Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2015, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Jack

EZOne3 Electric 3-Wheeler Kickstarter

I started working on this EZOne3 about 8 years ago.
The car is now being finished, and I plan to launch a kickstarter campaign in a couple months to start production of a kit to build them.

The real key to any car is the body, and the primary reason for a kickstarter is to raise the funds to pay for making the molds to produce a lightweight and inexpensive body. In addition, I will be producing 'version two' of the car that will use Prius components and have almost everything wireless and electronically controlled, for example, no mechanical steering, which frees up space significantly in a car this size, and should make room to carry two persons.

I will reveal the completed body in a week or so, but wanted to get started on getting some feedback on the plan. The questions are mostly how to structure the kit. I'm thinking I will offer just the body itself, no chassis or drivetrain.
And maybe just the drivetrain also?
Any feedback appreciated. Just getting started on the marketing, so excuse the lack of details and polish, but have updated my website after 8 years of not having touched it! Nimble Motorsports Home of the EZOne3 Electric Kit Car

The current 'version one' of the car without body or batteries as shown weighs in at 490lbs using the Geo Metro components.

Here I am taking it for a spin:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nimblemotors For This Useful Post:
IamIan (03-07-2015), ME_Andy (03-08-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-28-2015, 12:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Jack

The current plan right now is to price this car at $3,900.
After the kickstarter deliveries, general public price would be $5,900.
I'm thinking offering two deposit levels, $39 and $390,
and a completed turnkey all carbon fiber special at $39,000.

The vehicle is a kit. The price includes a complete body and chassis and electronics.
It would require many parts from Prius, including the wheels, suspension components, transaxle, inverter. And then a battery pack.

I appreciate any feedback.

Let me ask a technical question about aerodynamics. I can finish the front of the car with either a more blunt front end or add more 'slope' to the hoodline.
The XL1 has a pretty blunt front end which pushes the air around the car, whereas other cars (EV-1) have more slope and direct more air over the top. XL1 style make for a shorter car, so I tend to that design, but more slope looks a bit more 'racey'. And looks are very important.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Focus - '05 Ford Focus tdci Futura
I like the idea. Because i.m playing with something similar in my head. But i see a big problem (for myself). This being safety. There is no protection in the frame. And it would be realy hard to make a body that does it. I would like a safe and sturdy construction around me because i would be driving it in heavy traffic. Here in the netherlands there aren.t alot of thos big suv.s and pickups. But still. Safety is a number 1 for me

Old 02-28-2015, 09:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Jack

The body provides the protection.
Just like it does for just about every car made. They stopped making body-on-frame cars a long time ago. Version Two will not have a steel frame like this one. V2 is basically a whole new car, but uses the current body as a buck for making a mold for the outer panels of the new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelB NL View Post
I like the idea. Because i.m playing with something similar in my head. But i see a big problem (for myself). This being safety. There is no protection in the frame. And it would be realy hard to make a body that does it. I would like a safe and sturdy construction around me because i would be driving it in heavy traffic. Here in the netherlands there aren.t alot of thos big suv.s and pickups. But still. Safety is a number 1 for me
Old 02-28-2015, 10:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
IMHO Too much complexity and cost ($39k). Does an EV that light yet powerful even need a transmission?

Old 03-01-2015, 01:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
IMHO Too much complexity and cost ($39k). Does an EV that light yet powerful even need a transmission?
$39k is all carbon fiber special built version for people who support the effort.
Yours would be $3,900. What do you mean by complexity? An EV does need a tranmission to transmit the motor rotation to the wheels, and a differential for going around corners, and a reverse gear to go backwards, and a gear reduction to increase motor rpm. All quite useful features for 45lbs.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
The body provides the protection.
Just like it does for just about every car made. They stopped making body-on-frame cars a long time ago. Version Two will not have a steel frame like this one. V2 is basically a whole new car, but uses the current body as a buck for making a mold for the outer panels of the new one.
Not that it wouldnt be posible. More that it would weight more to do Than when you would inlclude it in the frame i would think. Even because you say you would use the outside for V2. How doe you want to strengthen it on the inside? With an extra frame?

Old 03-01-2015, 11:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Jack

Google 'monocoque chassis'

Old 03-01-2015, 02:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
Google 'monocoque chassis'

you do know that your frame is a flat plate. And this monocouqe has alot of protection.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Jack

Indy One

The body is getting closer. Just incredible how much time it takes to build a custom car body.

In any case, I have come to the conclusion that EZOne3 is not a good name.
Too techy. So right now the top candidate is the "Indy One".
Why "Indy One"? Becomes this car is all about Independence.

Independence from Oil.
Independence from the Big Car Companies.

A key to the success of taking on the billionaire giants, is this car will be built locally, using the substantial network of local mechanics all over the country.
Not built in a "mega factory" using robots, but built using the hands of local mechanics. This is a substantial set of skilled people that are your neighbors.
And of course, you can build it yourself with your own hands as well.
Independently.

Reply  Post New Thread