EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Prius goes 'round Nürburgring... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/prius-goes-round-nuerburgring-29502.html)

botsapper 07-15-2014 01:46 PM

Prius goes 'round Nürburgring...

...and sets a record. A TRD-prepped Toyota Prius Plug-In Hybrid sets the record-making fuel economy lap around the famous 'Ring's Nordschliefe circuit. The TRD 'aero' parts was primarily for styling rather than extreme aerodynamic efficiency but the Prius completed the 40 mph average lap in a 20 minutes and 59 seconds lap and still recorded a (converted) 698 mpg!

The 'Ring is heavily used by automakers to test and brag about the performance numbers of their high-end performance models, now they could follow Toyota's marketing and set 'efficiency' performance numbers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3_G5a54USI

VW XL1 licking lips.
Let's see some real aero-designed shapes/tech and even kitted with...boattails!

PaleMelanesian 07-15-2014 02:06 PM

So.... the plug-in Prius, rated for 12 miles of electric range, went around the 12 mile track slowly, almost entirely on electric propulsion. And this is news?

Fat Charlie 07-15-2014 02:12 PM

Next, Budweiser is going to advertise that their 12 packs have 12 beers in them. Even on the Nürburgring.

backpacker3 07-15-2014 02:45 PM

Tesla should send a model a out there and blow them away with infinite mpg. Lol

dirtydave 07-15-2014 02:53 PM

How many laps can the toyota do?

Daox 07-15-2014 02:53 PM

Agreed, non-news.

redpoint5 07-15-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtydave (Post 435602)

Only the 1 lap.

That's why they went around the track at bicycle speed. If they went as fast as it would go, it could do 1/4 of a lap.

dirtydave 07-15-2014 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 435611)
Only the 1 lap.

That's why they went around the track at bicycle speed. If they went as fast as it would go, it could do 1/4 of a lap.

Why would you drive so slow on a racetrack??

PaleMelanesian 07-15-2014 04:29 PM

To show that it can "go around the Nurburgring on electric power only!!!!!". Thing is, the plug-in Prius has a 12 mile electric range in normal conditions. And the track is 12 miles long. So you have to drive the racetrack at normal street speeds to actually make the distance before the electric runs out. After that it's a normal hybrid Prius, but that's no good for advertising.

dirtydave 07-15-2014 04:34 PM

12 miles seems useless honestly. I would much rather see it go around the track at full speed and how many laps it could do on 1 tank or 1 gallon or something like that.

elhigh 07-15-2014 04:52 PM

"Over a single lap..."

How will it do on the second lap? And the third, fourth, etc?

SHORT FILLS = BAD DATA.

elhigh 07-15-2014 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtydave (Post 435602)

ALL OF THEM.

It just isn't very impressive.

California98Civic 07-15-2014 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian (Post 435618)
To show that it can "go around the Nurburgring on electric power only!!!!!". Thing is, the plug-in Prius has a 12 mile electric range in normal conditions. And the track is 12 miles long. So you have to drive the racetrack at normal street speeds to actually make the distance before the electric runs out. After that it's a normal hybrid Prius, but that's no good for advertising.

Agreed. It's not really news on the issue of range and speed, but they did beat the EPA rating, multiplying it by something 500%, I guess, with just hypermiling and a couple significant but not revolutionary mods. That's kinda cool hypermiling/ecomodding, no? And check it out, Pale, your signature file says your commute is 11 miles. Get a plug-in station at work and you'll get 700 mpg-e all year 'round. That would be kinda cool, eh?

Cobb 07-15-2014 05:12 PM

Thats ok, once the average Joe gets one of these home and notices he has to stick the gas pump in it as much as the extension cord they wont be laughing at toyota long. :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by elhigh (Post 435622)
"Over a single lap..."

How will it do on the second lap? And the third, fourth, etc?

SHORT FILLS = BAD DATA.

botsapper 07-15-2014 05:18 PM

They did that 12.9 mile run while using 'almost' all-electric and five tablespoons of fuel, all the while keeping the thing barely above the MINIMUM speed limit (60km/h) at the 'Ring.

A spate of new 'minimum speed'...HYPERMILING records will be next.

redpoint5 07-15-2014 08:53 PM

I consider my commute to be shorter than average at 7 miles > 15min. I'd have to carefully drive the PiP to go round trip on 1 charge, however I bet I could get work to allow me to charge on site. In that case, I would still want to complete the 14 mile round trip so I could fully utilize their cheap electricity.

12 miles just isn't far enough to be worthwhile for most people. Range needs to be extended to 40 miles to really become beneficial.

oldtamiyaphile 07-16-2014 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 435655)
12 miles just isn't far enough to be worthwhile for most people. Range needs to be extended to 40 miles to really become beneficial.

Hence the hybrid.

PaleMelanesian 07-16-2014 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California98Civic (Post 435626)
And check it out, Pale, your signature file says your commute is 11 miles. Get a plug-in station at work and you'll get 700 mpg-e all year 'round. That would be kinda cool, eh?

I expect some people could extend that a few miles farther. ;) Still, it's not my cup of tea, at twice the price of my Fit.

redpoint5 07-16-2014 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile (Post 435730)
Hence the hybrid.

The electric wouldn't make much sense if I could nearly complete my commute on the battery, but then have the engine come on in the last 2 miles. Engines aren't efficient when cold, and 2 miles isn't enough time to get them up to operating temperature.

Too many people are in this position with the gas engine coming on for just the last portion of their commute, as I have observed in the Priuschat forum. I would guess that extending the range to even just 20 miles would eliminate the need for the gas engine to come on for most people...

I just did some research and am surprised to learn that a good portion of commuters have a commute of 5 miles or less in the U.S.

About 30% of people would be able to make a round trip to work and back on the 12 mile range of the Prius battery.

If people could plug in at work, that allows another 25% of commuters to make their journey on battery power alone.

Based on the info below, it seems 20 miles would be a good range for most people.

1-5 Miles 29 %
6-10 Miles 22 %
11-15 Miles 17 %
16-20 Miles 10 %
21-25 Miles 7 %
26-30 Miles 5 %
31-35 Miles 3 %
35 + Miles 8 %

jamesqf 07-25-2014 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 435817)
The electric wouldn't make much sense if I could nearly complete my commute on the battery, but then have the engine come on in the last 2 miles. Engines aren't efficient when cold, and 2 miles isn't enough time to get them up to operating temperature.

I don't quite see the logic of this. I mean, you have to do the inefficient* warmup anyway, regardless of whether it's at the start of your commute, or the end.

*Which isn't all that inefficient, at least in my Insight, which is the only vehicle I have with an mpg display.

vskid3 07-25-2014 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 437071)
I don't quite see the logic of this. I mean, you have to do the inefficient* warmup anyway, regardless of whether it's at the start of your commute, or the end.

He meant having enough battery range that the engine wouldn't even need to be used, so no warmup at all.

It would be interesting to see those commute stats broken down by state or even smaller areas.

Superfuelgero 07-26-2014 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 435817)

1-5 Miles 29 %
6-10 Miles 22 %
11-15 Miles 17 %
16-20 Miles 10 %
21-25 Miles 7 %
26-30 Miles 5 %
31-35 Miles 3 %
35 + Miles 8 %

I fall within the that 20 round trip, except I never go straight back and forth. I generally have to run errands and/or kids. A volt may do it, but it'd be close without a/c or heat. I think once this is counted in, those % are lower.

jamesqf 07-26-2014 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vskid3 (Post 437075)
He meant having enough battery range that the engine wouldn't even need to be used, so no warmup at all.

I don't think so. What was said was

Quote:

The electric wouldn't make much sense if I could nearly complete my commute on the battery, but then have the engine come on in the last 2 miles.
Which to me is saying that it's somehow not efficient to do 12 miles of a 14 mile trip on battery, because the last 2 miles would be starting with a cold engine. Which as I said, makes no sense to me.

Then consider that it'd take a really dumb battery controller to allow a cycle like that. Even in the example, the Prius was using the IC engine for hill climbs, so it would be warm.

redpoint5 07-26-2014 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 437114)
Which to me is saying that it's somehow not efficient to do 12 miles of a 14 mile trip on battery, because the last 2 miles would be starting with a cold engine.

It would be more efficient than doing the whole commute on ICE, but leaving only 2 miles of a trip for the engine to come on and warm up is considered severe duty. It wouldn't be good for the vehicle to have a commute that continually fails to fully warm up the engine.

That said, some people have reported as many as 20 miles on the battery alone in the PiP. If I had a commute that was close to the 12 mile advertised range, I would modify my driving to allow it to get the couple miles more that I need.

Xist 07-28-2014 04:19 AM

Awesome. If you drove Segway speeds (12.5 MPH), could you achieve Segway distances (24 miles)?

Why do those things still cost $6,800?! I could actually purchase one, but I am not spending that much!

hamsterpower 07-28-2014 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 437307)
Awesome. If you drove Segway speeds (12.5 MPH), could you achieve Segway distances (24 miles)?

Why do those things still cost $6,800?! I could actually purchase one, but I am not spending that much!

What is relevent about a Segway? The Segway is the dumbest product! There is not one use for a Segway that a bicycle could not do better.

As I understand it the purpose of the plug in Prius is to leave the city under electric power to reduce smog. Then drive normally outside city limits while charging up the batteries to then reenter the city again on battery power. If you want to commute on batteries get an electric car.

Cobb 07-28-2014 09:09 PM

Good point. :thumbup: Im guessing its because they are still being used by law enforcement and security. :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 437307)

Xist 08-05-2014 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobb (Post 437445)
Good point. :thumbup: Im guessing its because they are still being used by law enforcement and security. :eek:

Law enforcement and security and seemingly nobody else.

My autistic brother's iPad cost $2,500 because it is a medical device, but it is just a normal iPad with a great communications program.