EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Project: Del Sol Kammback Trial Mockup (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/project-del-sol-kammback-trial-mockup-7587.html)

jedi_sol 03-24-2009 05:13 PM

Project: Del Sol Kammback Trial Mockup

5 Attachment(s)
So I got the idea of putting a kammback on the back of my Del Sol thanks to some senior members of this forum. Here's what I was able to do with a couple hours of time and cardboard.

Do you guys think its worth continuing (perfecting?)

jedi_sol 03-24-2009 05:14 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Pics continued

jedi_sol 03-24-2009 05:17 PM

5 Attachment(s)
pics continued 01

jedi_sol 03-24-2009 05:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Pics continued 02

SVOboy 03-24-2009 05:42 PM

What's the angle on it? It would be worth fiberglassing with a lexan window for sure if the airflow is attached. Nice work!

PS: I think the angle might be a little too steep. Run some tuft testing trials and see.

jedi_sol 03-24-2009 05:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 93985)
What's the angle on it? It would be worth fiberglassing with a lexan window for sure if the airflow is attached. Nice work!

PS: I think the angle might be a little too steep. Run some tuft testing trials and see.

Angle from roof to trunk is approx 14*.

My first concept image has an angle of 11*.

PS: I haven't done anything scientific about this project, I was just testing a mockup to see if it's worth continuing.

Thanks for all of your input.

groar 03-25-2009 02:53 PM

great :thumbup:

do you feel a difference in your car behavior ?

With my rear wheel skirts, the car coasts longer and I feel the car more nervous.

Denis.

PS I note the idea of using double side tape to second the single side tape to attach the coroplast more securely when I'll try a coroplast kammback.

NeilBlanchard 03-25-2009 03:52 PM

Hi,

It might help to try and curve the initial transition off the back of the roof?

aspera 03-29-2009 09:50 AM

Clear engine lid cover/fastback style for the MR2? - NASIOC

The rear window area of a Del Sol is similar to an SW20 MR2. Check out what the MR2 guys in Japan have done. You won't need slots because you don't have a hot engine back there. ;)

Christ 03-29-2009 09:02 PM

Hm... amazing how the DelSol starts looking like a CRX when you put a kamm on it...

Looks great! I don't think Lexan would be too far off for a good looking customization that would also improve aero substantially.

aspera 03-29-2009 10:12 PM

You already know that..."Based on the Civic platform, the Del Sol was the successor to the popular Honda CR-X."
:p

Lexan might not be perfect. True. But check out how they attached it. They put two tabs on each inside edge of the C-posts and used Dzus fasteners.

Fiberglass might work for this Del Sol, and I think you could just blend it in to the plastic trailing edge of the roof/C-posts. I'm not sure how that part bolts on to the Del Sol, though. You'd also have to deal wit the trunk.

Does the trunk on the Del Sol open forward or backwards. I know there was a motorized version that opened backwards. Maybe you could use those hinges and build your Kamm tail on to the trunk lid. ???

vtec-e 03-30-2009 08:55 AM

That looks good Jedi Sol. It would even look stock if done in something like lexan or perspex. Have you considered going the whole hog and making a boattail??:thumbup::D
Best of luck with the project. Keep us posted

ollie

jedi_sol 03-30-2009 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspera (Post 94675)

That looks really sweet! However, the angle from the roof to the end of the C-pillar is too severe to be aerodynamically beneficial.

jedi_sol 03-30-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspera (Post 94744)
Lexan might not be perfect. True. But check out how they attached it. They put two tabs on each inside edge of the C-posts and used Dzus fasteners.

That sounds like a good idea. The roof does have a lip that juts out, that could be mounting points for the fasteners (or hinges). This would create a more flush fitting (as opposed to sticking the cardboard underneath the roof.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspera (Post 94744)
Does the trunk on the Del Sol open forward or backwards. I know there was a motorized version that opened backwards. Maybe you could use those hinges and build your Kamm tail on to the trunk lid. ???

Unfortunately the trunk opens forwards.

Only in dreams (skip to 51 sec):
http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q...ereo2002/Texas Heatwave 2008/?action=view&current=MVI_0865_mpeg2video.flv

MetroMPG 03-30-2009 01:57 PM

I'll echo what's already been mentioned: the transition at the end of the roof may be too abrupt. Maybe better to think in terms of arcs, not planes. (Harder to do mock up though.)

As well, the ideal shape of the "shoulders" (where it transitions from "side" to "top") should be generously rounded if possible, rather than sharp.

I think it's worth pursuing.

Toko 04-01-2009 12:35 AM

Nice. It actually reminds me more of the first gen insight than the crx.

Johnsauce 04-13-2009 11:09 PM

Why not just trade it in for a CRX or insight?

botsapper 04-13-2009 11:35 PM

Same profile as my long gone, MX-3.

It maybe serendipitous but make comparative measurements with your Sol with pick-a-part MX-3 rear glass. It maybe a good shape for your aero rear slope.

Or see if this could work for you. http://www.c5racer.com/catalog/image...ar-lexan-1.jpg

jedi_sol 04-14-2009 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnsauce (Post 97613)
Why not just trade it in for a CRX or insight?

Then I have nothing to do over the summer :p

MetroMPG 04-14-2009 10:52 AM

Good answer!