EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   Post your success stories in this sub-forum (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/post-your-success-stories-sub-forum-4340.html)

MetroMPG 08-04-2008 03:45 PM

Post your success stories in this sub-forum

Ben and I were talking and figured EM needed a dedicated area to collect & showcase EcoModders' success stories.

So feel free to toot your own horn and tell us all about things like:
... that kick-a#$ commute you had this morning

... the record fill-up you just had

... how well your latest mod is working

... how mastering a new ecodriving technique has boosted your fuel economy to a new level

... how much you're saving by biking/carpooling/public transit

... the effect your example is having on friends & family

... anything else that shows the positive results of modding your ride & the nut behind the wheel
(PS - if you happen to come across any existing threads in other sub-forums that would fit nicely into this area, let me know and I'll copy them over.)

Lazarus 08-04-2008 11:37 PM

Here's what I consider my success story:

When I started this journey a couple of years ago I had a household EPA of 23 mpg. It then progressed to 47 MPG by ditching the guzzlers and getting a more economical car for the wife and I modded the beater and my driving habits. I then proceeded to retire my car and now commute extensively on my bike in suburbia. The household EPA is now 55 MPG.

I've also cut my home energy use by 1/3 with a power monitor, CFL, insulation and modding my habits from observing the loads with the monitor.

The family has come around now and are on the program. We walk when distance allows and everyone is on the same page. Even the neighbors, who at one point though I was the mad scientist have slowly come around.

In these times it fun to see the effort slowly grow. Every week I see one more person that I've been in contact with become a convert and that a good thing.

Twerp 08-05-2008 12:46 AM

Tonight, I was out at dinner with a couple of my fiance's friends and the topic of fuel prices came up. I was talking mostly about my Civic which is STILL in the shop.:mad: After a bit of conversation, I asked our guests to guess what kind of mileage I was getting from my truck. After giving the full details (truck size, engine size transmission), the guess that was ventured was 18mpg. I raised some eyebrows when I told them that I have been averaging around 25mpg lately. Yep, I'm pretty happy about that.:cool: Plus you should hear the combination of prayer and expletives that come out when I mention that one 700mile tank that I had.:D

I really hope that this project becomes my next success story. It's coming along rather nicely, and by the time it's all painted, it should look pretty professional. If it saves me some gas, it will be even better.:thumbup:

Vince-HX 08-05-2008 04:58 AM

sweet!

ajax_6531 08-08-2008 03:58 AM

Record fill-up you say???

Welllll, since the great Civic is on jacks without a transmission, I've been using the F-150. Record fill-up for me this past week ---> $110 and some change.

I don't think it's something to brag about, though.

Twerp 08-08-2008 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajax_6531 (Post 51945)
Record fill-up you say???

Welllll, since the great Civic is on jacks without a transmission, I've been using the F-150. Record fill-up for me this past week ---> $110 and some change.

I don't think it's something to brag about, though.

Well, you never know. It could be something to brag about depending on how many miles you went on that tank. Ever thought about hypermiling/ecomodding the F150?

Noel 08-08-2008 09:39 AM

Please don't tell me you removed the starter to remove weight....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince-HX (Post 51014)
Did a little too much EOC at night and had to push start my car across an intersection.

Tourigjm 08-14-2008 05:05 PM

three tanks in a row, 42+ mpg.

Still trying to crack 45... its elusive

also had my first 400+ mile tank. 445 miles on 10.203 gal. that means i still had a little over 2 gallons left... coulda hit 500

ecoxantia 09-19-2008 03:42 AM

Results of adjusting that nut...

I now have 3 tanks of data since adopting some of the techniques advocated here - for example coasting, driving to load instead of speed. (I can't use EOC). That is, there's no physical mods, beyond slightly increased tyre pressures, and I'm using the same oils, tyres, and driving to speed limits.

Before: 41 mpg US
After 46mpg US, +12%

I'm pretty impressed, as I thought I was doing well already!

The figures I got previously were spot on the EU "combined" mpg figure, not bad for a 9 year old, 120 000 mile car.

(For the non-europeans, the Xantia is a 3200lb, 15 ft long, hatch with AC, 5 doors, diesel engine)

SickMPGs 10-17-2008 09:26 PM

Dude I just got back from a bussiness trip my company payed me 60 cents a mile. I drove 300 miles but just like Fred Flintstone I didnt use gas. Instead I used grease.........................Cha Ching. NY to PA. Cant wait to be sent to Texas.