EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Problems with EOC (will it harm Crown Vic steering?) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/problems-eoc-will-harm-crown-vic-steering-16433.html)

224vicky 03-13-2011 04:17 PM

Problems with EOC (will it harm Crown Vic steering?)

Hi everyone. I am second guessing whether or not I will continue coasting with the engine off... When I first re-start my car and a few miles after, the power steering has a slight vibration.

When they made some revisions to the Crown Vic in 2003 (mine's an 08), they gave it a rack and pinion. The first year the rack was well known for early failure. What I am saying is that the problem with the rack and pinion is resolved and will last the life of the car. What concerns me is that this practice of eoc is ruining my cars rack!

Thanks,

224 vicky:)

Weather Spotter 03-13-2011 05:13 PM

I do not think this should be an issue. All the power steering does is help move the rack, when it is off you just have to do it by your self.

What type of vibration does it do ( I worked at a company that made most of GM's steering parts, so I might have some useful info :) )?

WE3ZS 03-13-2011 07:41 PM

I may be wrong but.........Coasting with the engine OFF in an automatic trans car can be very bad for the trans. The fluid pumps are typically driven from the input end. I'm pretty sure all late model Crown Vic's are slushboxes.

SentraSE-R 03-13-2011 09:44 PM

+1. EOC should only be done on cars that can be flat towed with all 4 wheels on the ground. Most AT cars aren't flat-towable, and most hypermilers know which cars are the exceptions. AFAIK, Crown Vics aren't on the list.

224vicky 03-14-2011 12:57 AM

Thanks for your replies

The Crown Victoria is able to be flat-towed upwards of 35 mph. I don't go above that speed with the car in neutral and the engine off. I don't really know any tow-trucks that would be willing to drive a max of 35 mph's so I request a flat bed.

And yes, all Vics are slushboxes. My next car will be a stick partially based on what I just wrote above.

Weather spotter: Thank you for your concern! It is a slight pulsation but not bad. Since then I've done no eoc. It reminded me of my friends 03 GMC Seirra 3500 when the truck was just started... the power steering boost was kind of... "twitchy".

SentraSE-R 03-14-2011 11:29 AM

Thanks for the info on Crown Vics being flat-towable. I don't see how EOC could cause PS problems, but I've been wrong before. The few dollars you save with EOC would get swallowed up fast in the cost of a rack & pinion replacement. That's a tough call.

MetroMPG 03-14-2011 12:41 PM

I'd be reluctant to EOC in such a heavy vehicle mostly because unassisted steering effort will be significant should you ever need to do anything other than maintain course.

Weather Spotter 03-14-2011 12:49 PM

Does your power steering system pulse on a normal start up? I bet that the pulse is comming from the pump as it gets up to speed.

SentraSE-R 03-14-2011 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 225352)
I'd be reluctant to EOC in such a heavy vehicle mostly because unassisted steering effort will be significant should you ever need to do anything other than maintain course.

It's likely nowhere near that bad. My family owned two Ford Galaxy 500s w/o PS before my dad bought a Crown Vic. The Galaxies were just as large, and nearly as heavy, but we only had problems steering them when parking. Steering effort was not a problem with speeds >5 mph.

roflwaffle 03-14-2011 07:22 PM

At speed it should be no problem. One of my friend's dad had an old chevy van w/o functional power steering and even though it required both arms and a good pull to turn it when it was stopped once it was moving there were no issues. Granted, you can't turn w/ a finger like with older PS systems, but the effort is only a bit harder than speed sensitive PS.

224vicky 03-14-2011 09:14 PM

Eoc

Thanks again, weather spotter. It's when I restart shortly after eoc. When it's been sitting for a while and then I start it, it doesn't have any vibration.

I ONLY eoc when it's a large, open parking lot, when their isn't any traffic and I am confident that it's safe... We are talking about speeds from 15mpg then to a stop to park forward in a parking space.

MetroMPG 03-14-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SentraSE-R (Post 225420)
It's likely nowhere near that bad. My family owned two Ford Galaxy 500s w/o PS before my dad bought a Crown Vic. The Galaxies were just as large, and nearly as heavy, but we only had problems steering them when parking. Steering effort was not a problem with speeds >5 mph.

Don't forget that large cars with manual steering likely would have had different ratios than a power assisted one.

Weather Spotter 03-14-2011 09:53 PM

Metro is correct. Ps modles have diff designs. If its only after EOC. I a thinking it is just the system reballancing. It should not.be.an.issue.

Joenavy85 03-15-2011 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SentraSE-R (Post 225420)

yeah but you need to keep in mind there is a difference between a vehicle without power steering and one with power steering but no power. without power to the power steering you have to fight the hydraulic fluid when steering, with no power steering you only fight the wheel resistance.