Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2011, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
How does the MPGuino handle extreme heat ?

Since it gets to probably 130*+ inside my car on a hot day ( I live in Texas )
what kind of damage will the heat cause the MPGuino if mounted just behind the steering wheel or on the dash ?
I have a SuperMID that works great, but doesn't like the heat. I would think I would get the same results with a MPGuino .

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Bump
Old 08-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Grey Goose (Retired) - '89 Geo Metro LSI 4 door hatch back
Last 3: 57.16 mpg (US)

Tweety - '91 Geo Metro Convertible -2 Door convertible LSI
Team Metro
90 day: 43.97 mpg (US)

Shadow - '02 Honda Shadow VT1100
90 day: 43.46 mpg (US)

Sonic - '07 Honda CBR1000RR
90 day: 42.69 mpg (US)

Filmore - '84 Volkswagen Vanagon
90 day: 20.9 mpg (US)
My MPGuino has survived many years of extreme heat and cold (100 deg F summers and sub zero winters). No issues with operation at all. The only thing in summer time is when the car is parked in direct sunlight windows closed, that the LCD screen washes out full black. This temporary condition stays until the temps come down a bit after venting the hot air.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thank you for the reply doviatt

This thread is now nearly a year old and has had over 580 views. :-O

Based on what you have stated, I feel compelled to jump for one now .
My other issue was battery drain.
I hardly ever drive, but would like to have the unit plugged in at all times.
Will i lose data if it is unplugged ? And how long would it take to drain the battery?

If I leave the SuperMID plugged in constantly, the screen stays on even with keys out of the ignition. This is not very good, since vandals see this bright glowing screen beckoning them to take it. Does the MPGuino screen stay on constantly even with the key out of the ignition ?

Thanks
Old 08-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
I hardly ever drive, but would like to have the unit plugged in at all times.
Will i lose data if it is unplugged ? And how long would it take to drain the battery?
It may take a month, or so, to drain the battery to the point where your car won't start without being jumped. I haven't done a battery draw test on mine, though.

The installation instructions call for the MPGuino to be wired into a battery supply wire, not a switched ignition wire. The device settings are stored in EEPROM, so they'll be retained if the MPGuino were to be disconnected from the car. However, if you unplug your MPGuino, it will lose all of its trip data, because that is only saved in the device RAM.

Now, there are EM members here (me, for instance, or meelis), who have modified their MPGuino code such that we can save trip data into EEPROM so that it remains intact, even if the MPGuino itself were to be removed from the car.

Quote:
If I leave the SuperMID plugged in constantly, the screen stays on even with keys out of the ignition. This is not very good, since vandals see this bright glowing screen beckoning them to take it. Does the MPGuino screen stay on constantly even with the key out of the ignition ?
It shouldn't, not if the vehicle is not running and not moving. One of the device settings in the MPGuino is a delay timeout, which causes the LED backlighting to shut off after a set amount of time. The base MPGuino is set to shut off the backlighting after 7 minutes.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Grey Goose (Retired) - '89 Geo Metro LSI 4 door hatch back
Last 3: 57.16 mpg (US)

Tweety - '91 Geo Metro Convertible -2 Door convertible LSI
Team Metro
90 day: 43.97 mpg (US)

Shadow - '02 Honda Shadow VT1100
90 day: 43.46 mpg (US)

Sonic - '07 Honda CBR1000RR
90 day: 42.69 mpg (US)

Filmore - '84 Volkswagen Vanagon
90 day: 20.9 mpg (US)
It probably takes more energy to keep the car clock updated than it does maintaining the memory on the MPGuino. I would guess your battery drains faster from neglect than you could measure from the MPGuino use. Don't worry. Just get one, plug it in, enjoy the fun. The savings alone from instant info and driving change result is worth any electrical loss.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Green frog - '97 Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDI 81kW
Diesel
90 day: 43.1 mpg (US)
I made some amp draw tests and if I remember correctly, it takes about 20mA when screen backlight is off (after 7 minute timeout).
Of course you can use middle button to switch to brightness 0 - backlight off.

I made changes in my code, that display will be turned completely off (nothing is visible) and atmega chip goes to sleep mode. Now it draws under 5mA - about 4 times less than before.
If you use code that saves tank trip to eeprom (code changes are in wiki hacks), then you also can unplug it if you know that car will not be used in 10days or more. If less, dont bother to unplug it.

You also can install small solar panel that keeps your car battery full (clock, radio, ECU, alarm etc. always draw some power). I have 5watt panel so less worries about drained battery.

I have not seen issues in extreme heat. In winter when temperature is -10C or below, then display updates slowly. When it warms up, display is normal again.

Meelis
Old 08-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Meelis, I'm glad to hear from you.

I have a 1993 Civic automatic. ( ODB I ? ) What features will not work in my car with your codes ?
Old 08-27-2013, 03:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Green frog - '97 Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDI 81kW
Diesel
90 day: 43.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Meelis, I'm glad to hear from you.

I have a 1993 Civic automatic. ( ODB I ? ) What features will not work in my car with your codes ?
They all should work - it does not use any OBD standard for communication. All calculations/gauges are based on these things: voltage input, speed sensor, injector signal and time

Meelis