EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hybrids (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hybrids.html)
-   -   Prius Hot-water bottle (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/prius-hot-water-bottle-13634.html)

Phantom 06-21-2010 03:10 PM

Prius Hot-water bottle

Not sure if this where I should be asking this but... Does anyone have the part numbers for the Prius hot coolant storage tank and diagrams on how it is ran?

Piwoslaw 06-22-2010 02:49 AM

Maybe not exactly an answer, but here are two threads that might be worth reading.
Keeping Engine Coolant Hot
Mimicking Gen3 Prius Exhaust Heat Recovery

SVOboy 06-23-2010 11:48 PM

I went to look it up for you, but the Toyota parts sites I've looked at in the past don't seem to have the prius.

Anyway, the best way to find that information is to check a shop manual or a parts site. Or you could even call up toyota and ask them or go into a dealership. The guys at my honda dealership are very nice and will always help me out with that sort of request.

Furthermore, I think the tank set up is pretty simply, just a tank with three lines, one in, one out, and one on some sort of control solenoid, IIRC.

:thumbup:

user removed 06-24-2010 07:41 AM

Over $1000 from Toyota.

regards
Mech

Daox 06-24-2010 07:49 AM

Yeah just the bottle is expensive. They're a couple hundred even from salvage yards.

NiHaoMike 06-24-2010 10:15 AM

Just modify a small water heater. Cheaper and you'll get a crankcase heater as well.

TexasCotton 07-04-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiHaoMike (Post 180557)
Just modify a small water heater. Cheaper and you'll get a crankcase heater as well.

Not that your idea is okay. However the Gen 2 Toyota Prius aluminun heat recovery coolant storage tank is design to fit a very tight spot near driver side left engine bay. Doax is right either source thru reliable used parts dealer, toyota zone website, and or local toyota parts counter..

Phantom 07-06-2010 03:21 PM

If I see one at a junk yard I will just say its a coolant overflow tank LOL.

Does anyone have a diagram of how its plumed an how the wiring is ran.

I figure that with a few controlled valves I could place it after my cars water pump at the elbow that runs to the Lower Intake Manifold allowing me to open the tank when starting using the pump to push the coolant out. Then close the tank and circulate the exiting coolant from two tees with one way valves in/after them allowing me to fill it with hot coolant. Or something along those lines but I'm not exactly sure how the Prius runs the system.

Daox 07-07-2010 08:15 AM

I know the system isn't incredibly simple. It has a temp sensor in the thermos to know when to open it up and when to keep it shut. It also uses a three way valve that controls when and where the coolant goes. At one point I had found or seen something about how it operated. However, I can't seem to find it now.

Rokeby 07-07-2010 10:56 AM

Discussion /drawings of the Gen II ICE coolant system/thermos tank begins on
pg. 4-8 in this document.

Sorry, don't know the Toyota OEM part number.
The "reserve tank" goes for ~$785 at this Internet site.

Hope this helps.