EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Pre OBD Mpg Gauge??? Not Vaccum Gauge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/pre-obd-mpg-gauge-not-vaccum-gauge-4435.html)

forgottenmindset 08-08-2008 07:03 PM

Pre OBD Mpg Gauge??? Not Vaccum Gauge

Does anyone know of a MPG Gauge that you can buy that shows true real time miles per gallon?

Of course there's Scangauge for newer cars, but I drive a Car from the 80's and probably will continue for a long time.

I bought one that came out in the 60's but it only goes up to 25 miles per gallon, and doesn't come with instructions :confused: (it's a really complicated analog computer)

Someone's gotta make one that's better!

SVOboy 08-08-2008 07:06 PM

If you're fuel injected you can use the mpguino.

Welcome to EM

TrikeKid 08-08-2008 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 52125)
If you're fuel injected you can use the mpguino.

Welcome to EM

If you're electronic fuel injected you mean?

SVOboy 08-08-2008 09:00 PM

I can't type all those extra words, :p

bgd73 08-10-2008 09:20 PM

I seek one too. 87 carbed sube. Must be dynamical. I can go from mini dragster 20s mpg into the high 50s. all same engine, same carb same everything. Real engines do this, ECUs don't :confused: <-as you can see its a blue serious face versus -> :)
I had heard or maybe even seen the old mpg computers in a gm cadillac or maybe pintiac, thay had strange gadgets... anyway, the limit was the problem indeed. they used alot of fuel back then...

forgottenmindset 08-10-2008 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgd73 (Post 52472)
I seek one too. 87 carbed sube. Must be dynamical. I can go from mini dragster 20s mpg into the high 50s. all same engine, same carb same everything. Real engines do this, ECUs don't :confused: <-as you can see its a blue serious face versus -> :)
I had heard or maybe even seen the old mpg computers in a gm cadillac or maybe pintiac, thay had strange gadgets... anyway, the limit was the problem indeed. they used alot of fuel back then...

I've got a 1980 subie myself and would like to have one, which is why I'm going to build one using a digital gph meter for the fuel

Hey got an extra carb laying around?

Bullockracing 08-11-2008 04:23 PM

A lot of BMW models came with a MPG gauge. I had on in my 325ES, but it may be a PITA to get it to talk to the rest of the car...

forgottenmindset 08-11-2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullockracing (Post 52619)
A lot of BMW models came with a MPG gauge. I had on in my 325ES, but it may be a PITA to get it to talk to the rest of the car...

I've seen those in action, my guess is they're highly calibrated vacuum meters, but I could be wrong.

Bullockracing 08-12-2008 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forgottenmindset (Post 52637)
I've seen those in action, my guess is they're highly calibrated vacuum meters, but I could be wrong.

You may be right - when I had it gas was so cheap I never even paid attention to how it worked... The car did have a very complex onboard computer, though the gauge was an old-fashioned needle.