EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Possible target vehicle? (host for EV) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/possible-target-vehicle-host-ev-1437.html)

WaxyChicken 03-17-2008 04:20 AM

Possible target vehicle? (host for EV)

Need a car for parts?
Craigs List:
Date: 2008-03-16, 5:37PM MST

I would like to get rid of my car. Still runs but recently had a diagnostics done to see why it wouldn't pass emissions and found out the repairs it needs is way more than it's worth. Not trying to make a lot of money.

Has lots of new parts, plugs, wires, radiator, battery, tires (3 new, 1 patched).

1992 Saturn SC

My only problem is I currently don't have the title.

If interested please e-mail me at djerve@cox.net

====================================
----- Original Message -----
To:.....@,,,,,
Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2008 6:24 PM
Subject: !before you part it out...

I'm looking for a car to convert to electric.

Is the Saturn a stick shift? (it would need to be a standard/manual/stick transmission)

I would not need:
Engine
Radiator
Cat-converter
Gas tank
Exhaust
starter
alternator.

I would want to keep in the car:
A/C
Braking System
power Steering System
Air Bag
body (including lights, glass, etc)
interior
on board computer
clear or salvaged title
transmission

What would you charge me for your car if i let you sell the other parts first?
what would you charge me for the car as-is in it's current condition?

And i would also make sure the car isn't scrapped. i would make sure it sees the road for many years to come.

Let me know if we can work something out.
-Vincent

==============================

Subject: Re: !before you part it out...
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 19:45:15 -0700

Hello,

No it's not a stick shift. The computer system is one of the major problems it has. I found that out when I had the diagnostics done. There isn't any body damage but it does a few other things wrong. The drivers seat is broken and the passenger door doesn't shut tight, I'm guessing it needs to be straightened out somehow.

I'm not looking to sell the parts myself so I would want to just get rid of it completely. Only looking for maybe around $250. as is.

================================================

I'd like to come down and take a look at it.
for $250 I might be able to recoup the cost by selling the parts i won't need,
perhaps swap out the automatic for a stick transmission.
I'll have to come down and see how much space there is for the electric motor and a few things like that and then let you know if i can use it.
then I'll need to make arrangements to tow it if it can't be driven to my house.

(###)-###-#### ask for Vincent or Dee

If you change your mind then let me know.
you MIGHT get 300 from a scrap tow truck, but that would be the waste of what might be a perfectly good electric project car.

=================================
=================================

I'll have to see about the title.
I'll still have to research the car.
worst case scenero I simply tell him it won't work and that i'm sorry for wasting his time.

bennelson 03-17-2008 09:29 AM

Does SC stand for "Small Coupe"?

I saw a 93 SC for sale a while back. The body looked great. Those early Saturns had the "dent resistant" sides on them, which were fiberglass or plastic or something rustproof. Same problem though, in that it was an automatic. I would have bought it if it were stick. Really nice looking car too - kinda sporty.

Weight on those cars is reasonable.

Be careful of buying any car without a title. I bought my motorcycle frame without a title. I was able to get a title by sending in a wad of money and paperwork to the DMV, but it could have been worse.

Find out from your state DMV what you would need to do to get a title before you buy something without one.

If it's no big deal, great. But it's good to know what you are getting yourself into ahead of time.

The last thing you want is to put lots of time and money into a project and not legally be able to drive it!!!!

Ryland 03-17-2008 02:24 PM

If he just misplaced the title, then a short trip to the DMV will get you a leagle replacement that can be signed over to you, the person who's name it's in needs to do this, if that person can't be found then it might just be a stolen car, and the DMV will talk to you as if you bought a stolen car.

WaxyChicken 03-18-2008 10:44 PM

I decided to let it go.
I'm convinced that i can find a better car for the deal with less title hassle.
Besides, i might have to pay that ticket tomorrow when i go to court.

bennelson 03-19-2008 08:29 AM

Keep looking!

I was starting to get discouraged right before I found mine.

At least I know what to look for now!

dremd 03-19-2008 10:32 AM

How about a Miata?
Old ones are getting real cheap, they are fun, fun to be seen in . . . .
Another one of those Ideas that I like to throw out there.

bennelson 03-19-2008 11:03 AM

I took a look at a Miata for conversion to electric.

I think it's a great candidate. They are front longitudinal engine/rear drive, just like a pickup truck. That would make it real easy to work on the conversion.

The one I looked at was real beat up. It would have been a better restoration than a conversion.

WaxyChicken 03-19-2008 11:56 PM

Today I stopped by the impound yard on the way back from court.
(yes, had to pay the fine)

I left my name and number and they will give me a ring when a good project car comes in.

They'll charge a ballpark figure of $250 for a cheap car with just keys and title.

I'll just have to find a way to move it when it's available.

I told him to keep a look out for anything stick and similar to a 80's Toyota Cellica or Chevy Chevette.

if i get a Celica made before 86 then there is a good chance that it will also be a RWD vehicle.

But the tow distance is about 35 - 40 miles.

dremd 03-20-2008 08:41 AM

if you can make advance arrangements with a tow company (and time is flexible) you can get a pretty good deal on towing.

bennelson 03-20-2008 09:02 AM

I towed the Geo Metro myself with a car dolly ($40) from U-Haul.

Weather you can do that or not depends on what you have available for a tow vehicle. But it was cheap!