EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   possible ev motor candidate? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/possible-ev-motor-candidate-8507.html)

my first gmc 05-25-2009 08:10 PM

possible ev motor candidate?

Ok, guys. We're in the process of remodeling our weekend/summer home and our pumpshed is on the list for demolition. The pump has a 3/4 hp motor that 110/240v. I believe it's a/c because it has three wires and the fact that it run on 110. I would like to put it into a homebuilt golfcart I'm planning to run on either 24 or 36 volts. Tomorrow I'm taking it off the pump to get pictures and more info for you guys. Ya'll think I'd be able to use this motor?

theunchosen 05-25-2009 08:29 PM

Do you have any torque numbers off the engine? They ought to be stamped somewhere? Well they usually are lol.

Its AC unless its got something that gets hot when you plug it up(not turned on).

I don't know that it would be a very good golf cart motor. . .golf carts are pretty freaking heavy. The batteries are enormous and heavy. The 3/4 hp won't do much good against a normal cart. If its lightened alot then it should be fine as long as you aren't planning on using it on the highway or roads. . .

my first gmc 05-25-2009 08:48 PM

Sorry, not yet. It's going to have a custom built chassis(not aluminum though :( ) and 2 or 3 12v batteries instead of 6-8 6v floodies. Hopefully it won't be too heavy.

Ryland 05-25-2009 09:55 PM

3/4hp is really small, then with an ac motor you need an inverter, golf carts normally have 3-6hp motors, my electric bike is almost 3/4hp at 25mph.

my first gmc 05-25-2009 10:06 PM

Hmmm, well I think I may have a hook-up to get a golf cart rear end. So hopefully that will come through.

TomEV 05-28-2009 12:06 AM

If you have a source for a golf cart differential, they may throw in an old series DC motor with the correct spline type. May still be attached even...

A 3/4 hp AC motor may not have enough torque to get a golf cart moving. Many AC motors (like for pumps, etc.) have a starting capacitor that stores enough juice to get the motor turning against a smallish load so it can attain a few hundred RPM in a half second or so, and accelerate on the amount of current (ten amps or so) available on the AC circuit. If the load is too large, the cap will run out of power, and the motor will turn very slowly as it stalls. In general, DC motors have better starting performance and can run directly off a battery pack (more or less).

A common starting load for a golf cart is 400 amps at 48 volts. Sometimes higher. Would equate to about 160 amps @ 120v which is beyond the ability of most small inverters (and many household plugs...)