Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2016, 07:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
LittleBlackDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: The Land Downunder
Posts: 229

CT - '11 Lexus CT200h Luxury
Thanks: 26
Thanked 80 Times in 61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Yeah I have used them.
They take too long.
What do you mean they take too long? Are we talking about the same thing?

These jump packs use a set of jumper leads and work the same as a normal jump pack except they fit into your pocket. You connect it up and start the engine.

Simon

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 11-21-2016, 11:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Stubby79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 1,746

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Thanks: 75
Thanked 570 Times in 425 Posts
If you want something that won't weigh a lot and can hold it's charge, it's probably worth it. It's peace of mind in your glove box.

If you don't care about weight, then there's the older sealed lead acid versions. If you go months and months between charges, you might find it dead though. Plus I don't think they care for much below freezing temps.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 02:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
LittleBlackDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: The Land Downunder
Posts: 229

CT - '11 Lexus CT200h Luxury
Thanks: 26
Thanked 80 Times in 61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
The wires at the starter are beefier than the wires at the cigarette lighter for a reason. This isn't just spam, it's dangerous.
The wires are adequate for their purpose. Can you please explain what is dangerous about charging the car battery via the lighter socket that is protected by a fuse (generally 15A) that is sized to protect the wiring?

If you are trying to jump start a car via the lighter socket then you are stupid and doomed to failure.

Simon

P.S. did you even read the instructions in the first photo?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Rat Racer
 
Fat Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Route 16
Posts: 4,150

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,784
Thanked 1,919 Times in 1,246 Posts
I've seen too many people who think the answer to blown fuses is to replace them with larger fuses.

Stupid and doomed to failure is right.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
In the fasting lane
 
RedDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Nieuwegein, the Netherlands
Posts: 3,962

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 52.11 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,687
Thanked 2,203 Times in 1,427 Posts
Maycool had a first post about the same subject on InsightCentral too:

Do cigarette lighter jump starters work? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

So, inquisitive new poster or a spambot?
__________________
2011 Honda Insight + HID, LEDs, tiny PV panel, extra brake pad return springs, neutral wheel alignment, 44/42 PSI (air), PHEV light (inop), tightened wheel nut.
lifetime FE over 0.17 Gmeter or 0.1 Mmile.



Investors woes:
"In hindsight, I should have placed a bet on the horse that won the race"
"In hindsight, I should have bet more on that horse"
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 01:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,209
Thanks: 225
Thanked 808 Times in 592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlackDuck View Post
Can you please explain what is dangerous about charging the car battery via the lighter socket that is protected by a fuse (generally 15A) that is sized to protect the wiring?
Charging the car battery and jump starting are two different things. If you tried to jump start through the lighter (or aux power in my car), that 15 amp fuse would blow immediately.

It'd be like trying to jump start the car with a 10-15 amp trickle changer. But something like that would be useful for a hybrid, like my Insight, where if the 12-volt battery goes dead, you can't get power from the IMA battery.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 02:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
LittleBlackDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: The Land Downunder
Posts: 229

CT - '11 Lexus CT200h Luxury
Thanks: 26
Thanked 80 Times in 61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Charging the car battery and jump starting are two different things. If you tried to jump start through the lighter (or aux power in my car), that 15 amp fuse would blow immediately.

It'd be like trying to jump start the car with a 10-15 amp trickle changer. But something like that would be useful for a hybrid, like my Insight, where if the 12-volt battery goes dead, you can't get power from the IMA battery.
Same situation in my Lexus and Toyota hybrids. Only hitch is that the lighter socket may not be live all the time, and thus cannot backfeed to the battery. It could cause damage on some of the newer vehicles. USE CAUTION!!!

Simon
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 03:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
vskid3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 975

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
Thanks: 193
Thanked 312 Times in 221 Posts
Am I the only one seeing the last picture? It looks like you can clamp it to the battery like a regular jump box and start the car that way. Still might not be good enough for a stone-cold dead battery and large engine, but would probably be fine if the battery is just on its way out. I think there's some poor translation or too much dumbing-down in the instructions.
__________________


Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 03:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Administrator
 
Daox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Germantown, WI
Posts: 11,175

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)
Thanks: 2,474
Thanked 2,538 Times in 1,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Maycool had a first post about the same subject on InsightCentral too:

Do cigarette lighter jump starters work? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

So, inquisitive new poster or a spambot?
He is a spammer, but I removed his link and it provoked good discussion so I left it.
__________________
Current project: A better alternator delete
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:12 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
LittleBlackDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: The Land Downunder
Posts: 229

CT - '11 Lexus CT200h Luxury
Thanks: 26
Thanked 80 Times in 61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
Am I the only one seeing the last picture? It looks like you can clamp it to the battery like a regular jump box and start the car that way. Still might not be good enough for a stone-cold dead battery and large engine, but would probably be fine if the battery is just on its way out. I think there's some poor translation or too much dumbing-down in the instructions.
Nope. I have a similar box and commented that I have jump started a Lexus V6 with it. They are a great tool.

Simon

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Tags
portable jumpstarter

Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com