Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2008, 06:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
105 = 75

Recent testing on T-100: 80-mph,Monahans,Tx to Van Horn,Tx and back,with 20-mph wind.Up leg ( headwind),100-mph airspeed,123 miles,25.1-mpg.Return leg (immediately after top-off in Van Horn)(tailwind),27.7-mpg.Weather data from Monahans Municipal Airport.Plugging data into existing "map"yields a basically linear relationship between speed/mpg.Extrapolating to 105-mph,gives mpg at 105-mph as 23.3-mpg,the mileage truck used to get at 75-mph "naked".Agreed,its only a short run,however does provide never before tested data to add to T-100 soup.100-mph for 123 miles had truck running warmer,no overheating.Bonneville could be different story.She's rock-solid.Rounded edges are doing their job to foil yawing moments.109 mph ground speed in crosswind is okay.Airspeeds as high as 115-mph with plenty of throttle left over promise interesting speed potential.I need to focus on shop area,so vehicle projects are taking a back seat.Looks like a 10% drag reduction can mean an 11% improvement in mpg at 100-mph.I will work on those numbers some more.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-09-2008, 10:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Hi Phil - Do you have concrete plans to run the truck at Bonneville?
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 04-10-2008, 06:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Why not run the truck at the Texas Mile ?
( I know I asked you before Phil, but I thought I'd ask again .)

The Houston area where the track is located is so much closer to Denton than Nevada ( and you don't have the salt to worry about. Also Bonneville tends to flood a lot of the time. )
Old 04-10-2008, 07:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bonneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Hi Phil - Do you have concrete plans to run the truck at Bonneville?
I don't have concrete yet,but I've got sand and gravel.The rest of the year will tell me if I get to add the Portland cement.It's still going to be an expensive proposition to do,but I really want to know what she'll do,and Wendover's the only place where low power stream-liners have a chance to achieve top end.I'm very perturbed that the V-rated tires I might fit to the truck are wide.I'm almost thinking Goodyear racing tires would be the way to go.That means a trailer though,as I'd have to carry the racing rubber with me and put them on in Utah.Other than that,its a driveline sling,fire-extinguisher,and new Snell-approved bash hat.I could do the aero trailer and gap-fillers and go for Cd 0.11 and 47-mpg.They might even let me run the course pulling the trailer.I don't think its ever been done.There's 290,000 miles on the truck,however she's strong and willing,and I think she's good for a LSR.Just have to see how the year unfolds.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
Ohh, so you're the infamous Phil Knox! The picture of your truck has been thrown around this site so many times I've lost count...

Your truck has been a great deal of inspiration. Hopefully you won't mind answering a few questions.

1.) What is the estimated Cd?

2.) What is the estimated change in Cd from stock?

3.) Is there anywhere I can find pictures of the mods you have made? I've only seen that one aerial, 3/4 view.

4.) What did you build your fairings out of? Fiberglass, plastic?

Good luck with racing.

- LostCause
Old 04-17-2008, 03:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

LostCause,the T-100 is estimated at Cd0.24,down from 0.44,as published by Toyota.The original photos are over at E.V.World website.I've got quite a few pics of the truck at maxmpg in the PHOTOS section.The original shell was R-MAX foamboard from HOME DEPOT,covered with fiberglas cloth and polyester resin,also from HOME DEPOT.The "new" shell is part of a Chrysler sailboat.Bellypan is recycled corrugated fiberglass mobile home shower surrounds over aluminum angle.Boattail is plywood,doorskin,and shaped styrofoam.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Just curious... what was the average altitude above sea level? Any idea what the pressure was?

And whoa! 290K miles Nice work :P
Old 04-18-2008, 06:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
What class are you thinking of competing in, Phil?

From what I’ve seen, get a trailer and an RV. A trip to Bonneville is an adventure in logistics. Besides, serious race vehicles always arrive on a trailer. Engineering is a collection of managed compromises and the trailer eases the compromises towards going fast.

As a prelude to Bonneville, some people now try the Texas Mile. http://www.texasmile.net/ One-fifth scale Bonneville on pavement. Not quite the logistical nightmare of Bonneville.
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
Old 04-19-2008, 01:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bonneville quanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
Just curious... what was the average altitude above sea level? Any idea what the pressure was?

And whoa! 290K miles Nice work :P
I think Wendover is about 4,300-feet elevation.Sorry,don't have barometric pressure data for those two days.Roadburn,lack of sleep,etc.,makes for sloppy data gathering.I suppose NOAA could provide the data from their archives.It's kind of hectic out there,pulling stuff off the car and then getting back in line to run again.Curiously,the car ran faster at the Chrysler Proving Grounds,with 42-degree air.I have complete weather data for those runs,as CAR and DRIVER carry weather recording instruments with them when they test there.Best I can figure,is that even though the drag was higher with the denser air,the engine was developing closer to its rated power,good for about a 1-1/2-mph higher topspeed ( 98 vs 96.6 mph ).Around Lubbock,Tx the car pulled a clean 100-mph on numerous occasions.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bonneville -class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
What class are you thinking of competing in, Phil?

From what I’ve seen, get a trailer and an RV. A trip to Bonneville is an adventure in logistics. Besides, serious race vehicles always arrive on a trailer. Engineering is a collection of managed compromises and the trailer eases the compromises towards going fast.

As a prelude to Bonneville, some people now try the Texas Mile. http://www.texasmile.net/ One-fifth scale Bonneville on pavement. Not quite the logistical nightmare of Bonneville.
Big Dave,the Utah Salt Flats Racing Assoc. has a pre-Speedweek weekend,where members can do final shakedowns before the big event.They let me run the CRX as an experimental daily-driver streamliner.I was interested in accurate top speed data for the aero kit and during the "fully-dressed" runs,inadvertently set a club speed record for 1.3-liter,normally-aspirated,gas,coupe.The T-100,with present gearing hits it's horsepower peak at 128-mph.The truck redlines at 158-mph.For the aero and rolling-resistance loads documented on the truck,it looks like I might squeeze 130-mph out of it.Don't know.To make the attempt,I've got to have at least V-rated tires.The tires I've looked at are so wide,I don't want them,and am now looking at Goodyear racing tires.That means I have to carry them to Utah and switch at the course.I thought,since I have to pull a trailer,why not make it a streamliner trailer which integrates to the T-100,with fully articulated gap fillers,which all together,creates a streamliner thats 33-feet long and Cd0.11? Formulas say it would be good for 47-mpg on the interstate.Aside from running the truck,the USFRA might let me run the truck/trailer combination on the course.I don't know of anyone who's attempted that,and I'm intrigued by the possiblities! Also,it gives me kind of a gypsy-mobile that I can sleep out of for the round-trip,'cause my finances aren't any better than Burt Munro's.It would be quite an adventure.