Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2014, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
Tire size and type on an '05 Focus

The tires that came with the car are (front) 205/50R16 OHTSU Zexius 427xi 87V and (rear) 205/55R16 Hankook Optimo H426 89H. Stock size is 205/50R16 all around so the rears are a little taller than stock. It's getting near time to replace all of them so I'm researching the most cost effective options. I will mount and balance and align myself so costs are limited to tire and shipping costs only.

Conditions: I'll be moving to a sunny/hot climate so all season isn't really necessary. Most driving will be freeway commuting, say 75% or greater. I'm kind of past rippin' around corners on the street and it's unlikely I'll do autocross or track days in the next several years so max grip is not a big deal. Plan on keeping the car for another 10 years, so I'll wear these next tires out. I'll run pressures probably 10 psi over sticker or a little under the sidewall maximum whichever is less, about 45 psi -ish.

First issue is size since this usually costs almost nothing to play with.
Going up moderately in diameter from 205/50r16 (20-21 lbs) with a load of 87 to 195/60r16 (18-19 lbs) with a load of 89 is the current plan. Alternatively just using a 205/55R16 (20-22 lbs) with a load of 91 is a popular alternative.
Not sure which one would be better for FE but I'm guessing the 195/60 would be a little better due to lighter weight and higher load rating than stock.

The second is type, but this can affect first cost and lifecycle costs alot. It also affects the number of available choices. So far I've come to believe that the Michelin Energy Saver (not A/S) is the best for fuel efficiency. Onlinetires has these in 195/60s for $130 incl shipping, UTQG of 400 which I'm guessing will be the best comination for FE. The very cheapest silica tread tires are off brands in 205/55 for ~$57 incl shipping, UTQG of 320.

The silica tread compound aids in fuel efficiency.

Doing some research, the off brands actally get pretty good user reviews. As with any tire from any brand some like them, some don't.

So the big question is, am I better off getting the silica tread off brand tires or the pricey Michelin? OR is there a better answer?

Last edited by beatr911; 04-29-2014 at 06:45 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread