you want that article, Library might be worth a shot. Or internet cafe I suppose.

user removed 03-12-2010 09:32 PM

One article from long ago I would like to find was the mileage contest where a 1970 Opel Kadett Wagon got something like 124 MPG.

The contest was about the same time the car was built.

The only mods I remember were they blocked off the secondary of the carb, installed radial tires, and blocked the accelerator pedal so it would only depress about 40%.

They accelerated to 45 MPH in 3rd gear and coasted to 15 MPH with the engine off, then repeated the process using only 3rd gear. Average speed was 26 MPH.

regards
Mech

Russ 03-12-2010 09:45 PM

Hmmm...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 165766)
One article from long ago I would like to find was the mileage contest where a 1970 Opel Kadett Wagon got something like 124 MPG.

You hooked me with that comment.
Took me 10 minutes to find it.

This the one?

Archive Viewer | Popular Science

user removed 03-12-2010 10:28 PM

I think that Opel was something like a 1958 model that had been highly modified.

The one I remember was about 1970. The rules allowed few modifications.
It was basically a stock wagon version (more aerodynamic than a sedan).
The radial tires, accelerator limiting (block of wood) and vacuum secondary disabling (think it was vacuum operated), were close to the limits of allowable modifications.

You had to average 26 MPH.

The one in the article you found was drastically modified. I think they even coated the engine block with insulation so heat losses were practically nothing.

I have no doubt that many of the younger members here have far superior Internet search talents to mine, but I have never found a reference to the one I remember. That same memory is now 40 years ago when I was 19 years old. There may not be any information available on the Internet, but you never know for sure.

Knowing that you could at least triple the normal fuel economy that was demonstrated in that contest, was one of the things that always kept bugging me about how you could accomplish that while not having the pulse and glide EOC driving tactic.

it was the driving force behind my pursuit of an efficient Infinitely Variable transmission, which combined with highly efficient storage would allow P&G to be utilized without using the vehicle for energy storage. Instead you could use a hydraulic accumulator or flywheel for sort term storage and the IVT transmission could apply stored energy for a constant vehicle speed.

The first time I remember reading about EOC P&G was during WW2 gas rationing.

regards
Mech

gc-steve 03-12-2010 10:32 PM

You can also view them on Google here. Little easier to read.

There is a link in the upper left to browse all issues.