EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   portable jumpstarter ? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/portable-jumpstarter-34566.html)

maycool 11-21-2016 03:31 AM

portable jumpstarter ?

I'm looking at getting portable jump starter to carry in my pickup,it will be available when the winter comes again.
i was just looking some Jump Starte on amazon,i find YUNSHANGAUTO Dual Mode Micro Car Starter 600A Peak Portable Car Jump Starter 12000mAh Power Bank(Up to 6.5L Gas or 5.0L Diesel Engine) Emergency Auto Battery Pack Booster Charger with LED Light. price:$89.9
Has anyone ever used one of those portable jump starter :Start your car from cigarette lighter socket inside the car and Jump start your car outside.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1001_.jpg
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1001_.jpg

I'm wondering What is the most important factor to choose one Jump Starter,Whether it is worth buying at this price.

Gasoline Fumes 11-21-2016 05:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1479724337

LittleBlackDuck 11-21-2016 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes (Post 527549)

This is spam!

The original post has a few advertising foibles but I have a similar jump pack and it starts a Lexus V6 easily with the jumper leads. The cigarette lead part is pure crapola. I bought mine for about $50 off eBay.

Simon

gumby79 11-21-2016 06:35 AM

Was looking at an 86 AMC Eagle. Had been parked a cupple years bat. Dead not even a click. The owners frind pulled one of theas out ,don't know specs, hooked it up waited 5min and it started after a few trys , macanical fuel pump .

Frank Lee 11-21-2016 07:20 AM

I always figured if I was going to spend that much I'd rather simply get a good battery.

Fat Charlie 11-21-2016 08:22 AM

The wires at the starter are beefier than the wires at the cigarette lighter for a reason. This isn't just spam, it's dangerous.

oil pan 4 11-21-2016 09:35 AM

That thing is junk.
For $90 I can buy a real jump starter pack that actually works.

redpoint5 11-21-2016 10:51 AM

I built a supercapacitor jump pack with 400 farad caps. As long as you can get them up to 10v, you can jump most vehicles. A weak battery in parallel with the supercaps will start. I've jumped a neighbors car using it.

The real purpose was to experiment with the technology, since it isn't cheap at about $65.

LittleBlackDuck 11-21-2016 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 527561)
That thing is junk.
For $90 I can buy a real jump starter pack that actually works.

Have you used one? I have and they are not junk! They are a real jump starter pack.

Simon

oil pan 4 11-21-2016 03:16 PM

Yeah I have used them.
They take too long.

LittleBlackDuck 11-21-2016 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 527591)
Yeah I have used them.
They take too long.

What do you mean they take too long? Are we talking about the same thing?

These jump packs use a set of jumper leads and work the same as a normal jump pack except they fit into your pocket. You connect it up and start the engine.

Simon

Stubby79 11-21-2016 11:10 PM

If you want something that won't weigh a lot and can hold it's charge, it's probably worth it. It's peace of mind in your glove box.

If you don't care about weight, then there's the older sealed lead acid versions. If you go months and months between charges, you might find it dead though. Plus I don't think they care for much below freezing temps.

LittleBlackDuck 11-22-2016 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 527554)
The wires at the starter are beefier than the wires at the cigarette lighter for a reason. This isn't just spam, it's dangerous.

The wires are adequate for their purpose. Can you please explain what is dangerous about charging the car battery via the lighter socket that is protected by a fuse (generally 15A) that is sized to protect the wiring?

If you are trying to jump start a car via the lighter socket then you are stupid and doomed to failure.

Simon

P.S. did you even read the instructions in the first photo?

Fat Charlie 11-22-2016 08:07 AM

I've seen too many people who think the answer to blown fuses is to replace them with larger fuses.

Stupid and doomed to failure is right.

RedDevil 11-22-2016 08:57 AM

Maycool had a first post about the same subject on InsightCentral too:

Do cigarette lighter jump starters work? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

So, inquisitive new poster or a spambot?

jamesqf 11-22-2016 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleBlackDuck (Post 527621)
Can you please explain what is dangerous about charging the car battery via the lighter socket that is protected by a fuse (generally 15A) that is sized to protect the wiring?

Charging the car battery and jump starting are two different things. If you tried to jump start through the lighter (or aux power in my car), that 15 amp fuse would blow immediately.

It'd be like trying to jump start the car with a 10-15 amp trickle changer. But something like that would be useful for a hybrid, like my Insight, where if the 12-volt battery goes dead, you can't get power from the IMA battery.

LittleBlackDuck 11-22-2016 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 527659)
Charging the car battery and jump starting are two different things. If you tried to jump start through the lighter (or aux power in my car), that 15 amp fuse would blow immediately.

It'd be like trying to jump start the car with a 10-15 amp trickle changer. But something like that would be useful for a hybrid, like my Insight, where if the 12-volt battery goes dead, you can't get power from the IMA battery.

Same situation in my Lexus and Toyota hybrids. Only hitch is that the lighter socket may not be live all the time, and thus cannot backfeed to the battery. It could cause damage on some of the newer vehicles. USE CAUTION!!!

Simon

vskid3 11-22-2016 03:37 PM

Am I the only one seeing the last picture? It looks like you can clamp it to the battery like a regular jump box and start the car that way. Still might not be good enough for a stone-cold dead battery and large engine, but would probably be fine if the battery is just on its way out. I think there's some poor translation or too much dumbing-down in the instructions.

Daox 11-22-2016 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDevil (Post 527626)
Maycool had a first post about the same subject on InsightCentral too:

Do cigarette lighter jump starters work? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

So, inquisitive new poster or a spambot?

He is a spammer, but I removed his link and it provoked good discussion so I left it. :)

LittleBlackDuck 11-23-2016 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vskid3 (Post 527678)
Am I the only one seeing the last picture? It looks like you can clamp it to the battery like a regular jump box and start the car that way. Still might not be good enough for a stone-cold dead battery and large engine, but would probably be fine if the battery is just on its way out. I think there's some poor translation or too much dumbing-down in the instructions.

Nope. I have a similar box and commented that I have jump started a Lexus V6 with it. They are a great tool.

Simon

elhigh 11-23-2016 12:10 PM

I have yet to find a jumper pack that worked on our vehicles here at work. I had one that got tried on four different cars and two different trucks (at various different times), and I always made sure the pack was charged. No joy, not even once. I recycled it.

On the other hand, the jumper cables in the maintenance truck work great.

Nautilus 02-13-2017 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vskid3 (Post 527678)

A pocket lithium jump starter can and will start a gasoline engine in the 2 liter range, if clamped directly to battery terminals. But not in the form it's sold in stores or Amazon. As it comes from factory, it has a pack of Schottky diodes on the + wire, to protect from reverse polarity. Ordinary, board soldered Schottky diodes. A 200 amp diode is 10 times bigger and looks nothing like a board soldered diode.

So the board of diodes has to be removed and replaced with a solid copper bar. Once this is done, a 5.8Ah lithium jump starter can give "a kick" to a weak battery and turn the starter motor. After 2 starts, its charge barely falls from 4 LEDs to 3. On a dead battery it may struggle, or not be able to turn the starter motor more than a few turns.

The jump starter is less than 1/2 lbs and it can be easily held in a coat pocket, like a big smartphone.

Wires are 10 AWG, too thin to carry current for a sizable amount of time, but enough to fire a burst of current for 1-2 seconds, as needed for a jump start.

Due to being cheap and very lightweight, it's a good addition to have in the car if you are stranded somewhere with a weak battery.

ThermionicScott 02-14-2017 04:55 PM

It's too bad that the option of manual crank-starting went the way of the dodo long ago. Now there's a simple, cheap, direct way of cranking an engine over, if you know what you're doing. ;)

jakobnev 02-14-2017 06:37 PM

Hand crank is back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pnXaENvCKc

Stubby79 02-15-2017 07:50 AM

I've had/have a couple that use an 18ah SLA battery, and they will make up the difference if your battery is a bit too weak to crank over. Completely dead? Probably not, though I have hooked one directly to a starter on an engine that's out of the car and cranked it over just fine, as long as the battery pack was fully charged.

I had one with a smaller, 7ah battery in it. It could help, but wasn't really enough to make a big difference.

I h ave one of those mini lithium ones. I haven't had to use it yet, so couldn't attest to how useful they are. It only has 10-gauge wires on it, so I don't expect it'll put out more than 50 or 100 amps, whatever it might actually be rated at (400?).

Again, the big, heavy SLA ones (~18ah) work fine on 4 bangers, or even 6s.

Nautilus 02-15-2017 08:18 AM

Even through 10-gauge wires, the lithium battery can fire a short burst of current, for 1-2 seconds, as needed for a jump start. But not through diodes on the wire, these have to go away.

Inside there are 3 x 3.7 volts lithium batteries, as used on tablets and bigger smartphones, wired in series. They can give, depending on size, 3900 to 8000 mAh (less than nominal, 5800 to 12000 mAh).

Lithium batteries can discharge in one burst, like a supercapacitor. This is one of the reasons they are so dangerous and catch fire so easily. Sluggish lead-acid batteries can't put out the needed amps quick enough.

RedDevil 05-04-2018 11:30 AM

I got myself this Li-ion compressor and jump starter.

The compressor is the #1 application I got this for.
No more fiddling with the stubborn wire to the 12V plug on the Honda compressor which is very stiff when cold.
No more fiddling with the screw-on nipple which always leaks; this one has a proper lever.

And it can jump start the car, shine a light and charge my phone 7 times over.
https://www.lidl.co.uk/catalog3media.../290781_01.jpg
Top brand too: Ultimate Speed, not Initial Mass or Intermediate Reliability... Only the Besth! ;)

https://i.imgur.com/T0mKo3n.jpg
Hardly any bigger than the original compressor that came with the tire sealant kit in the car.
Much smaller and lighter than the starter cables I took out of the trunk.

mattrod 06-27-2018 04:24 AM

I have a Quipall jumpstart. It was a gift. I keep it in the trunk of my car.

Stubby79 06-27-2018 11:26 AM

Turns out my lithium jump pack is done. Never really used it. Failed to help jump start my car the one time I tried to use it a few months back. Discovered it was toast when using the USB ports to recharge something...it only lasted a few minutes before being depleted, when it should have lasted hours.

Not planning on replacing it. Not much point if they'll crap out before getting used.